Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick fish yesterday after work from 5 - 7 pm with my son. We were rewarded with a little hali - the first one my 10 year old cranked up by himself. I am actually glad that the fish wasn't any bigger, I think the creel guy measure it to 85 cm... I just couldn't resist yesterday seeing this gorgeous weather after that crappy weekend. Location was Constance.

Thanks for the report Chris and congrats to your little guy. Think im going to have to try the after work evening too even if tides arnt great. Nice to hear they produce. Disappointing not to get out because of weather on weekend. Of course mondays are always nice! grrr

Fished near Constance today from about 9 - 1pm on the pick. During this time the current was not too bad. Tried two different spots but only managed dogfish and ratfish. Beautiful day though, and flat calm!

went out to oak bay flats, got 2 springs one about 10 lbs one about 6. One was on a blue and chrome coyte the other was on a green glow coho killer. What a beautiful day to be on the water!

fished constance. 10- 2. caught 6 lb hatch and lost a pin popper. feed was needle fish in belly. size of 3" to 6". they had a distinct green haze to them. pretty slow all in all.

JL

Oak Bay was red hot today. The bite was on from at least 10 - 12. I saw others still catching when I left around 12. Kept my two springs 8 and 10 lbs, let a smaller go, lost one other decent sized and had a couple more bites that didn't stick for some reason. Really fun morning! Standard gear, metal/plastic, one rod was on the bottom and one higher up sometimes 30-40 off the bottom. Both rods had action. All round the 120 - 140 depth line. Was sloppy at the waterfront but Oak Bay nice and flat. That's probably why they call it the flats...lol

Hi Scott Have you caught any of those big ones lately. You best let my dad know cause he is itching to get down there again. See you soon

Caught a 15 pound spring on the OB Flats today. Got her right at current change 20ft off the bottem on a 3.5 green glow spoon. Fished for a few more hours with nothing else, quit after the orcas rolled through at about 3pm. Beautiful day on the water.

Cheers
Rich

Hit the water at first light today, caught a 11lb clip spring at the exact same location as the one yesterday ( 1/3 mile or so SE of trial island ) at current change as well. This one took a Coho killer ,cop car pattern. Although just the one fish again today it was well worth it, as the weather could not be beat.... It also helps that I have a great boat ; ) thanks again Don, hope to see you down here again sometime soon.

Cheers
Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job Rich We are planning a trip down this weekend it would be great to get together. Give me a call in Parksville tonight and will set up something Take care

Fished 9-12. Started at the Oak Bay flats (I think, never have been there before). I was near Brodie rock 120-130 deep trolling towards Discovery. Nothing of interest seen on sounder after an hour. Picked up and headed to Constance where I also struck out.

JL

Fished the OB flats this afternoon, got a big hit, and battled a good sized fish for a few minutes before losing him to a seal. Got him on a cop car pattern COHO killer at 130 ft, 45 mins before current change. Looks like there are some biger migratory fish staring to make their way toward the Fraser. As to the Post above Jacob the Oak Bay flats are a sandy/gravely area that is between Trial and Discovery islands. If you pick up the free fishing paper, I belive on the area report associated with Oak Bay has the OB flats area shaded in. I have heard that sandy bottem there supports a huge population of needle fish, If any fourm member knows more about this I would appreciate it. I have found that fishing with needle fish like lures near the bottem has worked best for me.

Cheers
Rich
PS Don check your PM's I have a new number.

ITS defiantly not to sandy in that area there are some nasty rocks be careful as you can lose cannon balls .I have

wolf

OakBay Flats.jpg
This map has a pretty accurate placment of the flats, although I would guess that its got a larger footprint by a 10 to 15% in every direction.
Wolf is right its not all Sand, there are some rocks. That being said It is one of the spots around victoria that I will bottem bounce my cannon balls.
Cheers
Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back