2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out on the hump Friday 5/17 for the 5pm flood. Conditions were snotty..Could not get a sounder reading. I was runnng a chovey behind a flasher down 90-130 ft. Kept getting tangled. I think the churn was just not gonna let me fish choveys. Finally the chop was so bad I stopped having fun so decided to call it a day.

do ya'all thing the sounder issues and tangles was due to the sloppy conditions?

Weather permitting...should be down at Grande or Thrasher tomorrow morning... :)
Hope to see you there, guess you never made it out today then?

Went over to thrasher on saturday. Saturday was flat calm and the fishing was excellent. Anchored up in silva bay for the night expecting another awesome day on sunday. It started blowing about 3am and was snotty all morning on sunday. Ended up with 3 springs mid to high teens and a bunch of released undersized. All in all a great trip.

HI guys new to the forum and been fishing in vancouver area for a few years now. had good luck and lots of bad luck ive come to realise that i really im doing something wrong out here. fishing in are local waters and reading the threads that im not going deep enough, or trolling to slow kindda getting bummed spendinf thousands of dollars to figure this area out. Westcoast island fishing totally different alot easier i must say. looking for some pointers or tag along with someone and make a new friend. Work season is almost over and off for summer....

HI guys new to the forum and been fishing in vancouver area for a few years now. had good luck and lots of bad luck ive come to realise that i really im doing something wrong out here. fishing in are local waters and reading the threads that im not going deep enough, or trolling to slow kindda getting bummed spendinf thousands of dollars to figure this area out. Westcoast island fishing totally different alot easier i must say. looking for some pointers or tag along with someone and make a new friend. Work season is almost over and off for summer....

I would like to thank you as a new fisherman to the forum, and ask any questions that you want. Also have fun out there, there are lots of fish !!!!

Headed out from River Rock marina with Berlioz & son early this AM-nabbed this White Spring off SE Bowen on a Green/White spoon @ 111 ft around 08:30 hrs-missed two others on Anchovy headed for the barn around 13:00.

Beauty day good fishing good company and the boat-a 27' Shamrock Mackinaw-ran like a dream.

Spring Bowen May 20 2013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Weather Question: Can anyone unlock the mystery of choppy condition at the Hump?
Friday wind was SW, 7-9kts, Low Slack..and it was snotty! Finally came in from fishing. Could not even get a read on the sounder.
1) What causes the chop?
2) How can I predict when it will be snotty?
3) Any shortcuts to figuring the water conditions?

A major factor in your equation that your missing is what was the tide doing at the time?

A strong current plus opposing wind can get nasty.

Oh haha so he did. Sorry can't help ya!

Stay home and send the fish my way that's my advice.

By all accounts last Friday was Hell Day due to heavy currents-the guy I fished with today gave up trying to fish his big cruiser solo in all the slop.

Went out for first trip today. Got to hump only fished for 20 mins and the main motor dies. After tinkering around got it running but didn't want to risk getting stuck so went back over to van side. Trolled around red can and in for a couple hours. Lost a canon ball, old cable. Going to have to replace it. No fish but took home limit of good size crab. Should have given it more time at the hump I guess. Probably made the right call I suppose. Think there was a temporary fuel issue, ran great for the remainder of the trip.

Fished thrasher in the am,
Lots of action but nothing over 10 pounds. Cop car at 140' beat out chovy 6-2.... bonked an 8lb hatchery.

Fished South end of Bowen in the afternoon. Lost a 20lber at the boat (solo fishing with long leaders).
5 mins later bonked a mid. teener. Both on chovy 100'

Headed to Thrasher today but got a later than preferred start and got there at 10:30am. Fished in 700-1100 feet of water north of Thrasher and only nabbed an undersized. Although this was the only fish caught today, the trip was a huge success as I took my 7 year old daughter on her name sake boat for her first fishing trip ever. She loved every minute of it meaning many more trips in store for us in the future.

Crabbing was good and Prawning could have been better, but my daughter would say otherwise.

Out first thing this morning. trolled out at the hump for a couple hours with no luck. Moved in closer to Bowen and picked up an 8 pounder right away. It was caught at 90 feet on a coyote cop car with an orange glow hot spot flasher. Lots of boats out there!

Popped over to the other side for a hopeful AM bite. Lines down at 8:30 but judging by the VHF we had missed it by about an hour. Heard of good action most of the day but there was no shortage of boats to drum up a bite. Planned to fish through the tide change at about 3pm, and happy we did. Hooked into a nice one around 2:30, and Trendsetter stepped up and took one for the fleet, feeding a hungry seal a 15 lb lunch....(I damn near fired the main and went after him!!)
Discouraged, but not defeated, I retied a hoochie to the same leader the seal had chomped off...figured if it was lucky enough for him, it would be lucky for me again...not long after, the rod was shakin' and the line was bakin'! Before the seal came back for seconds, we managed to boat this beauty. Took all weekend (and yes Friday wasn't the best lol) but I finally got one to make it all worth it.

hits at 143 on a spatterback hoochie, and a white cuddlefish with green spots, 1200' by the bait ball.

No scale, but she measured 36.5" long, I estimated it to be about 18.9 lbs :cool:

was a great day over at Thrasher, got a late start, off the dock at 11:30 dropped traps and headed over lines in by 12:30
5-10 mins in we boxed a 15, then a couple undersize a little later, then a 10, then another 15, lost one at the boat, fish were deep
160' all came on plastics, never even put an anchovy out today
tried for some cod no luck there, packed up and left by 6:00,
and I'm pretty sure Derby should be along soon with a pretty nice report too with a fantastic ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back