2021 Gulf Island Reports

Bought a place on Pender was counting on fishing and crabbing for recreation. Moorage at Thieves Bay. Now can't fish for
springs, limited options. I was hoping to do lots of crabbing and now sounds like the same problem as Vancouver area. What's with people nowadays anyway? :mad:

I had my traps stolen there last weekend. I live on Pender. Disappointing
It might be worth another look. The first time mine were messed with I thought they were gone, luckily it was dead flat out I was able to spot them through binos a mile and a half from where I had left them. If it wasn't flat that day I wouldn't have found them.

It might be worth another look. The first time mine were messed with I thought they were gone, luckily it was dead flat out I was able to spot them through binos a mile and a half from where I had left them. If it wasn't flat that day I wouldn't have found them.
For sure, if not weighted down, traps have a way of moving with currents. Also need to mark the spots with GPS of some sort

For sure, if not weighted down, traps have a way of moving with currents. Also need to mark the spots with GPS of some sort
Mine were still weighted well at this point, all my weights were stolen the second time it was messed with. I have an HDS 12 on board, I know exactly were they are all the time. The first time they were moved that mile and a half they were perfectly taken care of, I gave the benefit of the doubt to the commercial guy that is working the area. Even my line weight that I clip on was re applied at the right spot. I figure I might have laid it on one of his sets and he had re set them out of his way. However the second time all the lead was taken out of both traps? I just don't understand the logic behind that.

Mine were still weighted well at this point, all my weights were stolen the second time it was messed with. I have an HDS 12 on board, I know exactly were they are all the time. The first time they were moved that mile and a half they were perfectly taken care of, I gave the benefit of the doubt to the commercial guy that is working the area. Even my line weight that I clip on was re applied at the right spot. I figure I might have laid it on one of his sets and he had re set them out of his way. However the second time all the lead was taken out of both traps? I just don't understand the logic behind that.
Crazy :confused:

It’s too bad this is happening around there. Good to know. The few times I’ve dropped carb/prawn in the navy channel I’ve had no issues this year… and decent results. ;) ‍It’s crazy how people can have a boat, etc, but can’t respect other people’s stuff :mad:. Anyways tight lines! Any coho around anywhere??

It’s too bad this is happening around there. Good to know. The few times I’ve dropped carb/prawn in the navy channel I’ve had no issues this year… and decent results. ;) ‍It’s crazy how people can have a boat, etc, but can’t respect other people’s stuff :mad:. Anyways tight lines! Any coho around anywhere??
Boat owners can be some of the most entitled people in the world. It's a power WE all hope is used for good and not evil.

Planning a trip to Chemainus / Ladysmith area in August maybe, wondering if there are any general spots to try for salmon and bottomfish, lingcod hali etc? I am aware of all the RCA's and the finfish closure area in 17-9 (been doing my homework). I don't have a big boat so will probably have to stick to the inside most days unless I get a really calm day where I can boat over to porlier pass or thrasher. Just wondering if it's even worth it trying any inside spots at that time. Not looking for any honey holes, unless someone wants to slide into my PM's with some decent spots, which will be kept a secret ;)

Thanks.

:eek: are we allowed to fish for anything around Pender/Gulf Islands????? Per the latest release from DFO?
If you can add any info/interpretation much appreciated.

:eek: are we allowed to fish for anything around Pender/Gulf Islands????? Per the latest release from DFO?
If you can add any info/interpretation much appreciated.
Ling cod (min 65 cm is open). Other rock fish (except yellow eye) are also open. But ensure that you stay out of the whale zone (boating or fishing) along the Pender bluffs off of N. Pender and the many RCA's around Pender. The My Catch by Anglers Atlas app is great as it will show you your position relative to the RCA's.

Technically, hatchery Coho and Pinks are open but it is rather early for either.

Ling cod (min 65 cm is open). Other rock fish (except yellow eye) are also open. But ensure that you stay out of the whale zone (boating or fishing) along the Pender bluffs off of N. Pender and the many RCA's around Pender. The My Catch by Anglers Atlas app is great as it will show you your position relative to the RCA's.

Technically, hatchery Coho and Pinks are open but it is rather early for either.
Thank you carpe for the advice and info

I don't think its that early.. I caught 5 over two days and lost probably just as many.

Good night bite off Grande tonight. Landed 1 right at 80cm, couple smalls released and lost another decent sized one. Multiple other boats with nets out tonight also.

Nothing on the coho or pink front.

Good night bite off Grande tonight. Landed 1 right at 80cm, couple smalls released and lost another decent sized one. Multiple other boats with nets out tonight also.

Nothing on the coho or pink front.
I'm new to the Gulf Islands area. Where is Grande please?

I'm new to the Gulf Islands area. Where is Grande please?
The bluffs just west of silva bay entrance. I think you're more specifically saying you're fishing in tighter to shore at that point as apposed to the ditch or the reef at Entrance.

Fished Grande area again Sunday morning. More action but a lot more smalls. Managed to bring home one on the low end of the slot.

We went out again for the evening but had to go in a bit earlier of course. Seemed like the bite was just picking up around 630pm when we had to pull gear.

Back