2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of an early morning run across to the fingers and neck pt. got word from a guide buddy that it has been fire on water over there....

I am not too versed on big tides, I just go out and give it my best. Can anyone comment on big tides and how they may affect my chances? and more importantly, which is the best way to fish them? Should I howl at the full moon before leaving the dock??

Just off entrance Island in Nanaimo. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (still learning the area) but it is my understanding it is the 5 islands to the NE of departure bay. Neck Pt. would be the next stop heading north....we had an absolutely epic day with HighRoller Charters exactly one year to the week and it sounds like the action has returned. Heard reports of steady action until noonish 15-25lbs, but there were countless shakers....at times it was difficult to elude the small ones to find the Bigguns. Again just info passed along, I cannot comment personally but hopefully tommorow I can.

Nothing like a new boat ( or repowered anyway) to make you willing to burn fuel - LOL
Good luck on the day!
( apparently FB is making Sculpin revise his 'hardcore' status? )

My buddy was out with Todd from HighRoller yesterday off Nanaimo and limited out in the morning. All the action on smaller spoons 3-3.5" Some coho released as well.

The bigger the tide the more reason to troll with the tide then pull up/run back on your tack & redeploy.

That's what I figured. Go with the flow!

To correct myself, was reviewing my charts.... The 'fingers' or Five Fingers is referring to Five Fingers Island, just east of Hudson's Rocks....

That's what I figured. Go with the flow!

To correct myself, was reviewing my charts.... The 'fingers' or Five Fingers is referring to Five Fingers Island, just east of Hudson's Rocks....

correct, the group of islands between North Nanaimo and Entrance Island - basically right out a few miles from departure Bay and Snake Island.

Being devils advocate though, shouldnt all these "off Nanaimo" reports be under the ECVI or Nanaimo thread as opposed to Van/Sunshine coast reports that the mainlanders post? haha

fished south bowen yesterday morning, no bites there so we went to halibut bank around noon and got two decent sized ones, both on green spoons. Beautiful day out and only two other boats fishing.

Cohoptmonday20.jpg

Powell River on Monday, North Texada. Its been hot for the last couple of weeks. In 215' of water 145' down, green and glow hoochie.

fished south bowen yesterday morning, no bites there so we went to halibut bank around noon and got two decent sized ones, both on green spoons. Beautiful day out and only two other boats fishing.

Used to enjoy going out to fish Halibut Bank before it turned into a Rock fish Conservation Area.

Fished the hump today from 11-4. Managed to boat 2. A small one 7lbs and a really nice fighting 17. Also lost 2 to a seal. 1 of which we chased down for a while. At least got gear back on that 1. All fish were at 132. Got big 1 on med. Herring. The others on big coast special
Sent from my LG-E900h using Board Express

Fished the hump today from 11-4. Managed to boat 2. A small one 7lbs and a really nice fighting 17. Also lost 2 to a seal. 1 of which we chased down for a while. At least got gear back on that 1. All fish were at 132. Got big 1 on med. Herring. The others on big coast special

Big coast special??

Big coast special. Just a name we coined for the blue/ nickel spoon and blue mirror flasher that they always use in the tv show. Doesn't matter where in BC they are they throw that down. I was determined to use in van until I caught something. Now back to chovies

Hoping for more but at least something. Over to neck pt and beyond....boated one expensive 12 lb fish lol. Currents were ripping, that was fun aka lesson in frustration lol. Most frustrating, I was a stones throw from all the action and decided to call it a day as it really started heating up of entrance, cuz that's how I do it. Lol.
Heard of quite a few really nice fish...

Crabbing was good off the north arm...a few jumbos salvaged my headache, but not after the current swallowed one of my smaller buoys, which later popped up but I had a chance to brush up on my sailor speak in between haha. Oy!!

IMAG0573_zps02f7a4d7.jpg

461_Halibut Bank.jpg462_McCall Bank.jpg

Permitted Fishing Within Rockfish Conservation Areas

Recreational fishing

invertebrates by hand picking or dive
crab by trap
shrimp/prawn by trap
smelt by gillnet

Commercial fishing

Photo of quillback rockfishinvertebrates by hand picking or dive
crab by trap
prawn by trap
scallops by trawl
salmon by seine or gillnet
herring by gillnet, seine and spawn-on-kelp
sardine by gillnet, seine, and trap
smelt by gillnet
euphausiid (krill) by mid-water trawl
opal squid by seine
groundfish by mid-water trawl

Fishing activity not listed above is restricted.

John you may find that both banks are closed that means no fishing in or on the banks

so be careful closest you can get is the start of the shelf which puts you in around 350'

stupid really as the banks are scraped clean by commi drags and have not made a come even after being closed for several years
why we cant troll but only to a certain depth is beyond me
and as long as we have a descending method to put back accidental rock fish catch is a more realistic approach ......

and then at least we could report back ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back