2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

seems some are on 88 and others on 88a (usa), sorry cant help you on the launch times

is it possible that 88a can recieve calls from 88, but not vice versa? Gidyup do you have an option on your vhf to choose 88 or 88a?

Mc Donald opens at 5, pay for a couple days if overnighting..or be towed. Nice run if it's nice.

Good luck to you, health still holding this boat in storage.

ENVIOUS !

HT

I have will have the only orange boat there my boat name is obsession will you guys be on channel 88? Does anyone know what time the launch opens at macdonald beach? 4am or 5am

I run up the North Arm of the Fraser just about every week , just a hint:
**** KEEP YOUR EYES PEALED FOR DEAD HEADS ****** LOGS *****
I am usually able to motor out at 30 mph but like I said keep a steady eye out for the logs and give a wide berth to the men at work (tug boat operators), great bunch of guys if you givem a little respect and lots of room.
Good luck and have a safe trip, Thrashers 18 miles from the tip of the North Arm (light) and it was hot very hot on Monday.

Clint

Last edited by a moderator:
I run up the North Arm of the Fraser every week , just a hint:
**** KEEP YOUR EYES PEALED FOR DEAD HEADS ****** LOGS *****
I am usually able to motor out at 30 mph but like I said keep a steady eye out for the logs and give a wide berth to the men at work (tug boat operators), great bunch of guys if you givem a little respect and lots of room.
Good luck and have a safe trip, Thrashers 18 miles from the tip of the North Arm (light) and it was hot very hot on Monday.

Clint

Wise words from Clint....deadheads bewarre! There are some spooky looking logs just breaking the waters surface, or just under it. These logs can make for a bad day!

Jordan, in the PM you asked about Malcom beach launch....if its Macdonald Beach (Iona Beach) boat launch you are referring to, we use this regularily. Great little launch, quickly becoming a favorite. 12 bucks for the day, not sure on the overnight though but HighTide seems to know the run around...

1. Gate might be closed but they do not lock it, its just dummy locked to keep out loser teenagers. Just give it a push open.

2. On low tide be very care as your trailer will fall off the end of the ramp and could get jammed. Less than 2 feet tides.

3. If you have trouble paying just write a note and put it on the dash, I've never been towed.

4. When going down the river stay in the middle and watch your sounder.

5. Deadheads can be a problem, I no longer follow other boats as they can drive a deadhead down then you smack it.

See you guys at thrasher, Jac it should be an easy run for you just listen to the advice given regarding the river. Blackmax makes a good point regarding the following of other boats. FB I believe it is possible to hear 88a on 88 but not transmit.

Will be heading out Saturday with Eriks from the Forum. We'll have our Sons on board, so hopefully we'll be the boat with a bunch kids fighting Salmon!

looks like i'll be heading over to Thrasher Sat morning "25' Whaler revenge ,black top". Bringing the little woman with me so if it looks like im by my self i'm not ,she may just have her head below gunnel hight :) (if ya know what i meen) See you guys over there and good luck to all.
Dan

I give rigger depth, unless I explicitly state it was "estimated" water depth. I usually assume that others are giving rigger depth

When you guys give your fishing depth is it the depth on your digger or what you actually figure your at?

....looks like I will be at the lake Saturday...damn! the Miss will be coming out this time (not one for the ocean) so that is at least a plus....I'll just have to focus on my thirst and hunger, more than fishing...don't see it being too bad!

Hey nick I would bring ya but we are sleeping over a Silvia bay for the night.

Maybe next time

is it possible that 88a can recieve calls from 88, but not vice versa? Gidyup do you have an option on your vhf to choose 88 or 88a?

Hey FB, yes I can change between Usa, Int, Can, you should be able to as well most all can,
88 transmits on 157.425 and Rx on 162.025 whereas 88A broadcast and RX on the same 157.425 thats why sometimes you only hear half the confab. you will either have a UIC button or a hidden menu you will have to access, check out this link to a uniden manual
it should get you in the right area

http://www.uniden.com/content/ebiz/uniden/resources/ownersmanuals/UM380om.pdf

and if your interested here's a link to all the VHF channels and designations
http://www.ve7prc.ca/vhf_marine_frequencies.htm

Tim

Any reports from today's action? We're trying to decide if it's Thrasher or The Hump tomorrow. I heard that it wasn't as good at Thrasher today as earlier this week, so any reports/advice would be appreciated.

Hey nick I would bring ya but we are sleeping over a Silvia bay for the night.

Maybe next time

Thanks Jordan, no worries there! Appreciate the consideration though! It should be a beautiful evening for you at Silva Im guessin'.

Tim, thanks for the links...will get on this asap!

Out on the hump this afternoon, 1 hit and lost one to them pesky seals, got the head back, a white spring, in the twenties by the size of it, crabs gonna get the rest, green hootch at 82'

Any reports from today's action? We're trying to decide if it's Thrasher or The Hump tomorrow. I heard that it wasn't as good at Thrasher today as earlier this week, so any reports/advice would be appreciated.

Fished The Hump (+or-) from 09:00 to around 16:00 today with devers.

Nottta heckuva lotta goin' on all morning/most of the afternoon then hit a very strong fish @ 60' on Anchovy/Chartreuse head/Chartreuse flasher.

Sadly I had forgotten the Anchovy heads and the jerry-rigged setup we had didn't stand up the hook straightened and that was it for the day.

Good News-a notable absence of crap in the water and no jellies at all!

I can't remember the last time I fished out there @ this time of year and didn't end up with burning hands from stingers so that was a change.

Plus Harbour Porpoises did a swim by just as we left!

Fished thrasher this afternoon, 12:30 to 5:30. No hits for me. Ran white hoochies for the first few hours then anchovies for the rest. Lots of weeds in the water. checking and cleaning off weeds every 15-20 minutes.

Back