2021 Gulf Island Reports

Fished Thrasher Yesterday, lots of undersized Chinook. Partner landed one 70 cm Chinook. Caught and released one nice 4-5 coho, unclipped. Many boats arrived after 8 am And were spread out.

Various depths , 45 to 150. Good results on green splatterback Flashfly, Homeland Security spoon, and anchovies. Really didn’t need bait.

Bumped into a fellow coming in from a morning fish with 3 nice pinks on Friday.
He was fishing south of Pender Island 90-100 feet. Said everything worked even a coho killer! I dropped a couple of crab traps in Shingle
got 1 legal for my time and effort.

So the way I'm reading everything, 18-11 (tumbo/cabbage) is open today for Chinook. 1 daily between 62cm and 80 cm). Am I reading this correct?

Fished outside porliar pass today trying to get some fish in the slot limit size and got our limit but not without releasing some hogs that were way over 80cm
Not sure how to put this, but according to the regs released by DFO Friday, There is a line from Shaw Pt. which is about a mile North of Porlier Pass which runs to near Gibsons, and approx. 2 miles E. of Thrasher Rock, and the area East of that is closed until August 31st. There is a Rockfish Conservation Area north of Shaw Pt. so this appears to allow an area south of thrasher Rock,about half way down Valdes Island, which is open now. Curious to know if a fisheries boat was around in the area you were fishing. Could they make the regs any more difficult to decipher....

Fished outside porliar pass today trying to get some fish in the slot limit size and got our limit but not without releasing some hogs that were way over 80cm
Still closed in that zone. New regs have shah to gower and north open so porlier is still OB

Not sure how to put this, but according to the regs released by DFO Friday, There is a line from Shaw Pt. which is about a mile North of Porlier Pass which runs to near Gibsons, and approx. 2 miles E. of Thrasher Rock, and the area East of that is closed until August 31st. There is a Rockfish Conservation Area north of Shaw Pt. so this appears to allow an area south of thrasher Rock,about half way down Valdes Island, which is open now. Curious to know if a fisheries boat was around in the area you were fishing. Could they make the regs any more difficult to decipher....
They do post maps which are pretty easy to read. This closure was in the fisheries notice posted in early July before our Chinook opening dates.

Anyone been out lately? Anyone been fishing the inside of poiler pass?
I hear stories of fish near Tent Island. I haven't had the opportunity to try it for myself.

Got out this morning. Pretty quiet and smokey outside Gabriola pass, looked like a few boats just blasted straight down to entrance. I was fishing solo so i didn't want to make that run for 1 fish.

No luck at the first spot I tried near Grande but when I went to turn and make a pass back I hit a double header of smalls. Reset and headed on towards Thrasher and managed to scrape up a barely legal Chinook then grabbed the family to pull prawn gear.
C50618E4-C075-419E-A382-AE4A3AF3D951.jpeg
060FF8EB-D0BE-497E-BF52-FE8989AEBFE4.jpeg

Lots of teeny tiny chinook and a few teeny tiny coho near Georgina. One barely legal chinook, two were close, the rest WAY under.

Hey Gulf Island folks. At my in laws place on Mayne Island which is on Crane Point...south side of Village Bay. I always see boats fishing off the southwest corner of Galliano but looking thru the binocs it seems as though there aren't many downriggers out. Do people just jig or power mooch there? Basically that steep face just to the north of Active Pass.

Have gear with me but the boats have no downriggers.

Attachments

• 16294273792648557570232341321878.jpg
    16294273792648557570232341321878.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 51
My guess would be power mooching.

Helen’s point is a great spot for that on the ebb tide

Hi,
I’m on Mayne. I generally fish with downriggers there and most of the boats I’ve seen seem to, but I’m sure mooching would work. Active Pass is kind of famous for mooching in the past. There are quite a few pinks around right now which has been kind of fun.

Hey Gulf Island folks. At my in laws place on Mayne Island which is on Crane Point...south side of Village Bay. I always see boats fishing off the southwest corner of Galliano but looking thru the binocs it seems as though there aren't many downriggers out. Do people just jig or power mooch there? Basically that steep face just to the north of Active Pass.

Have gear with me but the boats have no downriggers.
In the summer there are a lot of summer familys out fishing for fun. I see a lot of them near Polier, just jigging, using bait, happy to catch whatever. But you can definitely mooch.

Jigged around Collinson for a bit with the kids. Lots of small pinks, fun for them but not what I was hoping for! Let them all go.

Just got back from tent,1spring for my partner…yeah.
Top of flood fished from 3ish till 5,cliffs to lighthouse roughly.55ft green flasher n bloody nose green and white spoon.
prawns got 4.nothing better than a last pass fish,gl

Back