What's for dinner tonight ?

So that leaves me with Kishimoto to try from your list. I've also got a boner to try Stem on Rumble too. I first met Tojo at the Drake on Powell in 1981. He said he was in the neighborhood for the Japanese markets at the time. He sat through of full rotation with us so you know it was more than the markets he'd come for. He had a little 20 or so seat hole in the wall on West Broadway and Ash before he hit the big time. His food now, Minami's and Miku's too, are meh to me. To much fussing around. Don't get me wrong, it's really good and really expensive, but I am more of a traditionalist. And you get that farmed King Salmon crap instead Sockeye at too many places now too.
You mainland guys have it good for Japanese restaurants. Victoria has only supermarket quality stuff for the most part. And you still get to pay the big price!
I should be asking YOU! That's an awesome history of dining you have there.

Toshi's at Main and 16th. By far my fave. Or Sushi by Yuji Kingsway and Nanaimoish.

Since I have moved to Victoria, no good Sushi....at all in comparison.
I used to go to Toshi's but got sick of that stupid line.

Some may remember the wood grill/smoker I built a while back. Been using it some, getting dialed in on it. Tonight I did a pork shoulder the pork is from a pig I bought from a neighbour a while back and had it butchered and wrapped. Good old small farm raised pork. Just a tad over done maybe 5 deg but it was still quite juicy. The flavour was just unreal beautiful bark on it seared the juices in.
served with some fresh dug garden potatoes, boiled then tossed with some slightly fried fresh garden onion, garlic and dill.

52311730855_6215099d77_c.jpg

52311598093_2691d03756_c.jpg

52311284686_805bb44d06_c.jpg

52311711259_195b4f6bf1_c.jpg

Last edited:
I go to Kishimoto on commercial drive because it's close. Fancier plating and higher quality. That place is higher priced but not even close to a expensive as the these next three...
Minami
Miku
Tojo's
All very expensive and more like fine dining. I'm a huge fan of Aburi and Miku kind of put it on the map. If you're a real sushi nut then these are a must try. Just expect to be a little shocked at the price.

Tetsu on Denman - amazing , most or all fish exept our local fish are flown in from Japan , have many dishes that are hard to find other places in Vancouver ( also was #47 on canadas best restaurants this year )

Sushi bar Maumi - on Bute street . Super small spot with just one sushi bar , all Japanese fish . They only do two - three ten person seatings a night , all Nigiri handed to you over the bar . No liquor license but they have been known to let people sneak in their own bottles of sake…. This is the closest thing you will get to a real Japanese sushi bar in Vancouver . It’s an experience

Tetsu on Denman - amazing , most or all fish exept our local fish are flown in from Japan , have many dishes that are hard to find other places in Vancouver ( also was #47 on canadas best restaurants this year )

Sushi bar Maumi - on Bute street . Super small spot with just one sushi bar , all Japanese fish . They only do two - three ten person seatings a night , all Nigiri handed to you over the bar . No liquor license but they have been known to let people sneak in their own bottles of sake…. This is the closest thing you will get to a real Japanese sushi bar in Vancouver . It’s an experience

I ate at Maumi 2 weeks ago, a really good traditional experience, we really enjoyed it. I typically won't eat at any sushi bar that serves farmed salmon with 1 exception if I'm looking for a well priced sashimi feed and that's tentatsu, just ask for the wild salmon (sockeye), they have such a high turnover their fish is always fresh from my experience, definitely not a high end place, lol. one of my fav's in N. Van is Hachi Hana, very good sashimi etc. the owner used to be a sushi chef at the old japanese restaurant in Horseshoe Bay, when I was chartering there in the 80's and 90's I took a few of the sushi chefs out sockeye fishing (easy limits) and had a blast, man I ate like a king in there for a long time ,lol.

I should be asking YOU! That's an awesome history of dining you have there.

My Dad's office was not far down Broadway from Tojos and they would go there for drinks after closing the office. Too would simply start serving and pouring, with ample for himself, and pull some random number out of the air which was usually nothing for the bill. Amazing and awful business practice all rolled into one. Dad acted for them in some matter and he was well treated so I was lucky to have been exposed to amazing sushi early on.

(From mid August) did some freestyling with fresh catch to make a Surf 'n' Surf. Side of spring topped with shrimp, cream cheese, lemon/dill mix, diced red peppers, green onions and jalapeño jack. Topping added halfway through the BBQ process.

20220816_201011.jpg

20220816_200124.jpg

Dessert was pie made from gathered apples and blackberries. A celebration of the hunting and gathering lifestyle, 21st century version.

A little feast before an evening at the PNE with the grandkids. Place was packed, beautiful evening as the grandkids loved the rides. Us not so much. $12 for a corn dog and what was really noticeable was the refuge thrown everywhere .
No staff for cleanup I would assume.

Attachments

• C271DBF4-279A-4C31-90DE-7881FE05D713.jpeg
    C271DBF4-279A-4C31-90DE-7881FE05D713.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 1A6ED996-8844-4E2C-84B0-95DA13994927.jpeg
    1A6ED996-8844-4E2C-84B0-95DA13994927.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 58
A little feast before an evening at the PNE with the grandkids. Place was packed, beautiful evening as the grandkids loved the rides. Us not so much. $12 for a corn dog and what was really noticeable was the refuge thrown everywhere .
No staff for cleanup I would assume.
Wow those are great looking crabs.

Crab stuffed mushrooms with a little lemon zest, lemon squeeze, cream cheese, not too much, green onions, chickalika, little fin and feather. Not too much. Coastal English cheddar shredded ontop. Basted in butter and ontop the grill top.20220903_195220.jpg20220903_195810.jpg

Those caps are about 2.5 inches in diameter

Last edited:
Back