2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

ya ,dont get pissed off and start smacking the tip of your rod on the water to get it off or you'll be buying a new tip for your rod . Trust me on that one !!!

lol I was doing that! Didnt even work. Good thing the rod is ok.

ya ,dont get pissed off and start smacking the tip of your rod on the water to get it off or you'll be buying a new tip for your rod . Trust me on that one !!!

try ripping the line off the water as you reel in. keep the tip low to the water and rip it up in the air and it takes some of it away. It doesn't get rid of it all but it helps to prevent it from balling up on the line. I find it hardest to get off the line once it clumps. Pain in the butt still though

Whale snot.. Wash down hose if it jams up yer tip or rip the tip through the water..

Last edited by a moderator:
Awful stuff. If it forms a hard ball then fold the line in a loop and using a cotton cloth, squeeze the ball and pull away at the same time. Do this a couple times and it all comes off on the cloth.

We put 5 in the boat at Grande(sp?) lost 2 more and released one under size on Tuesday all on hoochies from 70' down to 125'. Water was totaly clear tuesday lots of brown crap on the lines though . Well worth the $250 in fuel to get over there....I guess :) lol

Wow, I can do it for about about $160 from McDonald Beach and back, sure would help if certain people would pitch in for fuel. I've started going out on my own more now and getting to keep more fish as well as losing way less gear. :)

We lost 2 on the low slack between 9:30 and 10:30 AM at the Hump yesterday. Both hit a Flamin Hans at 60 and 68 feet on charteuse UV flasher. Had a couple other hits around the same time on our lower rods with bait that never stuck.

The first one we lost right at the boat and the second one a seal took. It was then very quiet for the rest of the day until 6 PM right in close to Cowan’s we had another good hit on the Flamin Hans at 68 feet. Saw the rod pop, but it never stuck. That was it for action.

Heard it was bit wet and rough out there today.

We lost 2 on the low slack between 9:30 and 10:30 AM at the Hump yesterday. Both hit a Flamin Hans at 60 and 68 feet on charteuse UV flasher. Had a couple other hits around the same time on our lower rods with bait that never stuck.

The first one we lost right at the boat and the second one a seal took. It was then very quiet for the rest of the day until 6 PM right in close to Cowan’s we had another good hit on the Flamin Hans at 68 feet. Saw the rod pop, but it never stuck. That was it for action.

Heard it was bit wet rough out there today.

I'm thinking Thrasher is the place to go, I see Sunday and Monday are supposed to be calm so I'm heading over.

I'm thinking Thrasher is the place to go, I see Sunday and Monday are supposed to be calm so I'm heading over.

I Agree Sunday! Will be second time out, the first was a First! Couple of issues to deal with... got squat but good getting started.

Fished the hump today and had one good hit that broke my main line with in the first hour and then nothing. Wife's top rod went off as she and the boy were sleeping in the cabin so I grabbed it as it hammered away, reeled and pulled up and felt a good head shake and a whole lot of nothing. Reel is getting newer line tomorrow. Fish hit at 40 ' on a chartreuse taser with herring and chartreuse flasher. Spent the rest of the day fighting the very strong current and yes the algae is think right now, check the gear often . Seals were savage today, had 2 follow me from passge to the hump and were with me most of the day, by the end it was a game of who would break and leave first , me or the seals. My friends lost one to a seal and hand bombed another 10 lber before the seal got it another boat out of my marina hit 3 north of thrasher also up around 40 ' . See you out Saturday on 88.

Hey Blackmax,

I will be out on Monday and might hit thrasher as well, so I will give you a holler on 88a when I got the lines down.

