2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Just got handheld vhf. Its has no 88a. Just 88. Will it still pick up the boys at the hump ?
what brand and modle#, probably have to set it to USA to get 88a

Lately I have been lucky they have been taking my Crab & Bait but leaving my gear.

Lucky...lol...

its really a catch 22 with these guys. Sure you could lock your trap before sending it down, but they'd likely just steal your gear...kind of a "f*** this guy, if he wants to lock poachers out, then we will just steal the trap", or if you overwieght your trap, are they likely to take your crab, "f*** this guy" and cut your line and throw it overboard never to be seen again? There's no winning. Just hope against such things.

I see it as a lose - lose situation really. A game of chance when shellfishing. I continue to have faith in mankind and put my gear down, because I love fishing and thats what we do. It really adds a sense of tension to your day, where there should be none. The constant worry of "will the traps be there? will I have a catch?" plays out throughout the day. Maybe a small mark on your trap line 50ft down (that you can notice), followed by a few barbed hooks imbedded in the line (that you would avoid) but likely the poacher would not....
I'm no lawyer so I'm not sure where the fine line is when it comes to protecting your gear but these are the things an angry man may consider.

Heres a picture. Again. I must re-itterate, they did not actually grab the bouy, but detailed in my story its fair to say it's suspect to keep an eye out for this boat. If someone has photobucket and would like to post it like that, I could email a copy.

-FB

poacherboat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
FB
I have fished these local Van waters for damn near 50 years ......... 35 with my own boats, lost to many traps, had many emptied, and or vandalized > Sick of it I refuse to put them down and leave both Prawn and Crab without being in eye sight ...........

I love the idea of the LOB the Cannon ball I have never been able to prove or catch one thief red handed, DEFINATELY POST THE PICS F.B.

and thanks for doing so in advance..... I'll be writing the #'s, Name of vessel and trying to print the pic.

HT

You did great. Fished Saturday for 12 hours from 8am to 8pm close to shore in about 400-500 ft of water and the fish were not there. Lots of people we talked to had no bites on Saturday. Scooted back to Vancouver at 8 pm Saturday. Fished over a 10 square mile area. Till next time. Thanks for all post. The fish will be around soon.
Hey fellow fisherman

Fished Gabriola sat and sun, Started fishing 7:30 until 1600 went 3 for 5 some nice fish chrome as can be,a 23 lb,15 and 10 three nice fish that was sat hit them deep at 150 ft in
1000 ft of water of the grande,sun day fished from 6:30 to 2:30 without a sniff so we called it a day and came home,it wasn't on fire by any means so Ill wait to hear some good reports before I go back over although Iam in the bobcat derby june 2 and 3rd,also I caught them on hootchies,splatter back and white nothing on bait but when I opened up their stomachs loaded with 6 to 7 once herring.

Tight lines
Billydoo

Roddy, not sure what handheld you ended up buying but I have the Standard Horizon HX851 handheld and like Gidyup said you need to switch to the USA Mode and you will (should) get 88A

Lucky...lol...

its really a catch 22 with these guys. Sure you could lock your trap before sending it down, but they'd likely just steal your gear...kind of a "f*** this guy, if he wants to lock poachers out, then we will just steal the trap", or if you overwieght your trap, are they likely to take your crab, "f*** this guy" and cut your line and throw it overboard never to be seen again? There's no winning. Just hope against such things.

I see it as a lose - lose situation really. A game of chance when shellfishing. I continue to have faith in mankind and put my gear down, because I love fishing and thats what we do. It really adds a sense of tension to your day, where there should be none. The constant worry of "will the traps be there? will I have a catch?" plays out throughout the day. Maybe a small mark on your trap line 50ft down (that you can notice), followed by a few barbed hooks imbedded in the line (that you would avoid) but likely the poacher would not....
I'm no lawyer so I'm not sure where the fine line is when it comes to protecting your gear but these are the things an angry man may consider.

Heres a picture. Again. I must re-itterate, they did not actually grab the bouy, but detailed in my story its fair to say it's suspect to keep an eye out for this boat. If someone has photobucket and would like to post it like that, I could email a copy.

-FB

View attachment 3883

Vietnemese and other orientals seem to make up the majority of names on the D.F.O. bad boy list, and these guys can be dangerous. We have had a few encounters with these poachers and my dad chased one down in the mighty Double Eagle we had. We were right on their stern and they threw paddles and other items at us untill they finally threw our prawn traps overboard, we reported them to D.F.O. and somehow these guys got our info and came and stole my dads kicker. Then they even had our phone number and called saying how they got us back and thats what happens when you mess with them, so be careful.

Was out saurday in the am for a few hours on the hump....wall to wall dolphins .....no hits ...nada
Pleasant morning on he water though
Congrats Roddy on getting the skunk off your boat

I hooked a porpoise sunday if that counts

To be honest, I'd sacrifice my gear and a few yards of mainline to engage in that fight! Sounds like fun!

But not on porpoise? :p

Are you "fishing" for a laugh :)

I can't tell by the TUNA your voice. Maybe it was said just for the HALIBUT! If I don't stop, someone should SOCK me in the EYE. Sorry folks, just being CRABBY. I just wanted to make sure I was HERRING this correctly...(at this point a bar would cut me off :) )

Kudos to everyone for making this thread helpful, informative and even FUN! I don't fish as much locally as I should, but what I know about our local waters, I have pretty much all learned here :)

Are you "fishing" for a laugh :)

I can't tell by the TUNA your voice. Maybe it was said just for the HALIBUT! If I don't stop, someone should SOCK me in the EYE. Sorry folks, just being CRABBY. I just wanted to make sure I was HERRING this correctly...(at this point a bar would cut me off :) )

BOO!!! I'm throwing a GAFF right now!

Few fish and weather sucks, I'm sure both will get better soon. :)

Hope so! came back from Van with a downrigger, halibut rod and a bunch of new lures/w.h.y.. Now I can't get out to try it all out until next week. Hopefully the weather will be good by then.

Happy fishin'!

Man, I hope you all dont look at all of us asians looking people out fishing in boats with a dirty eye. :( I have been fishing up Howe Sound for 20 years in my cuddy with twins, born and raised in BC. Im disgusted by these fricken poachers and net stealers just as much as anyone else. I was born here and this is my home so I respect what we have as well as regs. Comes down to simple respect for people and land and having some class ! Last year from Lions Bay marina, I saw some redneck looking punks in a Sewells rental, scoop a few traps from the shore of Lions Bay, I called Sewells to report these poachers. Sewells told me what they usually do is dump off their load at Sunset so when they came back, they look clean. It takes all kinds of scum from all races. I know its a touchy subject and Im not stupid, I know most of these poaching mofos are offshore immigrants but there are many of us who look the same that are not who respect the rules. Fish on buds !

By the way, check out this video, TONGA in trouble, boat look familiar ? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO9QTBKkZz4&feature=related

Lucky...lol...

-FB

View attachment 3883

AGAIN , Isn't the intent of this thread FOR FISHING !

If someone wants to debait the issues above, they can start their own thread.

Let's just get out and FISH !

Back