2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tincan, Ya thanks for always bugging me about being a lurker. Not anymore, I am trying to do my share to give back. Here is a tip for you. Get out of the office and get out there. The fish are biting and most have been screamers. Cheers Buddy.

Here is a tip for you. Get out of the office and get out there.

4 posts and you've given probably the best advice to any fisherman reading. Get out there!! Its the only way to catch em! Great reports Moocher. We are heading over tomorrow to give er our best!

What is the best source for buoy weather and weather forecasts other than envir. Canada? Anyone know of a comprehensive app? Wave, currents, forecast, etc

What is the best source for buoy weather and weather forecasts other than envir. Canada? Anyone know of a comprehensive app? Wave, currents, forecast, etc

For the iPhone I like the aero weather and yacht world apps and wind finder app as trendsetter said, but I'm sure there all based off environment Canada lol. Hope this helps.
Cheers Dan

When fishing a hoochie is it bettter to shorten up the leader to get more action from the flasher? Say 3-4 ft instead of the standard 6 when fishing anchovy? Also when do you think it is time to retire the old gear to bring in the new? I am just cleaning out the tackle box. I try to wash my gear after each trips use. Once the gear gets to beaten up, and the hoochie looks old and stained. Almost seems like it is carrying offensive scent to the fish. That being said sometimes the beaten up gear fishes better? Also the wear and tear on your flashers or spoons after so long. I guess it will be fun going to the fishing store to restock anyways. Aside from the bill at the end.

Shorten it up to 27-32" max

Tie up several.......32,34,36,38,40. (back of flasher to nose of hoochy)

Start short...and if no hits, go longer.....

Put in my time tonight in and around thrasher to grande....she was a lumpy run across. I was able to keep a 28mph cruise but should have probably eased up. Came home doing 20 in much more comfort. The center of the straight is littered with debris. Had some close ones on the way out. yikes!! small sticks to a few 30-50 foot trees. The river is the highest I've seen it this early in recent years and its bringing everything out with it. Travel safe!

As for the fishing? It was definitely that, just fishing. No catching. There was chatter from the Van Guides and it seems the last two days was basically dead. We ran gear 70-160 in water 400-1200' deep. Fished from 3-6pm. We did mark some good bait in the deeper water with a few birds feeding, but no takers.

Best of luck to all this weekend, looking forward to a better report than mine.

Tight Lines!

cool pic FB just put it on my friends pc
here in the UK
hope it makes him get his butt out to BC....lol

Heard of some good action off Grande this morning after the tide change...it was a steady couple of hours..

Fished yesterday 8:30-11am around the Hump.
1 lost at 9:30 then silence.

Heard of some good action off Grande this morning after the tide change...it was a steady couple of hours..
Heard the same, not sure how many Vanc side members made the crossing, was a bugger just getting out to the hump this morning, super nasty/sloppy,
we ended up with the same results today as J-Global had yesterday, heard of a few others taken on the hump 1 guide that I know of boxed 3 early on but definitely a slower day. most action coming in at 127' and meat
water did flatten out later in the am, crabbing was good, nice little reward on the way in.
Back out Monday and will probably make the crossing, wife yelling for some ling so I must obey lol
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
First time out to the hump ever Thursday morning (new guy around here). Two undersized one on a cop car the other on a wonderbread. Looked like a decent one on a cop car again but the line broke and it got away. At least it wasn't a totally uneventful day and the flat lander father inlaw got to see some salmon albeit small ones.

Put in some time 4-7 through the evening change at the east end of the hump. Nada for me. There were quite a few boats out with some friendlies in the mix, all with similar results.

I was harassed by updates throughout the day from the other side, off grande, "we are just playing catch and release up to 15lb, waiting for the big one..." Geez, did I do the last two days butt-backwards LOL

Fuel: $200
Fish: Zero
Living in a place like this:

Priceless :) (Next pic will have a fish!!)

Put in a solid afternoon at the hump. A couple undersize around 1pm but nothing more for the rest of the day. I'm thinking the rest of my early summer trips will be over to Gabriola at this point. Prawning was good and crab was ok to round out the day. Can't complain about the weather, just have a look at FB's pic above.

Cheers

I went back to bed this morning after seeing the wave height at halibut bank. Really itching to get out tomorrow. It's a solo day but may head across if wind cooperates, anyone brave the wind today?

Epic Day @ the Grande yesterday.. Left Mesquito Creek at 6:30am dropped the crab traps along Jericho and headed for Thrasher/Grande.. The crossing wasn't that bad for us at that time.. Minus an exploding front windshield on a 3 month old Trophy.(thats a whole nother story)... Cleaned up the glass and had the rods bent in 500' of water off the Grande by 9am. 5 minutes later double header a 10 and 15lber in the box. Had solid action for the next 2 hours straight.. Put another 15lber in the box and realeased a couple 10's and lost about the same. The bite died for a couple hours but then picked up again around 3pm where we started searching for the big "One".. Played catch and release on another 4 x 10 to 15lbers.. Lost an absolute screamer and rounded out the day wth a 18lb red.. 90% of the action was on a white glow flasher with a goldstar 4.0 kitchen sink spoon.. Got the 18 on anchovy same depth.. We covered alot of water from the Grande up towards Nanaimo... Deep to Shallow.. Most of the fish came in 500' to 300' of water.. Got a couple in tight @ 130'...

Stayed at Pages for night and made the trip home this morning as it wasn't fishable for us over there. Made 2 tacks and gave up.... It was just nasty!!

Will prolly hit the hump tomorrow with a couple friends that havent fished before so don't think the crossing is in the cards..

Tight Lines!!!

Sounds like a great day GypsyKing.........what depth were you getting most of your fish? Heading over tomorrow if the winds stay down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back