2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Nice work boys!
Glade the wind layed down for you...how are those boxes working out Tim?
I gotta run to Victoria for the rest of the week so will have to catch up with you on the weekend.

Guy

Hey Guy,
boxes are crazy good I really like them I actually was able to recover 1 of my fish floor boxes as I was using 1 side for just flasher storage.
and it could tend to get a little messy, now they are all stowed nicely up front
works great, Thanks to Derby for bringing them over for me.
and yes whenever you want Guy let me know I have yours, but dont leave it too long or I may just have to put them to use too!!
Tim

OH we are on a uniden VHF and we have channel 88, but couldn't find how to go to an 88A...made a call on the 88, it was whisper quiet all day, checked 68 and there was chatter, and the unit was confirmed operational with a radio check...would have love to hear about some of these reports 12 hours ago! haha
Hey FB,
I heard you call and did answer back and heard eastpoint answer back as well but no response from your end, I thought maybe your were working gear or something
Tim

2 white spr at thrasher , 70 feet on at spec green hoochie in 800 ft water.
14 and 17 lbs. Lots of fish caught this am .
Flat calm water right now , great fishing here.
Mine both white springs .

Well that makes for a quick trip, way to go Clint!!

Nice work man! How long were your leaders, how far back from cannon ball and green flashers I assume?

cheers

Hey FB,
I heard you call and did answer back and heard eastpoint answer back as well but no response from your end, I thought maybe your were working gear or something
Tim

Really!? very strange...on board we both agreed that the message was getting out, but we were not receiving. When we did a radio check on 68 we did get a response but it was not very clear....sounds like the VHF is due for some maintenance...would have love to heard your responses and joined you guys! Next time!

MudRucker, I saw your boat in our area..there weren't to many traps in the water that we saw...there were a few commercial strings closer to bowen, but where we had dropped there was just another twin'd grady doing the same early in the day. We use large scotsmans for bouys with the hope they look like the commi traps and are left alone.

Did see a few small foam floats when we arrived to pull our traps @ 5pm, but other than those, all other in the area (aside from the commys) were gone. As usual when coming up to traps in vancouver, we thought ours were gone too, but a little further inland and we found them quickly. In vancouver its hard not to expect the worst when looking for your traps. Im sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope you were still able to claim your trap, or did they poach your equipment as well??

Was a VERY busy day on the water yesterday. When we got into the straight we counted approx 70 boats @ 11am. Never seen it like that, even during the sockeye fishery!

Went to hump and fished from 7:30- 10:30 and not a sniff, no seals around untill we got to QA . About a dozen boats there and I never saw a net out, maybe the bite would come on later but I had to go.On the bright side I never lost any gear fishing the new Scotties and they are amazing fast .

Went to hump and fished from 7:30- 10:30 and not a sniff, no seals around untill we got to QA . About a dozen boats there and I never saw a net out, maybe the bite would come on later but I had to go.On the bright side I never lost any gear fishing the new Scotties and they are amazing fast .

Max,
make sure your autostop beads are in place and all your buddies are well versed, they will snap a ball off in a heartbeat

Max,
make sure your autostop beads are in place and all your buddies are well versed, they will snap a ball off in a heartbeat

Thanks for the advice, when I was in the driveway yesterday I tested the green button and sucked the gear through causing the ball to drop on to the sidewalk.No damage other than a flat spot on the ball, main reason for going out today was to try it all out and it went well. I guess I'll be going to Thrasher once the water calms and I can get off work. ;)

Fished the hump saturday and today. Sat just the one hit and landed a 21 white on chovy at 75'. That was it but my biggest of south bowen.

Today, got out at 9 drop the crab traps and fishing shortly after. Must have been at 11 or so, no action so went to change out the glo/gr coyote. Pop it off and fish hits. Back the kicker right off and the other rod goes off!!! Crank down on that reel to set the hook and it starts running. Back to the rod in hand, almost in the net, looks at my ugly mug and turns and spits the hook.

Get to the other rod and it's just screaming. Seal on. Chase for a bit and end up with a nice half a head of white spring...

Fished for another 2 hours. Thought that was it for me, feeling alright with the action I had. 12 lb hits the chovy, good scrappy fish into the net.

So that's what I ended up with plus a few dungies. Hoping the wind holds off for tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice, when I was in the driveway yesterday I tested the green button and sucked the gear through causing the ball to drop on to the sidewalk.No damage other than a flat spot on the ball, main reason for going out today was to try it all out and it went well. I guess I'll be going to Thrasher once the water calms and I can get off work. ;)

I've read a few guys with the new highspeed riggers are doubling, even tripling up their stops at the top of your downrigger retrieve....3 stops one behind the other...gives it some meat to kick that stopper right away i guess.

I've read a few guys with the new highspeed riggers are doubling, even tripling up their stops at the top of your downrigger retrieve....3 stops one behind the other...gives it some meat to kick that stopper right away i guess.

I do that with braid still working on my transition....I hate change!... but that's another subject so i will leave that alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

so my question would be..did you run any bait? Sounds like you had a great day!! Congrats!!

also I found its best to set your stops up so it leaves the ball in the water a foot or 2 so it dont break the surface then hang there bouncing or clear the water and sail into the boat they come up real fast unless your running 20's which we tried last weekend in the heavy currents, and dont forget your stopper for the stacked clip, cause it will break the stainless right off too.

also I found its best to set your stops up so it leaves the ball in the water a foot or 2 so it dont break the surface then hang there bouncing or clear the water and sail into the boat they come up real fast unless your running 20's which we tried last weekend in the heavy currents, and dont forget your stopper for the stacked clip, cause it will break the stainless right off too.

For stacking I was thinking of going with the double ended clip unit. That way there are no worries as it just pops?

DSCF1063.jpg

Hit another two and let them go, I figure there were the same weight as the other but didnt want to keep em out of the water, same side , 70' with red flasher and green spec hoochie, travel 3.5 knots min. Pics to follow of the two I kept. Thrasher was calm and HOT , VERY HOT !

Clint

Last edited by a moderator:

X2 on that one. Then when you have a moment fine tune them in.

Hit another two and let them go, I figure there were the same weight as the other but didnt want to keep em out of the water, same side , 70' with red flasher and green spec hoochie, travel 3.5 knots min. Pics to follow of the two I kept. Thrasher was calm and HOT , VERY HOT !

Clint
wow cool! Red Original Hot Spot's for a long time were always my go to and then lately I fell into the being old school trap. Chartreause or nothing it seemed. Time to bring them back out.

Thanks

Back