2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Five fish on. Lost first. Gutted second and third. Just fishing for fun now. Next get double header. Lost first. Then other rods sings. Brought another high teens to boat but released for another day. All on white hootchies. 4 hits at 88' and one at 78'. Deep water 350' to 850'.

Water conditions good Great weather too

Tied up at silva bay for the night.
Worth the trip today. Fishing tomorrow Morning.

Eastpoint.
Thanks EP,
looking more like we'll see you in the AM
Tim

sounds like we are a go for sunday. Launching at Iona/Mcdonald by 930 latest....may have some wee ones on board so that may limit us to fishing the hump and not running across. Will throw a call out on 88 Finished Biz...lookin forward to hearing back and working the water together!

we will likely spit the rods between chovies and sum hoochies and run em hard!

tight lines...

Thrasher conditions 7am

Water good less than 1 foot wave. Wind about SE 5 knots. Lines down. Nothing yet.
Very fishable Georgia Straight looks fine right now
On VHF 88a.

Eastpoint

....and now?

Fished the Hump from 7 - 1230 today. Had one solid hit that popped off our left rigger at about 9am but only stayed stuck briefly, chovie in a glow head at 90 feet. Saw 2 other landed fish the whole time we were out there. Crabbing was easy limits on big crab.

Beaut day on the water....... nothin better than a nice sunny day with good company, light breeze and fish biting
Boxed a 14 at 8:30 and a 20 at noon at the hump 50 -60 ft Irish Creme spoon.

Thrasher Rock

Thrasher was good to me again this morning. Started about 6:30 am. A while before first hit. It got off. Then a little later fish on. Smallish legal to the boat. It was still early so I decided to let it grow. nothing for a while so I made some sandwhiches and was eating one. Same as yesterday, almost finished it then bang. Nice hit and fight. Landed a 17lber. Time was tight as I had to be back in Vancouver by noon. Reset the lines and 10 minutes later bang again, same rod. This one was a little thinner. Boxed it as I was into "overtime". Had my limit and was on my way back across.
First hit was on white hootchie at 88'. Next three hits were on green white splatter back hootchie at 108'.
Conditions were perfect.

Eastpoint
:cool:

Fished Thraser as well today, a little more off shore and up towards the grande
got there around 9:15 put the first anchovy down 30' was stacking on the second rod and noticed my reel peeling line reach up to tighten the drag
and realized it was off the clip and on its way, 10-15 mins later we boated a 22.8 lber. then it was GoGreen's turn and he boated a 14
we also missed one and boated and realeased another just under
Thrasher 23.jpg

Fished Thraser as well today, a little more off shore and up towards the grande
got there around 9:15 put the first anchovy down 30' was stacking on the second rod and noticed my reel peeling line reach up to tighten the drag
and realized it was off the clip and on its way, 10-15 mins later we boated a 22.8 lber. then it was GoGreen's turn and he boated a 14
we also missed one and boated and realeased another just under
View attachment 3740

Hey gidyup ,

Nice catch and was wonder if you could let me know a few things about your catch
How long are your leader lengths from the flasher to the hook ? and how long from the cable to the flasher ?
How deep was the second on you nabed ?
Whats a GOGREEN ?, a green hoochie ?

Tks Clint

Hey EP and Gidyup ,

Looks like the hoochies and spoons are beating out the meat , did you guys happen to drop a anchovie or two down ?

Clint

Hey EP and Gidyup ,

Looks like the hoochies and spoons are beating out the meat , did you guys happen to drop a anchovie or two down ?

Clint

I just will never believe the right size chovie with the correct roll will be beaten on any day anywhere.

I just will never believe the right size chovie with the correct roll will be beaten on any day anywhere.

I'm with ya on this one but how is it that the posts are showing otherwise, unless EP and Gidyup were not equiped with the little buggers ... only they know forsure so lets hope for a response LOL

Hey gidyup ,

Nice catch and was wonder if you could let me know a few things about your catch
How long are your leader lengths from the flasher to the hook ? and how long from the cable to the flasher ?
How deep was the second on you nabed ?
Whats a GOGREEN ?, a green hoochie ?

Tks Clint

Hey Clint,
hootchie leaders were 28"-40lb, anchovies were 6'-7'-30lb, first one was at 30' on an anchovie while I was stacking other rod on, and second fish on other side of boat was at 120-130 on splatterback hootch, I cant remember that was on GoGreens side
oh GoGreen is another member here aka Rich, third smaller one we released was at 120 too I think he was at also on a splatterback,
one we missed was at 127 on an anchovie
Tim

Hey Clint,
hootchie leaders were 28"-40lb, anchovies were 6'-7'-30lb, first one was at 30' on an anchovie while I was stacking other rod on, and second fish on other side of boat was at 120-130 on splatterback hootch, I cant remember that was on GoGreens side
oh GoGreen is another member here aka Rich, third smaller one we released was at 120 too I think he was at also on a splatterback,
one we missed was at 127 on an anchovie
Tim

Thanks Tim and my appology GoGreen (aka Rick)
I'm Planning to head to Thrasher tommorow (am) if the winds coop, if not hitting the hump !

I just did the Hump...should have gone to thrasher. Ran chovy on one side up and down, got my only hit and fish at 10 on the other side green splatterback hootchie 90ft. I'd bet on bait but i ended the day running hootchies

"Hey EP and Gidyup ,

Clint "

Sirvivor

I had a whole pack of perfectly brined anchovies. Still do. Didn't bother even trying one, no need. I usually do put at least one chovy on but word was hootchis were the ticket. It worked for me.
I did cut open one fishes gut. It was full of 6 - 7 herring. Go figure. But 2 years ago we got a nice springer right off the rock and it had a 7" white squid in its gut.

Wow great reports guys! Sounds like Thrasher was the place to be...we, like fishwhen worked the hump all day. 2 chovys 2 hoochies no action on either rod...

Prawning was good to us...9 lbs cleaned so that was something to smile about, prawned just off the little island in between bowen and pt atk. all jumbo spots, only a half dozen skrimps

Great looking fish Tim!

OH we are on a uniden VHF and we have channel 88, but couldn't find how to go to an 88A...made a call on the 88, it was whisper quiet all day, checked 68 and there was chatter, and the unit was confirmed operational with a radio check...would have love to hear about some of these reports 12 hours ago! haha

"Hey EP and Gidyup ,

Clint "

Sirvivor

I had a whole pack of perfectly brined anchovies. Still do. Didn't bother even trying one, no need. I usually do put at least one chovy on but word was hootchis were the ticket. It worked for me.
I did cut open one fishes gut. It was full of 6 - 7 herring. Go figure. But 2 years ago we got a nice springer right off the rock and it had a 7" white squid in its gut.

Wonder what your action would have been like with 6 inch chovies? We'll never know now. :)

I tried spoons, hoochies, anchovies, and herring. Nothing! Crab trap was empty, and prawn trap was raided. It was at that little island right between Bowen and Pt Atkinson.......

Blackmax
I was using really big chovies, as a matter of fact too the 14lber had probably the largest herring I have seen inside him
had to be 12"-14" at least, I thought Rich was gonna fillet the flipping thing :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back