Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sammy,
Thank you for the info, knowing what is behind the patterns I'm seeing helps alot. Went out yesterday in the early AM to the OB flats, got one bite thats it. Saw one other boat hauling in a fish. If the weather holds will be out this afternoon and trying Constance.
Steve,
Launch out of Esquimalt, buy a membership, its 50$ you will get yearly launching + be in the derby, my prize last year was more than my membership. As well there are, for the most part, a great bunch of guys who will be helpfull to someone learning the area.

Cheers
Rich

Went out to Constance this afternoon and got blown off, so we went to O.B and picked up a nice 10lb clip male. We got him at about 4:30 on a flood, once again got him right on the bottem. Instead of posting a picture of the fish ( I know everyone likes a good fish shot ) Ill post a picture of it stomach contents. I know its diffrent, but hopefully helpfull. He was stuffed with needle fish, the picture is just a portion of what he had inside. As you can tell the feed is long and skinny.

Cheers
Richsalmon food.jpg

Murphy's Law

Headed out tonight for a bbq on the bow with a couple of folks. Tucked around off gordon head to say out of the wind. Figured we might pick up a ling so threw the halibut gear onto a salmon rod with a little Shimano 1000. We were chopping veggies and bbqing in about 70 feet of water when something picked up the rig. My wife insisted that I was not measuring right so the photo is her with the tape measure, but sadly it was a solid 15 cm over. Too bad because the gal on the rod was super excited and it was her first Hali...... also my first to the boat this year despite several days of drifting where they are supposed to live (still apprehensive about anchoring). Anyway, pretty exciting and it lives to swim another day.....

Also... this was not one of the recommended measuring methods from the thread on that subject!

Attachments

• measure.jpg
    measure.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 637
Damn! Nice hali! Too bad, i dont understand halibut quotas and regs, with an annual catch limit they should toss size restriction out.

Headed out tonight for a bbq on the bow with a couple of folks. Tucked around off gordon head to say out of the wind. Figured we might pick up a ling so threw the halibut gear onto a salmon rod with a little Shimano 1000. We were chopping veggies and bbqing in about 70 feet of water when something picked up the rig. My wife insisted that I was not measuring right so the photo is her with the tape measure, but sadly it was a solid 15 cm over. Too bad because the gal on the rod was super excited and it was her first Hali...... also my first to the boat this year despite several days of drifting where they are supposed to live (still apprehensive about anchoring). Anyway, pretty exciting and it lives to swim another day.....

Also... this was not one of the recommended measuring methods from the thread on that subject!

Nice Hali :). Hope you rinsed the tape Off....LOL...Looking Good Bugs

Fished Oak Bay Flats today. Caught two. lost the first which was a good size fish. landed the second which was a nice 8 lb hatchery. both fish caught in 150 feet of water.

i fished for awhile, followed the birds which were going crazy at times in the 80' of water column. sounded lots of bait and fish in the shallower water both at slack and during the tide but didnt hook up. caught them out deep where there was no fish or bait showing. go figure.

JL

Esquimalt anglers has updated their docks and moved the cleaning table. I like the change I think and with the extra piece of dock maybe they will have two or three cleaning stations for the summer? There is certainly room to add a few more if they can acquire them.

I guess those aluminum fish cleaning stations that were for sale here a couple months ago are gone? Would look good there it would be great to have more then one table just in case some fish ever show up.

I went out yesterday after work caught a 14 lb hali but no salmon despite finding a large amount of bait. Didn't really even mark any fish.

Here fishy fishy...

It's basically the same location just instead of 1 float beside the main dock there are two and the cleaning station instead of being on the end of the float is in the middle and faces the main docks.

Makes it more difficult to toss your carcus I guess they might end up with guts all over the dock if people are not carefull. The gut shoot off the table goes into a small gap between the main dock and the float its mounted to.

fished the flats for a few hrs last night... right on the bottom with a copcar and green/nickel spoon. had one hit that popped it off the rigger but that was it. try again this weekend

I was talking to Murray a couple weeks ago, he was advising them to maybe put them on the back side of the east dock with a cleaning table....also more room for boats to tie up!
Oh...I've been on here manny times, but never posted anything!
Cheers!

I was talking to Murray a couple weeks ago, he was advising them to maybe put them on the back side of the east dock with a cleaning table....also more room for boats to tie up!
Oh...I've been on here manny times, but never posted anything!
Cheers!

Love the handle seahare.
welcome to the forum .

My cousin and I fished the oak bay flats from 6-8 this evening. We searched all over from 70' -130' of water with one rod always at about 80' deep and the other always on bottom. We finally found this feisty 10-12lb red hatchery marked spring in 110' of water on the top rod with a glow needlefish hoochy. It was stuffed with needlefish and had eggs developing. We also tried a couple spoons and glow bucktail. We almost thought a seal had got ahold with how hard it took out line. It doesn't get any glassier out there.

Here he is with the catch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368682303.889162.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368682261.674175.jpg

Fished for hali's on the bank super earliy this am and was rewarded with two halis. A 20 and 30 lber. perfect. fished for salmon as well and picked up a 7 lber within five minutes of gettin the gear out then that was it.

JL

Gave Constance Bank a shot today after the OB flats failed to produce for us on Tuesday. Went out early in the AM as the tides were best at first light. Got into Three Salmon today , one lost to a seal, one landed and kept , one released. All fish were caught on the west side of the bank down deep. Every boat we talked to today had picked up something, with alot of the guys we talked to saying they were into some good size halis. It was a good day all around with the weather and fish co-operating. Will try to get out early in the AM again tomorrow.

Cheers
Rich

any fishing reports from Constance today?
thinking about trying for some hali tomorrow out there tides look good.

Fished oak bay this morning. Took 45 on the hook for 2 nice chickens. Then a quick hour of trolling saw a nice spring lost on a glow green spoon 77ft in 80ft of water. Very fishy morning out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back