2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
was out yesterday Wednesday eve at the hump only one other boat out there
no bites other than jelly fish / slime on the lines
ran lines between 60-126 on spoons and hootchie with flashers
only exciting thing was a tug boat captain pulling a barge right down the centre of the hump (we where on the pimple)
cussing and yelling that we did not did not get out of his way faster enough and gave him enough room
err ... road rage on the high sea.....lol
was probably 200' between us by the time our turn was done and he went beside us
good job it was not the weekend......that would have been intresting ........

and its not the first time i have seen this sort of thing commi guys plowing though knowing fishing areas where sport fishing guys troll.???????

only exciting thing was a tug boat captain pulling a barge right down the centre of the hump (we where on the pimple)
cussing and yelling that we did not did not get out of his way faster enough and gave him enough room
was probably 200' between us by the time our turn was done and he went beside us

and its not the first time i have seen this sort of thing commi guys plowing though knowing fishing areas where sport fishing guys troll.???????

This may come as a shock to you but a 20 ft fish boat is a lot easier to maneuver than a tug with a 5000 ton barge a thousand feet behind it behind it. You would be wise to give room because that barge generally dosent want to turn (something to do with forward momentum) and if you have any sort of power failure you wont be in a good spot. As far as "plowing through" fishing areas, they are more concerned with other commercial traffic, such as deep sea's and other tug and tows rather than the snappy little speed boat doing sporatic cirlces in front of them.

This may come as a shock to you but a 20 ft fish boat is a lot easier to maneuver than a tug with a 5000 ton barge a thousand feet behind it behind it. You would be wise to give room because that barge generally dosent want to turn (something to do with forward momentum) and if you have any sort of power failure you wont be in a good spot. As far as "plowing through" fishing areas, they are more concerned with other commercial traffic, such as deep sea's and other tug and tows rather than the snappy little speed boat doing sporatic cirlces in front of them.

Agree here....tugs are big, slow and do not just stop on a dime and turn. I'd just give them room and be respectful of the vessel and its load. That's like expecting the Horseshoe to Departure ferry to maneuver around a sport vessel....they might, but you'd be a dink for getting in their way.

Not to mention they are Huge, and not hard to miss when they are coming your direction, change your tack to accommodate the big ships.

Check out a few episodes of "Great Lakes Warriors"........towing and manoeuvering barges is a lot harder than it looks...

i agree with you guys
but we where never in front (or crossed )of his bow line of travel we turned to parallel with him at what we thought
was a safe distance he did not alter course
and went past us...

The law says you now must have a boat operators permit. You obviously dont have one ,
get one and when you are reading the little book , read rules of the road.
then the most important thing that they dont teach you but you should have and you dont have is "common sense"

The law says you now must have a boat operators permit. You obviously dont have one ,
get one and when you are reading the little book , read rules of the road.
then the most important thing that they dont teach you but you should have and you dont have is "common sense"

Dear Mr Hook,

We appreciate your concern for the safety of our boating public.

However, when giving someone feedback about something they did that may be perceived by some as a mistake, you have a better chance of changing their behavior, or at least considering it, if you are civil in your approach. If you insult them, especially if you don't know them personally or know what actually happened, then you draw negative attention to your own actions and in the process, your great advice about leaving a wide berth, may not hit home.

x2 what B.G.M. stated. Wildthing has a ton of experience on the water and was just passing on this unfortunate experience. Some people need to lighten up!

finally light wind and nice weather on the hump today, unfortunatly no fish for me 7am-2pm, lost something small dead center of the hump...thinking p-cod didnt have the shaker fight to it

Moving for a ferry or a tug/barge I get, what I can't stand is the commercial crab opening and how they love to buzz you and set off the wake while trolling along. And you look to your right and look to your left...nothing but space, but they buzz so damn close, this has happened to me many times while fishing around ferry terminal and coal port area. Also from south arm all the way to the red can on occasion. A negative reply starting fights on the interweb... hahaha. Big boat no stop we small boat get run over...we on fun time...they making living...first time I trolled around the ferry terminal and coal ports the wife got all scared about the big ferry boat coming out...I just told her not to worry because the captain will move for us...that is what the big boat is saying when it blows its horn..."honk!" aka...don't worry I am going to change coarse and go around you....hahahahhahahaha. Or how about the sail boat with its sail up, those buggers always cut me off! So anyways back to the reports...

