What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Troubleshooting Navico LRA 1800 radar this week. After cleaning contacts and discovering loose battery wire to power switch (how did that happen?) got No Scanner message.

Called Navico Canada help line - I need a new radar, suggest a Halo 20 that is compatible with my HDS Carbon 9. Found one at PNT. Pulled off the old unit today and ran new cables & mounted new. Unit.

New Chartplotter for the boat!

Pulled the Garmin out of the console last night and got it mounted up top so I’d have radar this summer

Then today, I tried my hand at a multi-tool to chop (widen) the hole for the new 16” Furuno. ….never used a multi-tool before….couldn’t get the steering wheel off so I had do chop the hole with that thing in the way. Just by chance, I happened to see a Youtube vid this afternoon showing you could insert the blade at a 90 degree angle to the tool (I know most of you guys out there are thinking…..Duh!) ….but I’ve never used one and didn’t know the tricks of the trade

Anyway, I got her done and reasonably cleanly….it was a plug and play/plug and pray kind of deal but once I got all the cords attached and fired her up….yikes, everything worked, including all my transducers!IMG_2239.jpegIMG_2235.jpegIMG_2236.jpeg

New Chartplotter for the boat!

Pulled the Garmin out of the console last night and got it mounted up top so I’d have radar this summer

Then today, I tried my hand at a multi-tool to chop (widen) the hole for the new 16” Furuno. ….never used a multi-tool before….couldn’t get the steering wheel off so I had do chop the hole with that thing in the way. Just by chance, I happened to see a Youtube vid this afternoon showing you could insert the blade at a 90 degree angle to the tool (I know most of you guys out there are thinking…..Duh!) ….but I’ve never used one and didn’t know the tricks of the trade

Anyway, I got her done and reasonably cleanly….it was a plug and play/plug and pray kind of deal but once I got all the cords attached and fired her up….yikes, everything worked, including all my transducers!View attachment 106938View attachment 106936View attachment 106937
Looks good. Gonna have to wash those sheets or table cloths a few times lol.

Did you put the nut back on the spindle and give it a few whacks? That usually works for me to get the steering wheel off

I was thinking of turning those sheets into drop-cloths for painting now…might be a bit itchy to sleep on…ha ha
The nut securing the steering wheel was a head-scratcher—-I have a huge socket collection and none of them would grip that nut and it was too deep to get at it with a wrench….I left it in place ….huge PITA to work around with the multi-tool

I was thinking of turning those sheets into drop-cloths for painting now…might be a bit itchy to sleep on…ha ha
The nut securing the steering wheel was a head-scratcher—-I have a huge socket collection and none of them would grip that nut and it was too deep to get at it with a wrench….I left it in place ….huge PITA to work around with the multi-tool
Should have tried a sky hook. They always work.

Have the boat home for cleaning this week. Put the Bimini that came with on for the first time tonight. It’s useless for fishing, but my wife hates fishing so she may see the benefit of it. I told her the only way that that tarp is going on is if hers comes off.

Attachments

• EA108348-C057-42BB-8178-E5A64E418C20.jpeg
    EA108348-C057-42BB-8178-E5A64E418C20.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Looks awesome!
I need to get my interior gunnel pads redone, care to share who you used and your assessment of the finished product??
Nado upholstery in Detla. The guys name is Justin. I think he did a pretty good job. I have a curved gunnel pad that I think he could have done better on. Sort of overlapped the fabric. I'd say 8 out of 10. He was pretty cheap though, so all things considered not bad.

Back