Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 7032

This map has a pretty accurate placment of the flats, although I would guess that its got a larger footprint by a 10 to 15% in every direction.
Wolf is right its not all Sand, there are some rocks. That being said It is one of the spots around victoria that I will bottem bounce my cannon balls.
Cheers
Rich

The only rock pile on the flats is a big one, Brody rock on the south west corner and it will eat cannon balls.
Other than that its a big sand/mud flat relatively unobstructed.

Great day on the water in my books. My folks are in town so I took my dad(lifelong fisherman of all types but had never caught a Hali) out for some halibut anchoring this morning out of Oak Bay and we were rewarded with a couple of nice chickens, calm currents and a slight breeze.

We gave a couple passes through the flats on the way in with no luck but didn't have the time left to give it a good effort.

Hali were 200' of water. Combo of pilchard(pacific sardine 8-9", $3.99 for about 15 at superstore.) and squid tentacles. Also, both were using pirates den LED light Hali rigs.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1367627135.815834.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1367627135.815834.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 573
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1367627588.576469.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1367627588.576469.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 572
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1367627648.113159.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1367627648.113159.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 571
Fished Constance this morning 7am thru 10 am lost 2 and picked up two hatch 8 and 10 lbs on purple haze flasher and purple haze squirt. Seals were a problem again today saw a few lost to them. Lost my new Scotty net trying to land the last one solo, net just slipped out of my hand. East side of Constance at 110 - 120 ft of water. Maybe someone will get lucky and hook up a nice net. Finished off with 4nice dunges to help take the sting out of it. Will be foaming my net for sure....

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 557
View attachment 7032
This map has a pretty accurate placment of the flats, although I would guess that its got a larger footprint by a 10 to 15% in every direction.
Wolf is right its not all Sand, there are some rocks. That being said It is one of the spots around victoria that I will bottem bounce my cannon balls.
Cheers
Rich

Thanks Rich

would appear i hadnt trolled far enough to make it to the flats. i started near trial and pretty much trolled to brodie.

Jordan
Jacobs Ladder

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to send a quick update from the Oak Bay flats on May 1st. I was out from 9:30am - 1pm. Landed two springs (hatchery) 8 & 12 lbs and lost two others. 3 bites on coho killers (green glo and purple haze) and 1 bite on a green glo squirt. I tried running a chovy but couldn't keep the small Ling's off. The fish were hitting right on bottom and up to 40 ft off the bottom. Beautiful day on the water. Saw a couple really healthy bait balls too. Also, I grew up and have done most of my fishing in the Alberni/ Barkley Sound area so I really appreciate all the local knowledge you all provide on this forum. Its a great way to share information and experiences. Cheers,
Jarett

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of boats out this weekend, many for halibut I'm sure given the great slow currents. Went out both days, Saturday 9-12 and Sunday 8-1, drifting in the Oak Bay flats area, but notta for us. How did everyone else make out? I wonder if the few who post their success are in the minority?

Lots of boats out this weekend, many for halibut I'm sure given the great slow currents. Went out both days, Saturday 9-12 and Sunday 8-1, drifting in the Oak Bay flats area, but notta for us. How did everyone else make out? I wonder if the few who post their success are in the minority?

anchored up at constance bank yesterday and my buddy the rook caught a nice 20lb hali at about 10:30,,that was it till we lrft at 1pm,,

Poked around the Esquimalt waterfront from 9:30 - 1 today. One smack on a half and half Coho Killer that didn't hang on and that was her for action. Lots of rigs parked at the launch and surrounding streets.

Nobody using the cleaning station when I came in.

We fished Friday and Sat. for Hali out of Pedder Bay. Friday,6hrs. on the pick at the 27 fathom reef,no bites. Sat.,5hrs.
on the pick at William Head,no bites. Stopped to ask about the fishing at the marina both days,and was told very few
halibut had been coming in. Still 2 nice days on the water,so can't complain.

I'm new to Halibut fishing and am just drifting (thanks for all the information on this site - very helpful) and I thought this weekend all the stars were aligned: long easy tides, good weather, and lots of time. Fished half a day Saturday around Parry Bay - nothing. Gave it a go this morning out of Pedder Bay and lost some gear early so my buddy suggested we try for salmon and we got one beautiful football of a wild off church rock right at the bottom on a green/glow hootchie that should still make it to the spawning grounds somewhere but that was it - not another bite. Only saw one halibut at Esquimalt anglers on Saturday. Gorgeous weather, so a pretty fine weekend either way.

Fished Constance yesterday and today. Landed 3 yesterday 14, 12 and 10 pounds. Today hit 7 fish, 10, 8 and 4 pounds, seals took 2 both about 8-9 pounds and lost 2. Lots of bait around. Best time both days from noon until 2-2:30

Had 7 guys out for 4 hours on 2 boats at Constance this afternoon. We hit 12 springs between us and landed 5 of them. 7-14 pounds. Another beauty day, wind started to pick up in the last hour.

Had 7 guys out for 4 hours on 2 boats at Constance this afternoon. We hit 12 springs between us and landed 5 of them. 7-14 pounds. Another beauty day, wind started to pick up in the last hour.

I fished until noon on this morning. The bite seemed to have started around 1030-1100 ish. The problem was the bite didn't happen in my boat. Adam's sport fishing was fishing similar tacks to me and saw him pull in three quick fish.

Profisher, did you find the main feed is still needlefish? I heard some herring are starting to show up. Are the fish still hitting on the bottom or are they in the suspended bait balls that were showing up??

Thanks

JL

Mostly needlefish, but did have one fish with both in him. I found the fish were up off the bottom Sat and Sun and close to the bottom on Monday. I run one line close to the bottom and search up and down with the other.

Was on the flats today as well, ( 19ft SeaSwirl with the dark blue canvas ) We only got one today, he hit on a coho killer, 15 ft off the bottom, in 150 ft of water. I hit the mark button on my GPS when ever I get a fish. After a while a pattern will start to show. This is my first year fishing the OB flats in May, its always been Constance for me, in may. My marks show we are picking up the fish in a pretty tight area, always in the bottom 25% of the water column. The spring we cleaned was FULL of needles.

Cheers
Rich

This is my first year fishing the OB flats in May, its always been Constance for me, in may. My marks show we are picking up the fish in a pretty tight area, always in the bottom 25% of the water column. The spring we cleaned was FULL of needles.
Rich, when you fish “The Flats” this time of year you’ll discover the pattern of fishing is related to the feed; Needlefish begin their courtship and subsequent spawn around the same time every year, hungry migrating Chinooks will be keying on them. Generally on the strong ebbs the fish will be pushed out to the 120 – 150’ contours; on the flood you can push into shallower waters closer to the Chain Islands.Trolling the bottom is usually the best method to catching more fish except when you’re fishing rocky areas. Some particular squirt patterns work better than others as well as a selection of the old stand - by spoons.
Be persistent, study the flats… the next few months could be productive…
Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys thinking about heading to constance on Saturday
Never fished there.
Where is best place to launch pedder bay or esq macaulay point?
Esq is alot easier to get to since I live in sannich.

Also is that the best place to troll for salmon in Victoria area right now?
Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back