2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

No need to apologize,... the power was out in our building at work and I was working on my laptop using my phone for Wi Fi. My OCD had already noticed the graining , and I thought I might as well put up an explanation on the colour variation.

I didn't see your emoji (obviously) and but figured you were joking, and then sitting at my desk in the afternoon darkness , I really got into looking at the new door. :eek::eek:.
The biggest problem with having OCD is that the letters are not in alphabetical order.

Build update.

We were on the 6:15 AM ferry to the Island this morning to meet with Robert, go over the build since we were last there, oooh and ahhh over the work that had been done since our last visit , bring some stuff home that was needed when Robert was working on the build and get caught up on things.

1. Windows - still on a truck somewhere between the lower mainland and Robert's shop. If they fit install will take less than half a day.
The cabin door takes a stock window and Robert went ahead and cut the window opening.

2. Electronics - All the wiring has been pulled and everything electrical is either installed or in the process of being installed with the exception of the joystick controller for the Furuno 12 " display. Gavin from SeaComm will be hooking everything up next week.

3. Yamaha controls - everything has been installed and cabling has been pulled to the stern. The hook ups will be left to Breakers Marine.

4. Upholstery is all finished and installed. Note: with the exception of the Shock wave seats all the rest of the upholstery can be removed (it is attached by snaps.

5. Furnace is installed and we had it running today in the shop.

So let's get to the photos.

Cuddy Cabin

1642406681916.png

My wife relaxing and leaning back in the bow of the V berth.

1642402447977.png

Me with my pony tail ( growling my hair out to donate for wigs for cancer patients)-there is a ongoing need for natural grey hair for wigs. Artificial grey hair looks like artificial hair. Note I am 6'3" and a bit and have room to lean back and relax and I can stretch out completey to sleep on the V -birth)

1642402476310.png

Access Panel to Anchor Locker

1642402534580.png

Rear Access panel for co pilots dash wiring and forced air heating hoses. Snap on panels in the upholstery material will cover the opening. Note LED reading light (one on each side of V-berth)

1642402730027.png

24" x 24" Escape/ventilation hatch. My wife can handle fenders and lines kneeling up in the hatch opening , or she can pop up and sit on foredeck.

1642402887936.png

Main Light in V-berth area, note wiring behind intrument panel (Driver's s

1642402961991.png

Last edited:
Inside the Cabin - progress report.

Well things are just about done in the cabin. We are still missing one fire extinguisher, and we have the Transport Canada Vessel registration plate to install, as well as, a few other things.

Dash laid out (sans screen controller) , Tilt wheel installed.

1642403754489.jpeg

Furuno Navnet TZ touch 12" display and Icom M 506 VHF (with AIS)

1642403851926.png

Better Dash shot (has perspective)

1642406785094.png

Last edited:
Furnace Control and rear seat Cabinet.

External furnace control (there is a remote -not shown)

1642406482725.jpeg

One of of two fire extinguishers will live here, along with AED kit ( automated external defibrillator, works on wet decks), First Aid Kit, tool bag ,etc.

1642406548333.png

Moving outside the cabin

Drop down table for stove / BBG| with heat shield.

1642407392513.png

1642407471308.png

Table opened up

1642407527457.png

Waterproof exterior storage box with snap on removable cushion . Lockable, under the overhang (sun and weather protection), waterproof.

Note step up to gunnel.

1642407527457.png

External seat, waterproof storage, locking, positioned under roof for sun and rain protection.

1642411545373.png

Bait board under stern seat

1642411840693.png

Stern Seating - secondary steering station

1642412377556.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking into and up into cabin roof through centre windshield.

Note twin defrost/ventilation fans

1642412673368.png

Side decks - non slip (same as foredecks and cabin / cockpit flooring)

1642412773443.png

Weird reflective photo showing thickness of transom door

1642413207894.png

1642412556503.png

I found an old JaxonCraft ad from the Thunderbird Marine site (no date).

The seakeeping and the build qualities of the boat are emphasized.

Interestingly, I knew Robert had "worked "at Eagle Craft, he mentioned it in passing ,what Robert neglected to tell us that he had been the lead builder. Robert is not a horn tooter.

This is not your typical aluminum boat. Robert Jackson, the builder, was the lead builder for Daigle Marine (Eagle Craft) for years. It is a commercial grade heavy duty build complete with double box guards, large deck scuppers, and many professional features. The hull is 1/4″ schedule 5086 aluminum alloy, the sides are 3/16″.