I think myself and another member from here are heading to Thrasher sunday too,
should be fun, weather looks good, sure seemed to be lots of logs and crap last weekend
keep an eye out and see ya'all over there
Tim

Fished the hump today and had one good hit that broke my main line with in the first hour and then nothing. Wife's top rod went off as she and the boy were sleeping in the cabin so I grabbed it as it hammered away, reeled and pulled up and felt a good head shake and a whole lot of nothing. Reel is getting newer line tomorrow. Fish hit at 40 ' on a chartreuse taser with herring and chartreuse flasher. Spent the rest of the day fighting the very strong current and yes the algae is think right now, check the gear often . Seals were savage today, had 2 follow me from passge to the hump and were with me most of the day, by the end it was a game of who would break and leave first , me or the seals. My friends lost one to a seal and hand bombed another 10 lber before the seal got it another boat out of my marina hit 3 north of thrasher also up around 40 ' . See you out Saturday on 88.

Hey dmurph
Good to hear your having some hits out there , hey how long are your leaders ?
I'm usually running 5 1/2 feet now with some luck but looking to dial in a bit and maybe my leaders are to long or short ??
Good luck out there and if you out on a Mon or Tues , I'm on 88a (those are my days off for the next 6 weeks then might change)

I think myself and another member from here are heading to Thrasher sunday too,
should be fun, weather looks good, sure seemed to be lots of logs and crap last weekend
keep an eye out and see ya'all over there
Tim

You got that right Tim !
Some one saw a piece of floating dock out there Monday , so gotta watch thats for sure !
Keep it safe !
Clint

Banana Closed
Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0379-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Area 29 - Chinook non-retention

As part of a suite of management measures required to reduce harvest impacts on
Fraser River chinook stocks of concern (including those stocks in the Spring 4-
2, Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 PST management units), restrictions continue to be
required in commercial, recreational and First Nation fisheries that impact on
these stocks.

Effective immediately until 23:59 hours Sunday July 15, 2012 in Subareas 29-6,
29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 the daily limit is zero (0) Chinook salmon.

Management measures to protect and conserve Fraser River Spring and Summer 5-2
Chinook stocks of concern may also be required after July 15th depending on the
in-season abundance of these stocks estimated from the Albion test fishery and
consistent with the management zones outlined in the Draft 2012 Southern Salmon
Integrated Fisheries Management Plan. An update on these management measures
will be announced in a subsequent fishery notice in mid June.

Sport Fishing Advisory Board representatives have been consulted on these
measures.

Variation Orders: 2012-182 and 2012-184.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

For more information contact your local fishery office or the lower Fraser
Recreational Fishery Manager, Brian Matts at 604-666-2096 or e-mail:
brian.matts@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0379
Sent May 3, 2012 at 13:57
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Hey Blackmax,

I will be out on Monday and might hit thrasher as well, so I will give you a holler on 88a when I got the lines down.

I've made the same mistake for a few years where I wait too long to get over to Thrasher. I keep thinking about saving gas by fishing the Hump but then miss out and I've never had much of a seal problem at Thrasher which is nice. Lets hope the wind predictions are correct.

I've made the same mistake for a few years where I wait too long to get over to Thrasher. I keep thinking about saving gas by fishing the Hump but then miss out and I've never had much of a seal problem at Thrasher which is nice. Lets hope the wind predictions are correct.

Ya , I am all for the winds staying down, last 2 times to the Hump I damn near ended up in the drink a few times . But funny I didnt see any seals , it was even to lumpy for them.
Ya some time a guy has to put a bit more gold in the tank and go for it .....

Hey Clint, I run 6' most of the time and I run rod length from release clip to the flasher and troll at 2.3 to 2.5 most of the time. Used to run way longer from clip to flasher until Gary and Terri from Bonnie told me to shorten it up, I then started catching salmon. I may head to the other side for Monday Tuesday as well. I would go this weekend but I entered the derby on Sunday. Only like to run across for over night trips and fish a few days to make it worth it.

Wow, I can do it for about about $160 from McDonald Beach and back, sure would help if certain people would pitch in for fuel. I've started going out on my own more now and getting to keep more fish as well as losing way less gear. :)

Well we did actually run from Rocky Point and that was return for $250 so its not as bad as it sounds :)

Back