2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

and more important ...... HOW MUCH FUEL !!

4.3 Vortech Fuel injected+ awesome power and fuel, I cruise at 29 m.p.h. 3500 r.p.m. with the Solas 4 blade that I had cupped. When I bought my kicker back in 2005 I couldn't believe I was paying $3200 for a 8 horse motor but my T-8 has never missed a beat since and only spark plugs and oil changes. The T-8 sips the fuel and has more than enough torque to push my little 21 footer, I see the guides and others trolling with the big motors and wonder how much fuel they use?

Fished thrasher from 130-600pm and not even a bite. Same area and gear as where it was hot last Friday saturday. Nice day though other than the stench of skunk.

4.3 Vortech Fuel injected+ awesome power and fuel, I cruise at 29 m.p.h. 3500 r.p.m. with the Solas 4 blade that I had cupped. When I bought my kicker back in 2005 I couldn't believe I was paying $3200 for a 8 horse motor but my T-8 has never missed a beat since and only spark plugs and oil changes. The T-8 sips the fuel and has more than enough torque to push my little 21 footer, I see the guides and others trolling with the big motors and wonder how much fuel they use?

Wonder how much those twins cost going from HS bay to Thrasher , hmmmm .
My 9.9 4 stroke seems to be ok but might just trade it in for an 8, I can damn near get the striper up on plan with the 9.9 LOL

Fished thrasher from 130-600pm and not even a bite. Same area and gear as where it was hot last Friday saturday. Nice day though other than the stench of skunk.

At least you had a great day on the water and looks like a short run to the fishing grounds, did you try any bottom fishing ?

Wonder how much those twins cost going from HS bay to Thrasher , hmmmm .
My 9.9 4 stroke seems to be ok but might just trade it in for an 8, I can damn near get the striper up on plan with the 9.9 LOL

I was on a 27 grady with twin yammi's just a couple weeks back and at 28mph we were burning 20gph,
My 4.3 volvo penta at the same speed burns 8gph and 10 at 34mph, my 9.9 4 stroke merc wont even make the fuel sensor register. if I leave the dock at mosquito creek full and hit thrasher, troll all day and head back I'll burn in the area of 80 liters for the day in the Grady we buned damn near 200 on the same trip, but you know what, you just cant beat that fishing platform and I'd swap rides in s heartbeat, it will be my next boat and twins are a must IMO

I was on a 27 grady with twin yammi's just a couple weeks back and at 28mph we were burning 20gph,
My 4.3 volvo penta at the same speed burns 8gph and 10 at 34mph, my 9.9 4 stroke merc wont even make the fuel sensor register. if I leave the dock at mosquito creek full and hit thrasher, troll all day and head back I'll burn in the area of 80 liters for the day in the Grady we buned damn near 200 on the same trip, but you know what, you just cant beat that fishing platform and I'd swap rides in s heartbeat, it will be my next boat and twins are a must IMO

I do about the same as you with my set up 200HP Ocean Pro and 9.9 4 Stroke for the day from Mcdonald Beach Ramp and my striper ride is pretty nice.
200 ltrs for a little bit or substantually better ride , I couldn't afford ! Nice to have lots and lots and lots of disposable cash !
As long as I am safe and can drink my coffee, listen to my vhf / radio and stay in my seat during the run over, I'll take my ride for 80 lts and hell with the exception of the run the actual fuel cost for fishing is all the same for all of us and the comfort.

If I didn't have a couple of other expensive hobbies I would have that Grady lol Here is my street legal Shelby drag car at Mission, motor in this vid from last year puts out out 850 h.p. at the crank. Iam in the process of building another motor with over 1000 crank h.p. for next year. https://vimeo.com/30682353

Last edited by a moderator:
If I didn't have a couple of other expensive hobbies I would have that Grady lol Here is my street legal Shelby drag car at Mission, motor in this vid from last year puts out out 850 h.p. at the crank. Iam in the process of building another motor with over 1000 crank h.p. for next year. https://vimeo.com/30682353

sweet video, I bet I could here that thing from my house on the hill in mission! pretty sweet!

We are heading out on the water Sunday...winds look real good. the skies might be a bit dark but it seems the perfect conditions for the fish to start biting! WIll be launching from MacDonald at 6am. Will likely fish the hump to keep close to our traps. It sounds like thrasher has fallen off from last week so we will see! Plan on running white hoochies of varying sizes and styles all day on my side....will see what happens, should be a long full day! Anyone else going to be in that area?

-FB-

Hit upper Howe Sound yesterday morning. It was beautiful glass calm and no wind. Fished until 12:30 PM when wind really picked up. No action to show for our efforts.