This Jaxoncraft does not ride like a typical production aluminum boat either. The transom has a 21.5 degree deadrise , the bow entry is 38 degrees true, making for a soft , dry ride. The twin four stroke Yamaha outboards are counter rotating with Racor filters and have mostly trolling fishing hours. The single 120 gallon fuel tank gives it a 400 plus mile range. The Garmin 5212 touchscreen is a chartplotter, fishfinder, and radar unit. There are twin Yamaha digital fuel gauges, Icom VHF, Sony stereo, remote control search/flood light, dual Optima batteries, trim tabs, lots of enclosed storage, 2 locking rod compartments, dri-deck anti skid rubber flooring, work/fish cleaning tray, and safety equipment. The owner is buying a bigger boat. Ask about moorage in West Van. Call anytime for an appointment to view. Trailer in picture not included.

Last edited:
Boat is shaping up nicely. Nice options. I like the rear seat and the high back Shockwave.

Can I make a suggestion. A small lip similar to your bbq tray around your second station for storing items used often. Maybe a flasher, couple spoons, pliers, knife, remote, drink (cup holder?), random stuff that is needed while fishing or cruising without it sliding around everywhere. Could put some non skid down there even.

Screenshot_20220117-102008_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Such a great idea to have some storage trays that solid like that.
A ship's carpenter that was doing some work on the bigger boat put fiddles around some wasted space at the back of a bench.
It is a much more elegant solution than throwing everything into the sink!

Boat is shaping up nicely. Nice options. I like the rear seat and the high back Shockwave.

Can I make a suggestion. A small lip similar to your bbq tray around your second station for storing items used often. Maybe a flasher, couple spoons, pliers, knife, remote, drink (cup holder?), random stuff that is needed while fishing or cruising without it sliding around everywhere. Could put some non skid down there even.

View attachment 74016

I really like your idea. The build is too far along to be adding an aluminum lip. I think adding another of the stainless fold down cup holders we used in the cabin might work there. I think a piece of heavy rubber mat that wrapped around the base of the rear wheel flange and filled in the square might be a good idea. It could have a cut in it to allow it to be installed and removed after fishing to keep things clean and de-stink-ified.

I really like your idea. The build is too far along to be adding an aluminum lip. I think adding another of the stainless fold down cup holders we used in the cabin might work there. I think a piece of heavy rubber mat that wrapped around the base of the rear wheel flange and filled in the square might be a good idea. It could have a cut in it to allow it to be installed and removed after fishing to keep things clean and de-stink-ified.
You could make something up with starboard that just screws down. Even just a tray on each side or something. Flasher slots. Could be great

Morning @Bill 310,

Build is looking great! Great lines great layout and quality build.

A couple observations that you're probably already considered but just in case I wonder the following;

1. For the aft steering station - presumable this is for slow speed handling such as trolling or picking up traps. At slow speeds, a smaller diameter wheel is advantageous. Suggest considering an 11" wheel as it will provide a quicker response / transition lock to lock, and it will also provide more clearance for fingers/hands between the wheel and the seat / railings etc. 11", rubber coated, with a permanent speed knob (not a bolt on knob);

Something like this; https://www.amazon.com/Pebbly-Beach-Stainless-Marine-Steering/dp/B08XM9WG46?dchild=1

2. For the AED, are you sure it's ok to store a high energy device in the same compartment as a fuel cell? Granted it's a diesel cell for the furnace however I would want to clarify if that's ok. Diesel fuel will burn with the right conditions...

3. Scotty downrigger ball holders are available in white and also black. I see you have the white ones on there. Black might disappear better against your wrap color. Something cheap and quick to consider at any time.

4. The step on the side of the gunnel - from the photos it looks like it might have the potential to slice your leg open if you slide across it at high speed high impact during the chaos of landing fish / dealing with traps. Would it work if it was made to only be flush with the shelf and not protrude into the cockpit? Or maybe if you find the edge is sharp you could have the builder weld some 1/2" rod to the outside edge to eliminate and sharp edges.

5. Thermostat / controller for the furnace - presumable the thermostat is built into the controller? Is there enough airflow around the controller to permit the thermostat to get the flow it needs to accurately read the temperature? Needs are flow / space around all edges of the thermostat to read properly.

6. Furnace installation - most boats (especially alloy boats) will benefit from having the furnace / furnace fuel pump mounted with rubber type isolation feet. That stops the resonance of the fan and the fuel pump significantly. Not an issue when fishing and running but a 'nice to have' when trying to sleep in the winter. Cheap and easy to do now before everything gets buttoned up.

Congratulations on a great build and thanks for the thread! Can't wait to see how she performs.

Thanks for your very thoughtful commentary, let me answer in blue for contrast not emotion. :D
Build is looking great! Great lines great layout and quality build.

