2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did 3 hours at the Hump, again, with no bites. Did get a bunch of jellyfish slime.

However, good catch of crab and did my first Prawn set. Got my puller, traps, bait, and a advice from Nikka, then went out and caught a 73. Don't know if that is a little or a lot, but I was happy with it.

was a great day over at Thrasher, got a late start, off the dock at 11:30 dropped traps and headed over lines in by 12:30
5-10 mins in we boxed a 15, then a couple undersize a little later, then a 10, then another 15, lost one at the boat, fish were deep
160' all came on plastics, never even put an anchovy out today
tried for some cod no luck there, packed up and left by 6:00,
and I'm pretty sure Derby should be along soon with a pretty nice report too with a fantastic ending.

Thanks Tim for pulling me into you little inside jet stream..... good call... :) .... Left the dock at Schooner cove at the 10:30 Monday morning.....started at Winchelsea island for 2 tacks..had a pair of screamers ll off right out the gate... ( Chinese hooks I guess) :) inside joke..... fished Nanaimo for a couple hrs didn't see thing not a touch....Went down to Thraser Rock and fish the outside deep water.. Released a couple undersize... My wife got a 15lber ...then my youngest daughter got her first spring pretty well playing it bye herself a 8lber.. last tack heading home last rod ....my wife boats a 27lber.... Pretty happy for the shake down cruise and considering I haven't really fished the GS for 13 years.... Seem those fish still like the old time 3.5 flo/glow green coyote spoon...everything was deep 160ish feet

Thanks Tim for pulling me into you little inside jet stream..... good call... :) .... Left the dock at Schooner cove at the 10:30 Monday morning.....started at Winchelsea island for 2 tacks..had a pair of screamers ll off right out the gate... ( Chinese hooks I guess) :) inside joke..... fished Nanaimo for a couple hrs didn't see thing not a touch....Went down to Thraser Rock and fish the outside deep water.. Released a couple undersize... My wife got a 15lber ...then my youngest daughter got her first spring pretty well playing it bye herself a 8lber.. last tack heading home last rod ....my wife boats a 27lber.... Pretty happy for the shake down cruise and considering I haven't really fished the GS for 13 years.... Seem those fish still like the old time 3.5 flo/glow green coyote spoon...everything was deep 160ish feet

Nice work, Derby!

Haha we were having fun catching some air off the waves heading into snug cove and out she went

I haven't really fished the GS for 13 years....
So I'm guessing we will see a little more of ya now;)
oh and get that radio fixed will you!

So I'm guessing we will see a little more of ya now;)
oh and get that radio fixed will you!

Need to get the trim fixed one the motor first.... Yup..problem is the HD-10 interfers with the radio.. that a good questions I'll post.......I'll be traveling down there a little more now that the boat is in schooner cove... that big spring had a 13in hake in its stomach... :)

Need to get the trim fixed one the motor first.... Yup..problem is the HD-10 interfers with the radio.. that a good questions I'll post.......I'll be traveling down there a little more now that the boat is in schooner cove... that big spring had a 13in hake in its stomach... :)
your so use to fishing the outside its funny you didnt mistake that spring for a Halibut :rolleyes:, funny thing is I sent Jay a text that you had one on and I think he left after that cause we were kicking his but so bad lol

your so use to fishing the outside its funny you didnt mistake that spring for a Halibut :rolleyes:, funny thing is I sent Jay a text that you had one on and I think he left after that cause we were kicking his but so bad lol

Haa haa...it should have been one, it fought like it... probly too full from the big hake in its stomach... :)

Haa haa...it should have been one, it fought like it... probly too full from the big hake in its stomach... :)

That's very interesting..... On the inside, a majority of the big hogs (30-40lbs) I have seen in the last 2 seasons have had small 8-12 inch pacific cod in them. None of the fish under 25-30lbs that I have landed had cod in them. I have tried to mimic this with plugs a few times but as expected no action, as there are very few fish of that size around to capitalize.

Ps nice fish!

Last edited by a moderator:
It may have been a Pacific cod.......but look like the hake that I had caught during the day....I just didn't think they would eat something that big....Its sitting in freezer waiting to go into a chum bag this weekend... :)

It may have been a Pacific cod.......but look like the hake that I had caught during the day....I just didn't think they would eat something that big....Its sitting in freezer waiting to go into a chum bag this weekend... :)

Get out the RVP plug's. Extra large models lol.

Great report and congrat's on your gal running well. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got out yesterday in Howe Sound for an early evening fish. Hit a 15 pound white at 36' feet on choive. Had one other hit that my Son played briefly, before it got off.

Attachments

• Spring May 21.jpg
    Spring May 21.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 504
Got out yesterday in Howe Sound for an early evening fish. Hit a 15 pound white at 36' feet on choive. Had one other hit that my Son played briefly, before it got off.

Thanks for that, encouraging to see a nice one caught up there, have not seen many reports there this early in the year.

Awesome Dave - gotta love fish'n with the little tikes !!!

OK Dave now I just have to post this !! ...... from Monday afternoon 11-3 , off S. Bowen.....Dad and daughter's afternoon out ! She's HOOKED now ( turned out to be 19 lbs ) released 2 football unders and lost 2 others, 1 being teenager category. Dragged a hake and some darn red jellies

Releasing the unders brought her just as much enjoyment.... very cool.

IMG_4647hump chinookmay20.jpgIMG_4648 hake.jpg

Awesome Dave - gotta love fish'n with the little tikes !!!

OK Dave now I just have to post this !! ...... from Monday afternoon 11-3 , off S. Bowen.....Dad and daughter's afternoon out ! She's HOOKED now ( turned out to be 19 lbs ) released 2 football unders and lost 2 others, 1 being teenager category. Dragged a hake and some darn red jellies

Releasing the unders brought her just as much enjoyment.... very cool.

View attachment 7254View attachment 7255

Awesome Greg! Nothing better than fishing with the kids. :) Look out fish, we're bringing on a whole new generation of deadly fisherman or woman!

Think how deadly Soloway's Son Nakai is going to be for fisherman! He has more days on the water than most of us on Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back