2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know when the bigger fish should come in? Seems we get the 25lbers starting mid May? These fish we are getting now must be the American fish that the Americans complain we catch even though they take our fish at will.

Fished the hump today, was in no hurry to get out due to the weather but anxiaty got the best of me and we poked our nose out to the hump..

wasn't bad coming from keats, was managable on the hump trolling with the wind...rods down at 8:30, by 9 that beautiful sight of the bouncing rod!!! set the hook, backed of the drag and handed the rod to my fiance, to (hopefully) land her first salmon!! after a couple runs, some instruction and a tangle with the other rod in still in the downrigger, we netted her first salmon at a whopping 7 pounds!!!...to add a funny twist to the story I pocket dialed FB, he and his GF got to hear the whole thing!!...only one shaker after that, packed it in around 12 to make the slow run back..

fish caught arond 80ft with irish cream

rough day but came home with dinner, and the fiance got a taste of the excitement...pretty proud of her

Attachments

• chubby mods 225.jpg
    chubby mods 225.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 442
  • chubby mods 228.jpg
    chubby mods 228.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 439
  • chubby mods 229.jpg
    chubby mods 229.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 442
  • chubby mods 230.jpg
    chubby mods 230.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 443
Fished the hump today pretty nasty ride out and back in,landed one about 12 pounds at 140ft on a chovy and released 3 shakers.It was sure nice to see the chovy ripped off the down rigger hope to be out a few more times this week.. good luck everyone!!!

Tight lines
Billydoo

fished around south bowen, gowan to tunstal,up to hutt, messy wind today for sure... beat our way out there @10;30.. glass on the way home to moody..shakers and a couple misses, caught a buzz, thats it!!

Was out today, some big holes on the way out to the hump. Picked up a 10 lbr on anchovie @ 95 ft trolling towards the island @AROUND 9AM. Started having problems with the kicker and bailed at 11. Fished the harbour for a while with no luck. A real nasty wind from the east blew up in there and pretty much blew us off the water.1 fish and 4 nice crab

fished around south bowen, gowan to tunstal,up to hutt, messy wind today for sure... beat our way out there @10;30.. glass on the way home to moody..shakers and a couple misses, caught a buzz, thats it!!

That's awesome, rumor mill had you in Bamfield this weekend... like, heard you were here... LOL!

Love this little place, we're running outta chit to talk about obviously...

See ya soon.

That's awesome, rumor mill had you in Bamfield this weekend... like, heard you were here... LOL!

Love this little place, we're running outta chit to talk about obviously...

See ya soon.

wasabi kid aka darren was out at the new digs in grappler.....see ya soon heff of bamland

I really tryed to fish yesterday. Attempted two runs out to the hump, on the second one we made it to hump around 1:00 and faced about a 3 foot chop, decided not to drop lines and went home. Probly should have stuck it out from the sound of things. Still haven't caught my first Vancouver Spring! Might need to start making cold and flu noises in the office today so I call in sick tommorow:)

Good on you for trying Marty.
The best way to fish those sort of conditions was to hammer out west, swing around and troll back in a following sea with the wind. Way easier to set lines and fish. I did quit after my eastward tack as well but mainly due to a bad headache. The wind got the better of me too though
( being old is my excuse- you don't have that excuse! lol)

Saturday I took a small window in the afternoon - fished solo. Wind was not too bad.
Hit a double header at the begining .. "oh no" I thought, being solo I'd rather have them spaced out a bit !! Of course both fish decide to cross to opposite sides of my boat not once but twice ! Had to work both rods at times all while getting a third rod up and out of the way - lol. Eventually had them both under control and landed both, a 11 and 15 (marble and red) Quit then with my 2 after only 30 min. fishing !... 100' and 115' chovy.

photo1.jpgphoto2.jpg

Yes it was a bit ugly yesterday...pounded out towards the hump from the south arm, problems with a downrigger and a high temp on the main while at idle, talked me into heading for home as well...

good to hear some guys made em pay....

PH, now THAT sounds like some fun. Good on ya for getting both!

Happy to say the skunk is off the boat. First blood touched the deck of Bad Habits in the form of an absolutely beautiful 17 lb female chinook. Not long after we lost a smaller fish but quickly picked up its swimming mate, at a healthy 8 pounds. Here's some shots of the big girl. Great day on tha water.
TKO and Irish Cream were the killers.

Cheers!

Congrats big time on the first blood buddy!!! Nice fish :). I don't check out this section of the forum that much. I guess I have to now lol. Glad the boat is working good and has proven herself.

Cheers,
John

Fished the hump today from 9-5 was quite nice out,
got the skunk off the boat, we hooked up 8, released 3 shakers and 1 barely legal,
lost a dandy right at the side of the boat, boxed a 12 and a 18 and cant remember what happened to the other Hmmm
fished irish cream spoons, chovies and green hootchies, got fish on all of them from 85-140' in
550' water, chovies were the favored 6' lead behind green glo flashers and green onion flashers.
seen and heard of lots of others boated as well.
had a heck of a time tho switching scotty HP counters back and forth as I had one that would not count, so we would put one down , switch covers from side to side and put the other down, crabbing was the pits off west van only 1 keeper, I think someone may have been kind enough to check them for us before we got back????

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Tim didn't realize that was your new boat, and I can't hear over the kicker noise. I thought you said you hit 5. I only hit 2 fish one I tried the winch in and lost, my mistake and one that hit good but let go as I went for the rod. Was pretty slow for us.Hope most of your action was before we got out there, and my boats not cursed. We had the hits on a cookies and cream and a TKO green glo black spoon, at 135 and 85. Crabbing was great on the Spanish banks side. Hope to land a fish tomorrow.

Nice Tim didn't realize that was your new boat, and I can't hear over the kicker noise. I thought you said you hit 5. I only hit 2 fish one I tried the winch in and lost, my mistake and one that hit good but let go as I went for the rod. Was pretty slow for us.Hope most of your action was before we got out there, and my boats not cursed. We had the hits on a cookies and cream and a TKO green glo black spoon, at 135 and 85. Crabbing was great on the Spanish banks side. Hope to land a fish tomorrow.
Hey Dave,
yeah we hit 3 more times after we talked to you, Rich lost a real nice one at the side of the boat looked to be bigger then his 18 doing the same as you trying to winch it lol I was right there with the net going no! no! no! snap Damn, had to laugh cause he knew better
most of our stuff came real fast on the low, then slowed up for the rest of the day with only 3 more hookups till we left around 5

I am thinking about making a run out this evening, hopefully I will find a hungry fish

I just got back with a couple of nice fish, awesome day on the water . For some reason the fish seem to be hanging at a certain depth and area,I got to go tomorrow as they are calling for light winds!!!!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back