2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

For stacking I was thinking of going with the double ended clip unit. That way there are no worries as it just pops?
yep that works best as long as it pops properly, another thing your going to find out is that those Scotty HP counters are only accurate with 200' of cable on them
any more and they count wrong for example I have 400' of hp stainless and if I let out 100' my counters read 86, they are not even accurate with the 300' they come with
I'm just in the process of stripping off a couple hundred.
Tim

yep that works best as long as it pops properly, another thing your going to find out is that those Scotty HP counters are only accurate with 200' of cable on them
any more and they count wrong for example I have 400' of hp stainless and if I let out 100' my counters read 86, they are not even accurate with the 300' they come with
I'm just in the process of stripping off a couple hundred.
Tim

That's an interesting point. I've got 250' of braid on mine. I wonder how accurate the counter is for that? I guess you could set your motor in gear and watch the ball on your depth sounder as a test.

That's an interesting point. I've got 250' of braid on mine. I wonder how accurate the counter is for that? I guess you could set your motor in gear and watch the ball on your depth sounder as a test.

That is a good point, I'll sound a piece of water 100ft. deep on a calm day and drop the ball to the bottom and compare. Its 24 hrs later and I still regret not going to Thrasher yesterday damn.:(

Had one of our best trips over to thrasher on Monday and Tuesday, sun, glassy water and a solid amount of springs to the boat. Boxed 4 springs between 19 and 16 lbs all hard fighting and lost 3 more before going bottom fishing on monday. Ended up with 3 whites and one pea head red. The 19 hit as we set our gear so that was a good start to the trip . We were fishing out deep in 1000' of water. Tuesday stared off with a double header and we landed a nice 14 lbs white followed by 2 more in short order, a white and a red 13 and 12 before it died off for us. We ran 4 hootchies between 110 and 60' the entire trip. Best part of the trip for me was having both riggers popping off rods, switched my side of the boat to braid like my wife's and it seemed to double the production. Fished the derby on sunday and didn't even have a bite, 100 or so boats out and 27 fish scaled in I believe with a 29. 11 oz fish taking the prize.

I'm thinking of dragging my boat up from the Okanagan thisweekend if I can get off work. By the sounds of it looks like it would be a good weekend to do a siliva bay overnight trip? Anyone else running over on Saturday?

This is the report from guide Bon Chovy.....
We have had our best chinook fishing of the year in the last week! On average we have been hooking 6 to 14 chinook salmon per full day charter over on the eastern shoreline of Gabriola Island. There is obviously the odd slow period thrown in, but the morning bite has been pretty hard to beat this week. The tides have been really strong over the last few days with the full moon, so with any luck fishing could get even better this weekend with more mellow tides. Hootchies and spoons have been best as usual over there. The fish have been scattered in depth from 50 to 160 feet.

Locally, we had a decent day off the “Hump” yesterday landing a couple of beauties, including a 21 pounder! The fish have been quite a bit shallower than normal this year, 40 to 100 feet have been the ticket over the last week.

Winds are dying down now but I got this stupid work thing in the way. Problem is no work, no money,no afford fishing.

X2 !!!!
But on my days off , I'm so there . For me this shift Mon /Tues .
I hope by then the winds have died (today for the rest of u) so I can overnight at silva bay.

anyone making it out for the weekend? Marine weather is calling for 5-10 friday afternoon to 5-10 variable saturday, sunday light winds....

looking pretty good! hoping to join the group this time...faulty vhf permitting! making it out Saturday (so long as captain, oh captain, reads this haha). Sunday is Mother's Day so I'm hoping to put some fresh spot prawns on her plate!

I should be at Thrasher saturday

I'll be out there in my red 14' Lund on Saturday, weather permitting. Getting excited and looking forward to putting all the good advice I got into action for the first time.

Can't get out there until 10 am, but the tides look good for the morning and early afternoon. Will be working west of the Cap and dodging the big boats. See you out there!

Duff

Do most of you guys have your boat moored in van or do most of you guys launch. Im planning to pull my boat up from the Okanagan and make the run over to thrasher and spend a night over there. Im thinking of launching at McDonald beach and running across. It's my first time ever crossing but the weather looks good now so hopefully it stay the same.

Hey Jac, if your doing it this weekend tides and winds look great, a night in Silva Bay and early to the grounds
you'll probably be Tubbed out before we even get there,
good Luck see you on the water
Tim

I have will have the only orange boat there my boat name is obsession will you guys be on channel 88? Does anyone know what time the launch opens at macdonald beach? 4am or 5am

I have will have the only orange boat there my boat name is obsession will you guys be on channel 88? Does anyone know what time the launch opens at macdonald beach? 4am or 5am
seems some are on 88 and others on 88a (usa), sorry cant help you on the launch times

Back