Well Sir-Vivor let me tell you how much fuel! I rebuilt my motor so I am interested in fuel burn myself. Just got back from filling up. So from full to full it took 63.6 litres. I launched from McDonald Beach and went to Thrasher. That distance is 40 nautical miles round trip and took me an hour to go each way, so just under 32 liters per hour. If I go by my hour meter I put on 2.2 hours for the round trip so that drops the litres per hour slightly to 29 litres per hour. The other way people calculate fuel burn is litres per gallon (miles per gallon, gallons per mile?? what is a gallon anyway??) sorry I digress! Anyway 40 nautical miles divided by 63.6 L = 1.6 Litres per n.mile. If I can quote Vigneault " It is what it is". Not cheap but not bad. Oh and I burned 5 litres in the 9.9 Yamaha trolling for 5 hours.

Nice car max, I know what you mean by other hobbies, I have 2 cars as well both running strokers I guess thats why fuel burn in the boat seems so minimal

I've got a 28 grady with twin 225 four stroke yamaha's and I cruise at 30 mph burning 7.5 gph. Unfortunately that is per motor, so 15 gph total. The one you were on must have been 2 strokes - mine is better but still makes for an expensive trip over.

Nope they were 4 strokes yammi meter reading 20gph but each boat and driver will be different

well yesterday eve around the slack picked up our first fish a white of about 12-14 lbs
on glow/green stripe hoochie green glow/silver flasher at 126'

between the edge of the McC bank and the hump more paisley/popham rather than roger curtis

as where out of Gibson's

had fun with the big blue cruise ship which came by and took a few snaps of the huge thing

and was out from the edge of the bank today going towards the hump and
no hits spoon hoochies -bait and fake anchovy from 80-136

even ran 2 satcked on one side but no joy wind and rain came in before mid day so we called it quits
seen a few boats around the hump but radio chatter was quite one fish taken i think

how do i get into the radio chatter as i am fishing a differing spot but not sure of call signs

john on the blue 19 zeta Gam-beer

well yesterday eve around the slack picked up our first fish a white of about 12-14 lbs
on glow/green stripe hoochie green glow/silver flasher at 126'

between the edge of the McC bank and the hump more paisley/popham rather than roger curtis

as where out of Gibson's

had fun with the big blue cruise ship which came by and took a few snaps of the huge thing

and was out from the edge of the bank today going towards the hump and
no hits spoon hoochies -bait and fake anchovy from 80-136

even ran 2 satcked on one side but no joy wind and rain came in before mid day so we called it quits
seen a few boats around the hump but radio chatter was quite one fish taken i think

how do i get into the radio chatter as i am fishing a differing spot but not sure of call signs

john on the blue 19 zeta Gam-beer

Hi John,

Good to hear about the fish, good one !
If you hear me on chanel 88a, where I am usually on, feel free to give me a holler. I go by Sir-Vivor.
If you hear a call between two other boats (usually they are on 88a) , give one a holler or both once they are finished, most of the guys are really great about saying hello, but if they don't respond, don't worry because it happens to me, in fact some guys will respond to you for a week then all of a sudden
decide to pass your calls off, all I say is lots of kids in the sand box, just keep smiling ! (however I'm sure they would respond to a distress if you had one)
Have fun out there and maybe talk to you soon about all the fish we are hitting !

Clint
PS ; is your boat name Gam-beer ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi John,

Good to hear about the fish, good one !
If you hear me on chanel 88a, where I am usually on, feel free to give me a holler. I go by Sir-Vivor.
If you hear a call between two other boats (usually they are on 88a) , give one a holler or both once they are finished, most of the guys are really great about saying hello, but if they don't respond, don't worry because it happens to me, in fact some guys will respond to you for a week then all of a sudden
decide to pass your calls off, all I say is lots of kids in the sand box, just keep smiling ! (however I'm sure they would respond to a distress if you had one)
Have fun out there and maybe talk to you soon about all the fish we are hitting !

Clint
PS ; is your boat name Gam-beer ?
Also I hear alot of issues with people only hearing half the conversation, if this seems to be happening your on the wrong 88,
88 is for Canada which transmits on freq 157.425 and recieves on freq 162.025 and 88a is for USA which transmits and recieves on freq 157.425
which is the channel most use, so if your vhf doesnt show the "A" after 88 make sure you are in USA mode and you'll be on 88A, I know my old uniden didn't distinguish
between 88 and 88a just had to make sure you were in USA mode

I was called a couple of times on Sat. but when I answered no one was there, either they were too far away or maybe on the other 88 ?

Back