Thank You
A couple observations that you're probably already considered but just in case I wonder the following;

1. For the aft steering station - presumable this is for slow speed handling such as trolling or picking up traps. At slow speeds, a smaller diameter wheel is advantageous. Suggest considering an 11" wheel as it will provide a quicker response / transition lock to lock, and it will also provide more clearance for fingers/hands between the wheel and the seat / railings etc. 11", rubber coated, with a permanent speed knob (not a bolt on knob);

Something like this; https://www.amazon.com/Pebbly-Beach-Stainless-Marine-Steering/dp/B08XM9WG46?dchild=1

When we were discussing this with Robert , I think the discussion went like this.

Robert "Do you want the same size wheel as ReelSlim?"

Bill310 "sounds good to me."

I know that there has been a shortage of steering wheel stuff in general and I have put the link for the smaller rubber coated wheel (that is unavailable at this time in my "Let's see how it goes" file.
2. For the AED, are you sure it's ok to store a high energy device in the same compartment as a fuel cell? Granted it's a diesel cell for the furnace however I would want to clarify if that's ok. Diesel fuel will burn with the right conditions...

Good point, I will get out the AED Manual and read up on the storage dos and don'ts. I hadn't thought of that. I have purchased an AED model specific custom moulded Pelican case for that particular AED so it is well protected. In case any of you are wondering , I wrote the manufacturer and the AED we have for the boat is certified safe to use on a deck that is wet or awash with sea water.

The price of AED's continues to fall and I would encourage all of you to ask your employer to have one at your place of work, and consider keeping one in your home and aboard your vessel.

3. Scotty downrigger ball holders are available in white and also black. I see you have the white ones on there. Black might disappear better against your wrap color. Something cheap and quick to consider at any time.

That is already on the list. I bought the white ones because that was all that was available 6 months ago. They do stand out in a glaring sort of way don't they.

4. The step on the side of the gunnel - from the photos it looks like it might have the potential to slice your leg open if you slide across it at high speed high impact during the chaos of landing fish / dealing with traps. Would it work if it was made to only be flush with the shelf and not protrude into the cockpit? Or maybe if you find the edge is sharp you could have the builder weld some 1/2" rod to the outside edge to eliminate and sharp edges.

I will have another look at it when I get over next. It does not stand as proud in real life as it does in my lousy photos and the edges have been rounded smooth. You have me thinking and I am going to ask Robert to paint some of the deck no slip on the steps

5. Thermostat / controller for the furnace - presumable the thermostat is built into the controller? Is there enough airflow around the controller to permit the thermostat to get the flow it needs to accurately read the temperature? Needs are flow / space around all edges of the thermostat to read properly.

Good question, and I have no idea how to answer your questions. :D

We have to rely on Robert's knowledge and experience in his prior builds that he has worked out any bugs in the installation on those vessels that have built before ours.

6. Furnace installation - most boats (especially alloy boats) will benefit from having the furnace / furnace fuel pump mounted with rubber type isolation feet. That stops the resonance of the fan and the fuel pump significantly. Not an issue when fishing and running but a 'nice to have' when trying to sleep in the winter. Cheap and easy to do now before everything gets buttoned up.

Good point. I will ask Robert if there are rubber isolators. We had the furnace running in the shop (which was dead quiet between the snow on the ground and being in the forest without any other noises (except for Billy the pup playing with his beef bone) and the furnace was no louder than the heater fan in my car running on low. Of course it doesn't hurt that I lost some of my nearing in a work related event a few decades ago

I can't imagine our sleeping with the furnace on in the winter and I can't imagine my wife thinking winter boat sleepovers are being on her list of "things I wish we should do together " as a couple. We have some winter camping synthetic sleeping bags but they would be more for emergencies than for romantic nights at anchor in a dreamy winter wonderland, "For god's sakes man we are senior citizens....o_O:eek:o_O"

I have lost two pals years ago to CO poisoning winter camping and earlier this year our home furnace set off the CO alarms in the house and we had to evacuate. (Recall on the model of water boiler we had- except for our version ) Class action case in the US .We got a new boiler and free install.

That is why I have a CO/Smoke detector in the cabin.

Congratulations on a great build and thanks for the thread! Can't wait to see how she performs.

I should be thanking the Forum for the great civility in everyone's comments, the helpful and thoughtful suggestions during our build and all that we have learned from the collective as a group.

Hopefully, threads like these will continue to support our local builders and suppliers , employ Canadians and allow the continued evolution of the West Coast Boat Building industry.

Of course a special shout out to Reel Slim who's brilliant thread allowed our bank account to emulate his Forum Name.

Back