oh and just for the record
my buddie was steering the boat at the time, i was setting my gear
his tack is different to mine at the hump (N-S) across
i perfer to follow the wind direction / tide
so i'll pass blame onto him.....lol

and yes i do have an operators card for what its worth
and i do respect other people on the water.....
and honestly was not ranting about it just stated an occurrence......
chill folks

Or how about the sail boat with its sail up, those buggers always cut me off! So anyways back to the reports...
Sail up has the right of way,
its the ones with the sail down and running on kicker that **** me off that think they still have the right of way! that all I got to say about them,
I always get out of the big guys way,
do have to laugh sometimes tho when the ferries are giving the eminent danger 5 blasts on the horn and guys are still trolling in their path, at least make a turn and show your intent you know you can get out of his way before he gets there but he doesnt

in case some may need a refresher heres a breakdown of horn signals

C&P
One short blast (1 second): Shows an intention to pass on the starboard side of another vessel (right). The same signal is used whether you are passing another vessel bow to bow or you are passing a vessel from their stern. The vessel about to be overtaken shall, if in agreement, sound a similar sound signal. If in doubt the vessel should sound the danger signal. (See number 4 below).

Two short blasts: Shows an intention to pass on the port side of another vessel (left). The same signal is used whether you are passing another vessel bow to bow or you are passing a vessel from their stern. The vessel about to be overtaken shall, if in agreement, sound a similar sound signal. If in doubt the vessel should sound the danger signal. (See number 4 below).

Three short blasts: Indicates the vessel's engines are going astern (in reverse). This is mainly used on larger vessels with restricted visibility or possible boat traffic passing by the stern. Most large vessels will have a deck hand or a person standing on the stern as a lookout with communications to the operator. Operators of small craft that are following a much larger vessel in a narrow channel or fairway should leave additional distance between them and the stern of a large vessel in case the large vessel starts to go astern.

Five or more short and rapid blasts: A danger signal used when the other vessel's intentions are not understood or where the other vessel's indicated course is dangerous. When vessels in sight of each other are approaching, and for whatever reason, either vessel fails to understand the intentions or actions of the other, or is in doubt whether sufficient action is being taken to avoid collision, the vessel in doubt may give at least five short and rapid blasts on the whistle.

Prolonged blast (4 to 6 seconds): One prolonged blast is a warning signal (for example, used when exiting a slip or coming around a blind corner). This signal should be answered with a prolonged blast by any approaching vessel that may be within hearing around the bend or behind an intervening obstruction. One prolonged plus two short blasts at intervals of not more than two minutes is the signal used by sailboats under sail alone. If you hear this signal slow and be sure of which vessel is moving. This is especially true if you are in a small boat entering or leaving a marina or dock system where other vessels are restricting your visibility. Always approach waterway intersections and crowded moorage areas with caution. Remember, always be ready to maneuver and have your attention on the operation of your vessel instead of other distractions in your vessel or on shore.

As you can see the use of the signaling device on a vessel has meaning. It should never be used as a toy or to signal friends on shore or sound just for fun. It is a piece of boating safety equipment and should be checked before the vessel is underway to be sure it is in good operating condition.

If necessary to attract the attention of another vessel, any vessel may make light or sound signals that cannot be mistaken for any authorized signal or may direct a searchlight beam in the direction of danger, in such a way as not to embarrass any vessel. Any light used to attract the attention of another vessel cannot not be one that could be mistaken for any aid to navigation. The use of high intensity intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, should be avoided.

When vessels are not in sight of one another when navigating in or near an area of restricted visibility, every vessel must proceed at a safe speed adapted to the prevailing circumstances and conditions of restricted visibility. A power-driven vessel such as a PWC should have its engines ready for immediate maneuver. A vessel which detects by radar alone the presence of another vessel shall determine if a close-quarters situation is developing or risk of collision exists. If so, the operator must take avoiding action in ample time, provided that when such action consists of an alteration of course, the following should be avoided:

An alteration of course to port for a vessel forward of the beam, other than for a vessel being overtaken.

An alteration of course toward a vessel abeam or abaft the beam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishing Gabriola/Thrasher this weekend question.

Do you guys think the full moon and huge tides will have a negative effect on catching. Hoping to get out with the expected calm seas and decent weather. Any fishing updates from Gabriola would be nice too.
Thanks

Tight Lines

Big tides and calm seas don't always go hand in hand but that all depends on where you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point GDW.
Marine forecast is for light SE winds 5 to 15 knots, and variable on Sunday 5 to 15 knots. Haven't seen that in awhile on a weekend. So hope no wind waves on Georgia Straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back