2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

Thanks for your very thoughtful commentary, let me answer in blue for contrast not emotion. :D

Thank You

When we were discussing this with Robert , I think the discussion went like this.

Robert "Do you want the same size wheel as ReelSlim?"

Bill310 "sounds good to me."

I know that there has been a shortage of steering wheel stuff in general and I have put the link for the smaller rubber coated wheel (that is unavailable at this time in my "Let's see how it goes" file.

Good point, I will get out the AED Manual and read up on the storage dos and don'ts. I hadn't thought of that. I have purchased an AED model specific custom moulded Pelican case for that particular AED so it is well protected. In case any of you are wondering , I wrote the manufacturer and the AED we have for the boat is certified safe to use on a deck that is wet or awash with sea water.

The price of AED's continues to fall and I would encourage all of you to ask your employer to have one at your place of work, and consider keeping one in your home and aboard your vessel.

That is already on the list. I bought the white ones because that was all that was available 6 months ago. They do stand out in a glaring sort of way don't they.

I will have another look at it when I get over next. It does not stand as proud in real life as it does in my lousy photos and the edges have been rounded smooth. You have me thinking and I am going to ask Robert to paint some of the deck no slip on the steps

Good question, and I have no idea how to answer your questions. :D

We have to rely on Robert's knowledge and experience in his prior builds that he has worked out any bugs in the installation on those vessels that have built before ours.

Good point. I will ask Robert if there are rubber isolators. We had the furnace running in the shop (which was dead quiet between the snow on the ground and being in the forest without any other noises (except for Billy the pup playing with his beef bone) and the furnace was no louder than the heater fan in my car running on low. Of course it doesn't hurt that I lost some of my nearing in a work related event a few decades ago

I can't imagine our sleeping with the furnace on in the winter and I can't imagine my wife thinking winter boat sleepovers are being on her list of "things I wish we should do together " as a couple. We have some winter camping synthetic sleeping bags but they would be more for emergencies than for romantic nights at anchor in a dreamy winter wonderland, "For god's sakes man we are senior citizens....o_O:eek:o_O"

I have lost two pals years ago to CO poisoning winter camping and earlier this year our home furnace set off the CO alarms in the house and we had to evacuate. (Recall on the model of water boiler we had- except for our version ) Class action case in the US .We got a new boiler and free install.

That is why I have a CO/Smoke detector in the cabin.

I should be thanking the Forum for the great civility in everyone's comments, the helpful and thoughtful suggestions during our build and all that we have learned from the collective as a group.

Hopefully, threads like these will continue to support our local builders and suppliers , employ Canadians and allow the continued evolution of the West Coast Boat Building industry.

Of course a special shout out to Reel Slim who's brilliant thread allowed our bank account to emulate his Forum Name.

Thanks Bill.....Glad to see you supporting our local economy! lol

As far as the write up from Thunderbird from a few years ago it is an accurate account. Your boat is longer and wider than that one as well as heavier. You will be extremely happy with the ride of your boat. Of course I'm biased but for it's size it's a tank but doesn't ride like one. It definitely puts to rest for me on the rough riding aluminum debate. Not at all the typical hull or build of a lot out there. Enjoy!!!

on a related note, when I was racing flatbottom boats, we would select the aluminum for our cavitation plates with the grain going in the same direction as the boat. Had to go through quite a few to find what we were looking for.

View attachment 73840
IMG_20200428_131840.jpgI remember those days

JaxonCraft Logo on Stern

Note: Cannonball holder behind downrigger mount

View attachment 74009

Much to everyone's aesthetic relief (mine included ) I am picking up a pair of black cannonball holders on my way up island Saturday. My wife referred to the white ones currently visible as the fisherman's version of "Tightly Whities."

The white ones will move (be banished) to the gunnel trays inside the cockpit.

Starting off a typical weekend I was up at 4:00 am to catch the 6:15 boat to Nanaimo and off to see Robert.

