What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

So to my complete surprise, this showed up at my dock tonight. Feels good to know the summer season is starting!

View attachment 106424

I almost pulled the plug on launching tonight—- I got half-way to the storage facility where my boat is parked and realized I’d forgotten my tow ball. Shiat…..I do a Youey and on the way back to my house I see a serious motorcycle accident—the bike was upside down on the driver…there were people starting to gather so I kept on driving….I could see traffic backing up in the lane I’d have to drive once I got the tow ball……don’t launch…don’t launch said the guy in the jester suit on my shoulder….but we have a big holiday coming up and I knew I had to bust a move so I’d have the ramp to myself with an incoming tide…I stuck a sock in the jester’s mouth and kept driving

I get the boat launched but funny thing….I can’t shake it off the trailer…yup…retaining straps still attached. Pull it back out, get the straps off, tie the bow line to the dock rail, shake the boat off, pull forward but the boat is following the trailer….yup, bow line hooked the bunk and the trailer tire ran over it…

Throughout all this I was thanking the Lord I was completely 100% alone for this self-inflicted gong show….but I got her done and the boat ran like a sewing machine back to my dock

Pulling the four 6 volt house batteries (258lbs!!!) and replacing with an 80 lb LiFePo so far seems to be a good move. I ran at 4,100 RPM this evening and fuel burn was 1.40-ish….I recall back in the days with all that weight in the stern I don’t think I would have done better then 1.25–1.30 at that RPM

Anyway, sure feels good to get her wet again!
Which battery did you go with? My cheap 25lb lifepo 100ah is performing really well with one 100w solar panel in overcast Portland, because my camper shore power is mysteriously not working after I replaced my charger.

Took my Lewmar windlass apart to re- grease the Gypsy and clutch … I found rust and gunk in there…. Glad I busted that move!
IMG_2202.jpegIMG_2201.jpeg

Last edited:
FYI the feeling of being a boatless imposter judging other people’s boats doesn’t go away.
Being a fishing impostor because you have $1,800 in parts you need to install on your trailer after your first trip of the year is worse, especially if the $1,700 EOH module which doesn’t seem to be working needs to be replaced all the same week as you open your municipal tax bill.

Back