2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Beauty day to cross over to Gabriola flat as a pancake all day.Fished Thrasher .....my guest lost a 12 at the boat and released a barely legal for another day.Crab trap had 4 keepers. Both fish at 60 ft in 600 ft in the am on coyote spoons.

Beauty day to cross over to Gabriola flat as a pancake all day.Fished Thrasher .....my guest lost a 12 at the boat and released a barely legal for another day.Crab trap had 4 keepers. Both fish at 60 ft in 600 ft in the am on coyote spoons.

Too bad, I'm not liking the looks of things as it seems there are no fish around compared to other years at this time. Fingers crossed things change soon or I might have to go over to the Island.

Too bad, I'm not liking the looks of things as it seems there are no fish around compared to other years at this time. Fingers crossed things change soon or I might have to go over to the Island.
If you do and your near Bamfield, I will be at Poetts Nooke from June 18-27th (socks should be good near China Creek and from the reports inshore springs in numbers (not size , just good numbers) around Bamfield / Ukie.

Last edited by a moderator:
same for us trolled down from gibson's down to the hump and ran back up to the edge of the McCall bank

no joy even with 4 rods down spoons, fake baitrix and hoochie's

funny thing was it was blowing inside the sound when we ran back in

hope back out tomorrow anything happen this afternoon or eve

and found out the radio is not getting out but able to hear the chatter on 88a

tight lines folks

On the way back from Thrasher today I noticed that there were lots of porpoises cruising around off Bowen
What are they feeding on ..baitfish or salmon?
They must be sppoking the fish.

Is it possible that there is more baitfish this year in the Strait providing a tastier treat than frozen anchovies, rubber hoochies and metal spoons?

DEAD SLOW. Sorry guys. Fished 7am to 6pm all over south bowen and ended at the QA without so much as a bite. Ran 4 rods with spoons and ace highs at all depths. Most other boats came up empty on this side as well and if you did get fish you should just go a head and call yourself the fish whisperer lol. The other side around Thrasher produced some fish but also sounded pretty slow, Nanaimo on the other hand sounded like it really came to life. It was a killer day on the water any how , flat calm and sunny with easy currents. Crabbing was deadly also with nice big crab in all traps, easy limits. Good luck fellas fishing can change on any tide.

Is it possible that there is more baitfish this year in the Strait providing a tastier treat than frozen anchovies, rubber hoochies and metal spoons?

Was a very good amount of bait around last year too , maybe more and no commercial herring fishery like this year. Seems like maybe the runs are late ? Funny comment though, seems crazy they go for some of the stuff we throw at them.

I don't think it works that way but good theory. If Nanaimo is turning on now are those not the fish that were at Thrasher? If they are then that would be the end of the run here.:(

10 hour shift at thrasher today; not a single hit. well except for a few gray cod that is. Hard to even tell those things are on the line. Made up for the lack of salmon with a 12lb ling and a trap full of crabs. Nice calm waters and lots of sun so can't complain.

Cheers.

I don't think it works that way but good theory. If Nanaimo is turning on now are those not the fish that were at Thrasher? If they are then that would be the end of the run here.:(

I think/hope its the reverse and the fish are working there way down the inside and then on towards the fraser.

I think/hope its the reverse and the fish are working there way down the inside and then on towards the fraser.
I Think/Hope your right,
I think them whites and marbles we had a week or two back were destined for other rivers, Squamish maybe?
just waiting on the reds to show in numbers now, was at Thrasher all day yesterday didnt hit anything, bunch of annoying p-cod, did well on the reefs for our
lings and rockies, did hear of lots of "larger' fish up around Neck point and fingers, heard of a couple near 30 up that way so thats encouraging,
they're coming so just be patient, but yes I agree there was lots of baitfish around for sure

DEAD SLOW. Sorry guys. Fished 7am to 6pm all over south bowen and ended at the QA without so much as a bite. Ran 4 rods with spoons and ace highs at all depths. Most other boats came up empty on this side as well and if you did get fish you should just go a head and call yourself the fish whisperer lol. The other side around Thrasher produced some fish but also sounded pretty slow, Nanaimo on the other hand sounded like it really came to life. It was a killer day on the water any how , flat calm and sunny with easy currents. Crabbing was deadly also with nice big crab in all traps, easy limits. Good luck fellas fishing can change on any tide.

Eriks and I were out on Satuday morning. I could not believe how many seals were by your boat yesterday, when we passed you at the Hump. We hit Thrasher in the morning. One decent hit in about 500 feet of water on a white hoochie at 115 feet and that was it. Lots of Pacific Cod which are hard to tell you have on the line. Had our kids on board and they wanted to fish bottom fish, so stopped Salmon at 11 AM. Got some decent Lings and were done by 1 PM.

Fished Thrasher from 730-4 on Saturday. Was a bit slow for the first hr but then we started finding action offshore in 500-1200ft of water. We had 8 hits and unfortunately our conversion ratio was not so good as we only landed two 8 and 20lbs. Lost a couple screamers probably around 20lbs right on the surface about 100ft behind the boat. These fish were definitely fighters! Cj Specials, Green splatterback hootch, and anchovies in glow bullet roll teasers all produced. All fish caught were between 75 and 111ft. We couldn't bare the afternoon heat so we left and headed back to Galiano. Went out for the evening to the cable area and caught a 15lb red in 10 minutes of trolling 88ft down in aprox 120-140ft. Great scrap and a great way to end the day. The guy on the rod lost all his in the AM so he was stoked to finally get er done. Beauty day all in all.

cheers

I hope the water is calm tomorrow, will head to the old stomping grounds near Nanaimo, If Its good at five fingers , its got to be great at Rocky Point. !!

Fished Thrasher and Neck Pt. today....left the purses at home and crossed in this mornings light gale, abit bumpy but thats the chuck for ya....talked to Highroller, Saturday was beauty weather, but hardly any fish boated (excluding the 4 from his) gave us a spot to work for them (off the 5th finger), which we did, right at the bite, but no luck...

Thrasher we managed the rods down to pick up a pair of nice lings for dinner, in the last hours of the evening. The crossing home was beautiful. Pretty calm, Took just under 45mins @ 22kn. All and all a nice day :p to bad it was just us that thought so.

Ran across that custom built aluminum catermarran that was on the news behind gabriola, that had a pop up camper and luxury interior....pretty slick boat!

Hello Member's of the form....... Again Warning watch out for your crab trap's . Out on Friday water was great till we went to pick our trap's Used my lowrance gps to find our trap's GONE GONE what the F???? I know that my gps is dead on and never fail's . after a half hour Follow your track's to your way point's My float's were low profle to keep raider POACHER"S at bay and were not easy to see my 30ak12122 number's. ( Montegobay ) I think the baster's are watching any boater's off Jerico / English Bay mile marker's What buddy???? leave my trap's take the F crab's Sorry for not useing the Queen's lang.... gone 125ft lead core and a stainless crab trap X2 this is B.S.... But manage a nice fish any way off the bell boy!!! So fellow form member's beware... Tonga ....Lingling... We see our trap's were calling the Vancouver water police this is War Montegobay Out ):

Last edited by a moderator:
Back