2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

I have had luck at a consistant 3-3.5 around Thrasher and the hump this season so far and in past 2.5-4 was the hit speed for me , for springs on the Straight , early season.
Just my 2 cents

I have not heard any good reports, have you? Might save fuel and Hump it in the morning.

Hey BM,
The VHF chatter was indicaiting thrasher.
I'm going to head out there Monday and poss Tues, if the waters calm.
The Orcas were reported from Polier to Thrasher , back and forth.
And with the winds and maybe rain Monday .... Could be a Hugh fuel bill just trying to locate them
GL and pls let me know if you get into them this weekend .

Hey Roddy
Wow, you were out for 40 hrs this week in that wind??? That's impressive, don't give up - maybe you just need the Socks to show up - LOL!!! There are TONS of parameters to deal with, inc. tides as well. It was (and still mostly is) and can be very frustrating fishing for all of us out there to - that's why this forum can be very helpful. I also went out tons before I ever hooked anything here. I took everyone's good advice and went out a few times on Bonchovy (not an inexpensive option) and I also did the course at Pacific Angler. The course was great value for money IMHO. They want to help you. I never had anyone to show me the ropes, so I needed all the help I could get. This place ain't Nootka or the island...
Keep it simple, wash your hands with sunlight soap before you touch your gear, don't gas up on your way out, no fried chicken on board, know the implications and where to fish on certain tides, leader lengths for hootchies, chovies and spoons (they all differ), etc. etc.
The local tackle stores also help you - they know their stuff (and will probably try and sell you a little more than what you really need), but they are an excellent option too. Canadian Tire has gear, but no expertise.
Just keep at it, and, as someone said earlier, it's still lots of fun getting out there even if you don't catch anything.
Take a good friend with you, and it'll always be a fun day on the water.

well i have friends who join me so its been fun....i have been wearing gloves recently and added smelly jelly aswell thinking my scent might be the problem....so i plan on fishing hump tomoro morning with cousin and couple girls til 3 then back out with my sister 5 til 8....lol...i will keep trying. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Give a wave if you see me at the hump campion 21 ft prolly couple ugly girls onboard

Hey BM,
The VHF chatter was indicaiting thrasher.
I'm going to head out there Monday and poss Tues, if the waters calm.
The Orcas were reported from Polier to Thrasher , back and forth.
And with the winds and maybe rain Monday .... Could be a Hugh fuel bill just trying to locate them
GL and pls let me know if you get into them this weekend .

I'll have a look at the water in the morning but most likely hang in at Bowen, I also have a newbie on board .

2.2 m.p.h. works for me
same for me 2.2 and up to 3.0 if you think your trolling too fast your probably bang on,
keep the rigger lines at 30-45 degrees of blowback and your golden

well i have friends who join me so its been fun....i have been wearing gloves recently and added smelly jelly aswell thinking my scent might be the problem....so i plan on fishing hump tomoro morning with cousin and couple girls til 3 then back out with my sister 5 til 8....lol...i will keep trying. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Give a wave if you see me at the hump campion 21 ft prolly couple ugly girls onboard

Hey Roddy ,

what you got spooled on your downriggers ??
If wire, have you checked the boats electrical discharge ? (useing a oms meter or a black box ).
If your know your boats discharge is high and your in an area where everyone but you are catching fish and you are using the same technics and nothing is hitting, well then I would certianly consider finding a way to lower the discharge by maybe a black box, finding the main cause for the discharge or changeing to braid line (sometimes a braid change might work).
I once had a boat that was throwing out a very high reading , got a black box and it seemed to work.
Lots of guys dont believe in the black boxs' and they may be right but commercial guys have been using a like system to catch fish for years, so go figure.

I dont use a black box now because my electronc field is well within acceptable ranges and I use braid on one side.

I have noticed that all my hits this year have been on the braid side so I will be changing if it continues.

I have a couple of black boxes for sale if you want to buy one LOL

Again, just my 2 cents

GL and go get'em , put in the time and you'll get the first one and then many more !!

Clint

Last edited by a moderator:
Heading out in the morning too, winds look favorable, just not sure where yet, I'll most likely head to thrasher, will make the decision in the am.
Tim

Gee, I ain't fishin the Hump and listening to the slaying at Thrasher again! I'll blow a couple of hundred on fuel.

We are planning to head out tomorrow morning - first trip out this season! Most likely just going to the hump. Arima with blue top.

johan

I will be heading out to gabriola tomorrow morning around 7 ish leaving from pt moody see you guy over there I have a 24 grady with flags on my antennas you can't miss me then Illl be staying at the silva bay inn and fishing sunday hope it will be good,,good luck everyone cheers

Tight lines
Billydoo

YUUP! I have a the vintage 18.5 double eagle, green deck, green top, canadian flag on my antenna. I/O. Daddys Toy on the side. Maybe I'll see you there. Good luck!

Back