2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Well...this fishing report is fueled in part by....WIND POWER. Heard one report this morning so far which says "no fish off South Bowen between a few boats".

I know Nanaimo area is not this thread but since it seems to be very quiet , reporting wise from the Island and we could make it over ,I heard VHF chatter that one boat , who I shouldn't mention , had 6 springs on board , fishing the 5 fingers area at 120 feet in about 6 hours, I knew I should have hooked up to the ferry as it went by the hump. (and I could have bragged about the GREAT fuel/mlg I was getting .. both ways )

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Nanaimo area is not this thread but since it seems to be very quiet , reporting wise from the Island and we could make it over ,I heard VHF chatter that one boat , who I shouldn't mention , had 6 springs on board , fishing the 5 fingers area at 120 feet in about 6 hours, I knew I should have hooked up to the ferry as it went by the hump. (and I could have bragged about the GREAT fuel/mlg I was getting .. both ways )

Now there's a great way to improve on your fuel economy and fishing!

Anybody fishing the harbour ? Or any other local areas and having luck ?

Very slow. A couple of nice ones I know of which were hooked yesterday in English Bay. One boat lost one behind the boat I heard and the other one shook off part way through the fight. Heard of another one off Cowan and another one at the hump in close off Bowen. If you have the boat for it, you may want to go over to Snake Island, Neck Point, and 5 fingers as it's quite good over there. I know of 2 Tyees and a bunch of 12-20 pound fish taken there the past 2 days.

Now there's a great way to improve on your fuel economy and fishing!

I make one post about fuel economy and how great I thought the boat I fish does...and 2 pages later you guys are still bashing on me for it....

at least it got you guys talking and a few more reports on the board....but I get the idea, me dumb, you smart...clap clap clap....done with it now?

-FB-

Fished this afternoon from Cowan towards Curtis then headed out to the hump, 1 hit at the hump & 1 cod, another great day out there (condition wise) and more action that last Sat.

Heading over to Gabriola on friday after work for the weekend.. My fishing buddies parents live on Gab, so home cooked meals it is and a killer deck over looking the ocean.. Keeping the boat at Silva Bay and hitting Thraser Saturday and Sunday. Pretty Stoked.. I'm starting to get more familiar with the area but only started going over in the last couple seasons and haven't done any crabbing over there. Is it worth bringing the traps? I don't think I will be dropping them at Jericho on my way out.. If so, can someone point in the right direction??? Thanks... Anyone else heading over?

Yes gk Im heading over there is a derby there this weekend 50 per person should be good,Ill be staying at Pages marina rented a cabin there for fri,sat so hope the fishing picks up a bit 24 ft grady with flags on the antennas we will see you out there

ps I don't know where to crab maybe put something on the naniamo site and someone might help you out..

Tight lines
Billydoo

Hit Howe Sound for a half day this morning. Tried all the usual haunts, where they should be at this time of year and nothing! Worked choives and hoochies from 35 to 110. Did have 5 inch herring hit an anchoive. Never seen that before. Threw it on in teaser head. Look so good it brought tears to my eyes, but no takers.

Hopefully some good reports from others will come in?

Sea (see for BM) what happens when we worry about fuel consumption or costs, nobody goes fishing, Hey guys go and fish ....can't take it with ya when the final bell goes.
I am going out on Monday , so has anyone see any fish around since the slow down in Nanaimo.
You know what that means , yes they got to be on our side now
GL and go getem

Sea (see for BM) what happens when we worry about fuel consumption or costs, nobody goes fishing, Hey guys go and fish ....can't take it with ya when the final bell goes.
I am going out on Monday , so has anyone see any fish around since the slow down in Nanaimo.
You know what that means , yes they got to be on our side now
GL and go getem

I am planning to go Monday. Hoping to hear some good reports from today!

from radio chatter
sounds like the bite was back on over the other side,.....

from radio chatter
sounds like the bite was back on over the other side,.....

Arrived at Hump in 2ft chop and put gear down only to hear what I thought was my engine squeaking ,looked up and a porpoise surfaced right against the side of my boat and scared the living sh#t out of me! I thought I was about to get eaten by a a whale, after a couple of hours I finally ditched the porpoises because they had scattered any fish around and of course a seal popped his head up and followed me for an hour. Not a bite and I did everything ,used everything. Lots of chatter because there was a big derby on and more boats means more fish. I heard of one over 30lbs had been caught, I'm glad I didn't make the crossing cause it was tough enough getting back from Bowen in choppy water.

Ran over to thrasher yesterday with a friend. We managed to catch 2 fish in the chopy seas one 17lb and one 13lb. One fish was caught on a 4" silver Hoard Irish Cream spoon at 130' and the other on a 3" Flaming Haunz at 150'.

Back