Reader Alert, I am still having too much fun to take serious photos when Robert and I are chatting away

First stop was at Pacific Net & Twine in PARKSVILLE and pick up 4 black Cannonball holders, a new summer hat, and another NEBO SLYOE KING rechargeable flashlight. I have bought and given away a bunch of these this past Christmas and now the gift recipients want to buy them for their family and friends. They are terrific lights, great in the car.

PN&T opens at 9:00 and I was at the store at 8:25. They were already open for business and had my order behind the counter. The Parksville store is really well merchandized and it must be 3 or 4 times the size of the Richmond store and looks to have good warehouse space in the stand alone building.

I arrived at Roberts around 10 and we had time to go over the things that had been done on the boat in the past two weeks.

We talked about the windows, they are still stuck in the (Van-Kam?) yard and we just have to wait our turn for them to get their place on a truck.

We also went over the electrical stuff including the shore pore hook up.

The shore power panel has now been labeled. Pretend you see the meter above the Breakers

1642995873944.png

This is a better photo of the panel and includes the fabulous Vessel Registration Plaque.

This meets all the requirements

1642997127333.jpeg

Your Certificate of Registry is not valid until your vessel is marked.

Note: you must permanently attach markings to the vessel. Make sure that changes or attempts to remove or replace them would cause scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area. The plaque is attached to the Hull with 4 stainless screws and the plaque is itself attached to the hull with 3M Marine 5200 adhesive.

Net registered tonnage and official numberBlock-type Arabic numerals that are at least 4 cm highOn a clearly visible interior structural part of the hull, mark:
  • “N.R.T.” before the net registered tonnage
  • “O.N.” before the official number
If you used the Assigned Formal Tonnage method, only the O.N. needs to be marked since the net tonnage will not appear on your Certificate of Registry.

Net registered tonnage and official numberBlock-type Arabic numerals that are at least 4 cm highOn a clearly visible interior structural part of the hull, mark:
  • “N.R.T.” before the net registered tonnage
  • “O.N.” before the official number
If you used the Assigned Formal Tonnage method, only the O.N. needs to be marked since the net tonnage will not appear on your Certificate of Registry.

On the stern we have the Vessel Name and Port.

I brought along the batteries for the Diesel Heater remote and Robert headed off to his house to you tube the contoller into paing with the heater.

The remote was soon working perfectly and the cabin was warming up.

Gavin from SeaComm arrived to show me around the NavNet TZ Touch2 12" display. Sitting inside the aluminum build shed was not the same as sitting at the dock and the Radar has been wired up but needs to be tested out of doors.

The Screen's quality was very good and Furuno has put a little touch button up in the upper right corner called centre. If you get yourself all befuddled and can't find your position you just push centre and the screen reorientates itself and your location is back in the middle of the screen. Very cool and very necessary

1642997612078.jpeg

Dash Mounted Joystick for the Touch screen

1642998004317.png

The bow hatch (24 x24) has been installed and we had the great unveiling.

Veiled

1642999393853.png

Unveiled

1642999952776.png

I remember when we were discussing hatch sizes and I went to Staples and got some packing cardboard and cut different size hatch openings in them until I was able to find a hatch that gave me the room to make a quick exit.

Footman's loops (4 per rear seat) They will take 1" straps and be used to tie down soft bags, and other stuff we don't want flying about the cabin. Note the CO /Smoke Detector

1643000584788.png

I get it, Bill.

When I was still in the glass business, I did work a lot on the floating homes out in Ladner for International Marine Floatation Systems. A level was not always useable due to movement, lack of level surface or plumb, so it was usually a square and grid layout to get things right.

Coat Hooks

As we all know the outer gear we wear and carry on the boat can be bulky, heavy , and on rare occasions dampish.:D

My wife and Robert have been working on how these coat hooks should be installed. They are in the rear exterior cabin corners which was the only logical spot.

The final product had to blend into the cabin as much as possible and not be in a place where it would scalp me. Robert had some Aluminum plate wrapped , bolted it to the aluminum wall supports and then mounted aluminum coat hooks to the plate.

