2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a good fish hammer my bottom rod at 110 feet today. Hit a spackel back teaser head, popped the clip and then bent the rod over and just started screaming. Grabbed the got things under control and felt I had a real nice fish on, hadn't had a hit like this in a long time. Played the fish for a long time and finally had it coming in to the boat on the surface when a damn seal grabbed it. Well my arms were already burning from the big runs from the fish, but I thought there's no way I am going to give away the best hitting fish I've had in 2 seasons. Well this eventually turned into let's just get the flasher back. In the end I was left with nothing more than a reel with no line and tired out arms

I had a 20 minute battle with a sealion a few years back he was not taking my 18lb northern coho even though i wasnt allowed to keep it it was the principal . It was the best fight I have ever had I played him perfectly and got the fish back. It had a couple big holes in it but hey it was sweet the wife and kid left me to fight the beast with my club and gaff , he wanted my fish back so bad he almost jumped onto my swim grid. I had 5 boats watch and ask if I needed help lol. Lucky he didn't want to swim just down then I brought it up them down it was strange. Dmurph you need a remote control around your next to chase them seals with the kicker lol. I've done it .

Wasn't to down Tim, was actually stoked. Funny part of the story was the only time my wife has a conference call ever on the boat, we hit a serious fish lol and she was on the phone and computer the entire time. I felt like Greg out there, trying to follow that seal around for ever and clear the other three rods. Good times, we will get one in the boat tomorrow.

I was out from about 5:00pm to dusk yesterday. No fish but wow what an evening on the water great sunset, awesome view of the mountains and city. I got so wraped up watching the sunset I got on my way home too late and ended up having to cruise the south arm back to dock in the dark. Now if only I could break my Vancouver fishing curse, I have been out 5 times so far and haven't got a single fish. I think I need to find some kind of voodo fish doll and start pulling hooks through it while dancing naked on the bow of my boat :)

I think I need to find some kind of voodo fish doll and start pulling hooks through it while dancing naked on the bow of my boat :)

Take some Hawkins Cheezies on board with you.....throw a few over as a sacrifice to the "gods". :p This is my gal's longstanding tradition. :rolleyes:

Take some Hawkins Cheezies on board with you.....throw a few over as a sacrifice to the "gods". :p This is my gal's longstanding tradition. :rolleyes:

Ha ha Pipen.....That's what my brother in law does..he does leave the dock with out them...too funny... :)

Ha ha Pipen.....That's what my brother in law does..he does leave the dock with out them...too funny... :)

Good to know my gal is not alone in her superstition......which I unfortunately have taken on too! :eek:

On a side note............SOMEONE IS GONNA HAVE AN AWESOME REPORT FROM THE HUMP TODAY!!!! ;) :cool: Sweet revenge!!!!

Word has it that 200 porpoises just came through the hump.

I was out from about 5:00pm to dusk yesterday. No fish but wow what an evening on the water great sunset, awesome view of the mountains and city. I got so wraped up watching the sunset I got on my way home too late and ended up having to cruise the south arm back to dock in the dark. Now if only I could break my Vancouver fishing curse, I have been out 5 times so far and haven't got a single fish. I think I need to find some kind of voodo fish doll and start pulling hooks through it while dancing naked on the bow of my boat :)

Wow....that's a bit of a slump given the number of fish around right now...I've been tracking your progress...I suggest you check out some of the local charter blogs, reports and tweets....you may want to follow some of them around....I'm one of them....assuming you're not running your bait backwards and you're fishing your gear correctly....you should be in the money...

I would recommend chartering a guide to learn a few things abut this fishery...or we can try to help you here.

First, tell me about your gear that you are fishing.....be as detailed as possible....

Good to know my gal is not alone in her superstition......which I unfortunately have taken on too! :eek:

On a side note............SOMEONE IS GONNA HAVE AN AWESOME REPORT FROM THE HUMP TODAY!!!! ;) :cool: Sweet revenge!!!!

Ya I just heard too, should be a great report, looking forward to it

Thanks fishin_magician for the offer to help, here is the gear I have been running

Obviously I am running downriggers loaded with braid, rubber trolling snubber, and 12lb fined balls

I attach my line grips to the swivel connection of the snubber

Bait
Lately I have been running anchovy’s, size is about 4 inches

I usually brine my bait using water and salt which I let soak overnight; I have also tried the brine off “Salmon University” which uses milk powder, liquid blueing, garlic….

Setups:

I am currently running:
1 setup with a chartreus glow teaser head and a chartreus edged flasher with sliver on both sides
1 setup with a Glow green splatter back head with a glow green pearl effect flasher

My leaders for both of these setups are 6ft long using 40lb mono

Hooks, I am using size 2 ST-56 Owner Treble Hooks + a 4/0 owner stinger, both hooks are black. My stinger is about 1” – 1.5” from the treble.

