Victoria Outdoor Show

I made a quick whirl wind trip down Island today. Stopped at the show and went inside briefly. Looked like a great show with lot's of boats and gear. Nice to see a show like this on the Island. I had never been before. Sorry I didn't stop and talk to anyone as my main purpose was to look at the big aluminum walkaround that was there. I ended up talking with the builder John Linton from Aegir Boats Ltd. for over 1.5 hours. He is a super guy and showed me pretty much every square inch of her. I took tons of pictures and measurements. Impressive vessel for sure.

I lost track of time and just made it to Trotac before closing. Wolf was right they have ton's of tuna tackle! I will be back down later to pick up some stuff. Brendon was awesome and helped me out with all my questions etc. Pretty cool store.

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked at the SVIAC booth for the afternoon. It was a good day but I also have a dry throat. Ended up losing my voice by the end. Thanks to all that stopped by. My wife and little girl came by for a few hours as well. Check out the Sharpie bib mod...
420270_10152578165580133_1810627010_n.jpg

Very nice meeting you yesterday Dave...keep up the great work.. :)

Might go in tomorrow and was wondering if Trotac was open Sunday?

NO there closed sundays
sorry but the specials go all week at trotac....

Wolf

Didn't make it down this year. I was told that Trotac was not allowed to participate due to pressures from Island Outfitters. Anyone know if this is true?

Sammy they were selling 2 bottles of Black Label Crown for $18 at the boat show with a SVIAC membership! LOL. I wish. ;)

I just served a plate of my famous BC smoked salmon...washed down with Colombian beer and rye shooters ...i think my wife´s Colombian family is hooked :eek: :)

Sounds like you are having a great time. You will be happy to know it blew 50 plus knots all day here today, so your not missing much.

Didn't make it down this year. I was told that Trotac was not allowed to participate due to pressures from Island Outfitters. Anyone know if this is true?

I heard rumblings of this as well and I think some touched on the subject in this thread. I have never been to Island Outfitters. I really liked Trotac for the whole 20 minutes I was in there lol. Cool store with helpful folks. I will go back there for sure. Reminded me of PNT in Parksville that I frequent a lot.

I agree sculpin, very similar to PNT and very good people as well.

Trotac helped me put together a little package of gear for a trip to Mexico, i think Paul was the guys name, great advice and service. Caught dorado, yf tuna and Sierra from a sailboat following his advice :cool:

Crown Royal Black Label rules,I just bought 2 bottles @ BOG duty free for $25 :p

That stuff is shack nasty.... TOOOO sweet.

And yes SD.... yes

I also heard from very reliable source this is true. That is unacceptable to deny paying customers from getting the best boat and fishing show a city can offer. Trotac should have been there.

I also heard that they weren't the only ones who pulled. Apparently capital iron pulled the plug too. I went to the show on the weekend saw acouple seminars one with tom davis as the speakers learned a few helpful tricks for fishing.

I was there. Only money spent was at the SVIAC booth.

No different then the other shows. Absolutely no deals on quality gear to be had but lots of nice boats to dream about. Stopped at tro TAC after great way to cap the day.

No deals on quality gear cause there is one outfitter selling and nobody else is allowed.

I looked over this thread and realize that I look like I may have something to gain from what I have said. Just for the record, I am not affiliated with anyone. I just think that a boat show should include anyone who wishes to hawk their wares and advertise their company. Let those who offer a good product or service prosper. What if Sherwood blackballed all the other dealerships from the show. Pretty lame boat show. Notice to Island Outfitters: I will not be going to the boat show until it is open to everyone. Nor will I be shopping at your store.

Notice to Island Outfitters: I will not be going to the boat show until it is open to everyone. Nor will I be shopping at your store.

IMHO I think this is a good message. I don't know all the logistics of the show but from what I have read and heard, it is total BS for other vendors to be pushed out of a show like this. If it is true then they just sunk to a new level. I thought it was a good show. The area is small but there is lot's of booths and people. I think it is good for the Island to have a show like this.

I have never shopped at Island Outfitters because of their high prices. Things like this just just drive me away even more. I have never stepped foot in the store and don't plan too in the future.

Apparently they sponsor a lot of events and good on them for doing so. Why be a bully at a trade convention? If we are missing something then someone should really post up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Island Outfitters signed an exclusivity agreement, as major sponsor, with Can West, who puts on the show, eight years ago. Trotac Marine has never been in the show. I shop at both stores and will continue do so. I heard that Can West ( not Island Outfiers) approached Trotac but then backed away after realizing that they could not sell at the show, but don't know if this is true or not. I do know that Trotac got some good advertising for free from this thread.

If what porcupine says is true then I can see Outfitters side of it. If they stepped up and became a major sponsor and the others passed at that time....they may be the reason the show even exists. As a business person I would want some kind of pay back for that level of support. I also agree that a show ideally would have a broad range of suppliers there, the more the better.

Back