As you can imagine when I am posting 3 pictures of coat hooks the windows have not yet arrived.

1643055565787.jpeg

1643055585992.jpeg

1643055605818.jpeg

Last edited:
How long does a build take?

Our build started Thursday, May 27, 2021

Counting today we are at 243 days or 7 months, 29 days. Now if the windows had arrived on time I expect we would be finished by now..

Once Robert is finished the boat will be off for the installation of the outboards and sea trials.

As a comparison I pulled the estimated build time for ReelSlim's build (when he picked up the boat sans engines)

Friday, August 24, 2018 - Monday, March 25, 2019. or 214 days (7 months 2 days)

Our boat has a few more things than Reel's and the electronics are already installed , but his was the first longer wider model i .e. a 25 foot hardtop with a beamer beam.

Last edited:
That is a long time.I wonder if the builder thought it would take that long when he priced out the build and how much he will clear per hour invested as well as all the shop expenses? Most people these days would want $100K for 300 days of their lives work and all the nights thinking about it. Add all the parts involved (also very expensive these days) and it would be one very pricey boat.I'm sure you'll be happy with the final product and Robert should be very proud of his work. This build and his others reputation should keep him very busy for however long he wants to keep doing it.

That is a long time. I wonder if the builder thought it would take that long when he priced out the build and how much he will clear per hour invested as well as all the shop expenses? Most people these days would want $100K for 300 days of their lives work and all the nights thinking about it. Add all the parts involved (also very expensive these days) and it would be one very pricey boat. I'm sure you'll be happy with the final product and Robert should be very proud of his work. This build and his others reputation should keep him very busy for however long he wants to keep doing it.

I think we are now a bit (a few weeks ) behind the schedule because of the window delay.

There was a snow closure, winter holidays , and a week of shop vacation closure the last week of August.

During the time waiting for windows Robert has done a lot of the set up work for the Marina folks prior to the installation of the motors (as you can see). At the same time Robert and his staff were doing all of the basic set up and installation for the electronics.

Robert has told me that he will set everything up and have it ready for hook up, he just won't assume the liability of final hook up. I applaud him for that decision by the way.

Yes, he builds for one client at a time. Before our boat Robert built a pair of centre consoles at the same time.

He has a build slated immediately after ours, and a further build confirmed after that.

Interestingly, both those boats are going to be built to lockup and then the buyers are going to finish the boats themselves.

We got our spot due to a cancellation. Pure luck.

Interesting, I inquired about Wolf boats for sale in-between Courtenay and Campbell River and they would likely be the same production time line from the list of equipment. Hand made boats are a labour of love.
my friend has one and they are a tank. the fit and finish is meh but it rides so well

Interesting, I inquired about Wolf boats for sale in-between Courtenay and Campbell River and they would likely be the same production time line from the list of equipment. Hand made boats are a labour of love.
Let me be punny

You are howling at the moon

That ship has sale-d

1643151335416.png

RETIRING!

Live Online "Auction!" January 20, 2022

Marine Manufacturing Equipment CLOSING SALE
- on site preview January 19, 2022 -

• located in Courtenay - Vancouver Island, BC Canada

• For SALE
    Aluminum Parts, Marine Supplies & Tools

• aluminum welding equipment
        • Red-D-Arc welding machines
        • assorted boat parts,
        • boat seats, props, prawn crab traps
        • boat windows & hatches
        • hand & power tools, bench grinder, drills, skill saws
        • ladders, jacks, etc.,
        • office furniture
        • scrap aluminum & partial sheets, assorted tubing
        • and more!

• For Sale - (1) Domed Temporary Structure

Aluminum Pipe Frame, with (2) Durable vinyle tarp - colour white inside green outside, open both ends, 16ft wide x 30ft long x 16ft height

For Sale - Mobile home

Uncertified Mobile Home -12ft wide x 60ft long x 12ft height

For more information email: wolf@wolfboats

Include in subject header "AUCTION"

NOTE: no boats remain in inventory

Back