I try and make sure I have a good roll which I learned from watching you tube vids.

Spoons:

I have tried both Silver horde Irish Cream double glow, Cop Car glow, and glow green/white

I usually have green glow flasher and 40lb leader 5ft long

I typically set the flasher about 20-30ft behind the boat.

On the hump I have been fishing around 100ft, have tried 120, 80, and 50.

I usually keep my GPS speed to 2.5mph but I do watch to make sure I am getting that 45deg water entrance angle

On the hump I tend to stick round the other boats mostly towards the middle or closer towards Bowen.

So what am doing wrong? I think I am just an unlucky son of a B#$%^h

Marty,
Looks like your doing it right,
Only advice I'd give is to lighten up on leader go with 20-25lb and save the 40lb for hootchies, basically if it has its own action go light in leader and if it has no action like a hootchie go heavier that way the flasher imparts more action on the hook end, the low slack has been the best tide to fish.
Just put in your time it will happen
And don't worry about your speed, check your gear in the water boat side and set uour speed for best roll or spoon flutter that way
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty,

Try bringing the flasher in a little closer, say 15-20 feet instead of 20-30. I caught my only keeper out there on an irish creme spoon, 6ft leader, 15ft behind the ball, trolling 2.8-3.0 mph at 40ft deep.

Just keep putting the time in an eventually one will bite. If you have a good sounder watch for bait balls and concentrate your fishing around them.

Cheers

Thanks fishin_magician for the offer to help, here is the gear I have been running

Obviously I am running downriggers loaded with braid, rubber trolling snubber, and 12lb fined balls

I attach my line grips to the swivel connection of the snubber

Bait
Lately I have been running anchovy’s, size is about 4 inches

I usually brine my bait using water and salt which I let soak overnight; I have also tried the brine off “Salmon University” which uses milk powder, liquid blueing, garlic….

Setups:

I am currently running:
1 setup with a chartreus glow teaser head and a chartreus edged flasher with sliver on both sides
1 setup with a Glow green splatter back head with a glow green pearl effect flasher

My leaders for both of these setups are 6ft long using 40lb mono

Hooks, I am using size 2 ST-56 Owner Treble Hooks + a 4/0 owner stinger, both hooks are black. My stinger is about 1” – 1.5” from the treble.

I try and make sure I have a good roll which I learned from watching you tube vids.

Spoons:

I have tried both Silver horde Irish Cream double glow, Cop Car glow, and glow green/white

I usually have green glow flasher and 40lb leader 5ft long

I typically set the flasher about 20-30ft behind the boat.

On the hump I have been fishing around 100ft, have tried 120, 80, and 50.

I usually keep my GPS speed to 2.5mph but I do watch to make sure I am getting that 45deg water entrance angle

On the hump I tend to stick round the other boats mostly towards the middle or closer towards Bowen.

So what am doing wrong? I think I am just an unlucky son of a B#$%^h

Its common for me to have many skunked days in early April in Nanaimo, by the end of April usually get one or 2, come May if your not catching with that set up somethings worng...Your set up seems good, When i used to fish vancouver id go to Bowen and hit them 130-180 feet deep. Troll a tad slower, use a 4.5 foot leader, and 4 inch cop car down deep, very good go to.

Captain Party Marty.... The other members offering advice are correct..

Yeah....15 to 20 back on the flasher tops.

Invest in some 15 lb balls. Check your flasher rotation before you drop....1 revolution per second.

Cover area.....space your gear out. 1 rod at 100 feet at all times over the last few days..... Fish other rods from 75 to 145....

Pace your speed with the boats hooking fish.

If it's a Grady...chances are it's one of us guides are one of the other fishing addicts...er....lunatics...on this forum.

Perhaps scrap the bait for now....I know someone fishing nothing but tackle right now and he's out fishing us guides by 2 to 3 times on average...using simple commercial techniques us "sport inclined" are not.

Yes I missed the part of your gear way back, agreed 10-15 ' back is more then enough and less tangled gear too,
I'm heading to Hawaii for 10 days will be back on the 7th if you still havent boxed one send me a pm and your welcome to come out with us, this forum has given me so much over the years and I don't mind giving some back if I can,
You also might want to invest a couple hundred bucks or so in pacific anglers
" mastering saltwater course" it's very cheap for what you get out of it 3 hours of pure local professional knowledge and a day on the salty dawg learning all aspects of the year to come, just a thought
Tim

Wow what a great fish reporting thread whats happening at thraser, poliar pass, south arm, QA, T10 ............

Wow what a great fish reporting thread whats happening at thraser, poliar pass, south arm, QA, T10 ............

I dunno why don't you get out there and tell us!
But I'm pretty sure there will be a local major breaking report coming anytime now, it'll be worth the wait from what I hear

Sorry man....QA has fish too....as for the other areas right now....I don't care....because the hump is comparatively cheap to fish and there are fish close to home at the hump!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back