2021 Gulf Island Reports

Just got back from tent,1spring for my partner…yeah.
Top of flood fished from 3ish till 5,cliffs to lighthouse roughly.55ft green flasher n bloody nose green and white spoon.
prawns got 4.nothing better than a last pass fish,gl
Tent has been non-retention since August 1st......................

Fished the grande this evening, started at 6pm, within the first half hour I had a double header, one fish that took off and was screaming the reel for about a minute straight, and then turned right at me and I couldn’t keep him on, the other one popped the clip and took multiple good runs, got that one in the boat. Thick 72 cm fish, that I happily boxed. One fish was at 200 on the rigger and the other at 170, trolling at 2 kts going with the current in about 260 ft of water. Also picked up a small wild coho that I happily released at 170 on the rigger in about 260 ft of water going with the current trolling at about 3kts.
1629778415120.jpeg

Last edited:
Fished the grande this evening, started at 6pm, within the first half hour I had a double header, one fish that took off and was screaming the reel for about a minute straight, and then turned right at me and I couldn’t keep him on, the other one popped the clip and took multiple good runs, got that one in the boat. Thick 72 cm fish, that I happily boxed. One fish was at 200 on the rigger and the other at 170, trolling at 2 kts going with the current in about 260 ft of water. Also picked up a small wild coho that I happily released at 170 on the rigger in about 260 ft of water going with the current trolling at about 3kts.
View attachment 69633
Nice fish! Where’s Grande again?

Has been closed every for as long as I can remember aug 1- oct 15
I believe all around Tent Island is 17-6 which is not closed to fishing but is non-retention for chinook.
Fished the west entrance to Porlier Pass a few days ago but only caught shakers. Hooked a cannon ball on the bottom and while disentangling it, caught a really nice keeper Ling (on salmon gear).

Anyone tried one of these yet?

Anyone tried one of these yet?
I would say only rich people with Commander boats could afford a rod like that!

Fished just outside Porlier yesterday. hooked 2 nice silver springs that were both 1/2" too small but fought like tigers. Both hatchery and both released successfully.
Got rough after lunch (wind battling with tide) so went home early

How does heavy rain affect salmon fishing in gulf islands? I know around the rivers, fish migrate up, but the gulf island fish are a long way from their spawning rivers I believe...

Back