Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading out tomorrow morning,

Is Oak bay a safer bet than constance right now?

I fished Oak bay on the weekend and ran into one fish in about 3 hrs. Pin popper but lost it. Seals were everywhere.

-JF

I echo your experience, there are some good fish around and they hit like a tank
but it's hard to keep them hooked.
Not sure about Constance as i haven't been out there for a while.

I echo your experience, there are some good fish around and they hit like a tank
but it's hard to keep them hooked.
Not sure about Constance as i haven't been out there for a while.

Yes i believe i saw you out there i'm in a 16 hourston with a teal canvas. Kind of new to the area. I figure i should try not to chase the fish even though i could see seals everywhere. As soon as you turn the boat and lose some tension the barbless hooks slide out.

-JF

2 lines of thinking on that, some believe in chasing the seal down and trying to get the fish back.
From my experience the seal usually wins.
I like to give them enough slack so they can chew the fish off and not lose any gear.

Nice fish-great persistence-glad to see you are trying LED's!!

Hey Spring Fever,

Yup, giving the LED's a good shot. I can't say how much they are contributing to the bite....but the hali's have been biting them for me this year and last year I went out wayyyyy to many times are came home skunked. I would reckon it is a combination of knowing better spots, better techniques and better gear....which I would include the LED's.

AND, for a salmon fishing report: Fished the Oak Bay Flats from 6-9 on holiday Monday morning. We decided to veer away from the winter spring bottom fishing and decided to see what the mass amounts of birds were feeding on a little shallower. LOTS of bait. We figured there must be some salmon feeding there too so dropped the rigger to 44' on one side and 60' on other. 5 minutes after setting....the 44' rod hit and we landed a nice football wild within the slot. Small for a wild, but sure was feisty. It measured 66cm, but would have weighed much more than the equivalent US hatch fish of winter. Columbian? We didn't weigh it, but I reckon it was close to 10 pounds. It took a green and white spoon. We had several other pin pops and stikes....but nothing else stuck. We were in 58' of water....

the lights worked for me last year when no one else was getting bites for hours, I decided to pop small glow sticks in the scent chambers and we got two small chickens very quickly on those lines. on a big boat with 4 or 5 lines for several hrs, then those were the lines that hit when we were all using same bait/hootchie/spreader set ups.

Fishing could be affected by full moon and big tides this weekend,
not that it will stop us from trying ;)

- No it won't lol.

I tried Oak bay wednesday morning nothing happening after a couple hours went over to constance. within 20 seconds of puting my first rod down hooked and Lost a nice one about a foot away from the net ( i was by myself). Nothing after that for 3 hrs.

Im going to give church rock/beecher bay a try saturday morning with chovies.

Good luck on the weekend!!

-JF

Hi, any one fish the front today? heading out in the morning. thinking of running to constance.

thanks,
Bruce

Lots of boats fishing Oak bay this weekend. I even saw the Blue Wolf (twice) , must be slow out west Roy ??;)
very spotty but managed a few in the 8-10 lb range, seal took one about 30' behind the boat.
It seems the size is down this year, hope some bigger fish move in as lots of bait showing.

LOL No scott my boat is in Vic has been since March. and yes was good for us this weekend really with the currents only place to fish .on a side note DOT and RCMP checked me yesterday to make sure I had everything in order (except didnt have my "C" number regestration paper??? but my "C" number is all over on all my documents?? was a good guy told me I know we have it but just get the paper.) told me any charter boats not compiling with program will be in trouble they even have new books for tickets FINALLY some enforcement good to see....

Lots of boats fishing Oak bay this weekend. I even saw the Blue Wolf (twice) , must be slow out west Roy ??;)
very spotty but managed a few in the 8-10 lb range, seal took one about 30' behind the boat.
It seems the size is down this year, hope some bigger fish move in as lots of bait showing.

yup lots of boats out there with the glassy waters yesterday. picked up a 10-12lb hatch on the bottom. belly packed with needlefish

Hey wolf did you see if the RCMP boat was checking sporties or just charter operators? Did he just check your charter paperwork etc. or we're they inspecting your catch, tackle etc too like DFO might?

I've got to get on doing my registration transfer I always forget about it until i see enforcement on or around the water. I haven't had the pleasure of an inspection yet but I'm sure my turn is coming.

I hope there are more targets on sport boats there is way too many unsafe boats out there. I have been checked once in three years. Sooke last year RCMP/with someone else not sure CCG asked me for my PCOC, ROC since had radio on board and all my safety gear. As well as my boat registration numbers....

You have to have them unfortunately. Do not invite the government to take your hard earned cash.... I agree they hardly ever check just like DFO its always when you are missing something they show up...

i agree safety is important but how bout monitoring their catch at the boat launch as they come in. I have seen some brutal scenes of blatant poaching disregard for regs at the cattle point boat launch.

usually guys in small boats or kayaks who feel that because they are not in a rigged up 20+ft boat that the rules dont apply to them. hard to watch them clean 15 undersize lings/rockfish without wanting to throw them in the water.

also, why do they not have postings at all boat launches and marinas stating the regs. at least these guys wouldnt have the excuse then that they didnt know

anyone out on the flats past few days? *just wink twice if you caught fish*

gonna try and get out this aft if the weather is dece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back