Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually strong west wind might make Juan de Fuca too rough to fish, but not so on Haro.
In fact it is often calm on a west.:)

True.. Still kind of upset with the fact that the weather this weekend was not that nice and this morning on my drive to work it was beautiful and the water was like glass :( lol. Oh well gotta work to pay for this expensive hobby.

No better way to end a stressfull week then a quick fish. I was supposed to get out on Tuesday but woke up to an "Uh oh" from the Mrs.

What's wrong I ask? My water broke she says. Oh shoot but I already took my bait out babe!

Ahh well sometimes there are more important things to do then fish. So a whirlwind week passes and I now have two little girls instead of one. Thankfully everyone is healthy and happy. I was even lucky enough to sneak out sunday afternoon for a couple of hours. I felt a little guilty as mom and babe were not home yet but Big sister was with Nana and I had spent six days at the hospital so a little me time was in order.

It was just a quick fish but fairly productive. I had to wait an hour and a half for my first bite. The rod was hammered. The fish pumped and thrashed all the way up I thought it was a chicken for sure. Turned out to be a large shark. Well ok it was small for a shak, but huge for a dogfish. Damn...

About 20 minutes after the mutant dog my other rod went off for real. It was a Beauty 17 pounder that put up a great fight. As I got the fish to the boat I accidently put the reel in freespool. My weight dove and the front hook which was free burried into the fish just behind it's gillplate. This of course freaked it out and it took off and did not want to come back near the boat. Man what fun! I'm going to spook one at the boat again Halibut usually don't fight too much but if you give them a reason to be scared hang on even the small ones have power!

Roped Hali.jpg
(Quickly tried out my tail rope which was inspired by some shots from Wolfs guests. I think he ropes em through the mouth but this seemed cleaner.)

As I was by myself the one chicken was my limit and it was time to go. I started reeling in the other line and it was heavier then it should be. No fight just heavy. I think while I fought the fish my second rod stopped bouncing and ended up laying on the bottom. My glow weight is obviously attracting some stuff down there! LOL. There is no hook on that weight yet that doesn't stop it from catching. An unusual double header for sure.

Seastar.jpg
Seastar2.jpg
Seastar3.jpg

Great couple hours out on the water but deffinetly not the highlight of my week.

Attachments

• Em and Ali2.jpg
    Em and Ali2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 400
GDW Congrats on new additions to the family and the fridge. Better get out fishing again before they arrive home. Life's gonna get busier.

I was out to constance trolling bottom hoping that a hali or salmon would be waiting. No luck from 830-11, then moved to clover point area from then until around 130. Not one bite. I saw one bent rod and a lost fish from Last Chance charters, but that was it for action near my boat. Skunked for crabs too.

The fish counter guy at cattle point said only one guy had come back with a fish between 830 and 2pm. He was an old timer who jigs buzzbombs on the OB flats. He said the guy was out for 1.75hrs and released a big wild chinook, lost 2 and kept one hatch.

The one thing I noted was that the Dairiki/BWD current tables were off yesterday morning. The timing was weird/late by about 1.5hrs and then when e went to Clover the tide was flooding when it should have been ebbing.

I got my three year old out last summer she liked it but I felt a little irresponsible. We both wore life jackets starting in the parking lot and don't take them off until we are back on the pavement and of course only went out on nice days but I still felt that was a little young and if something happened out there what would we do?

Mom usually only found out about these expeditions after the fact when I tell her I want to fish and take Em she says call Nana you ain't taking her. lol. A couple more years and she will be my #1 partner I'm sure.

Ill never forget when she looked in the back of the boat and said "that fish has an owie." (the chicken hali is ours). Our only fish on two trips.

She remembers the fishing trip well though she fed the seagulls some pancakes (i think this was the highlight for her) and if somebody asks what seagulls eat now she will tell them pancakes. She also dropped her orange snack cup in the ocean and since we were on anchor couldn't get it back. She remembers that too. So even at 2 years old take a kid fishing the memories last a lifetime for both of you.

Attachments

• Em Hali.jpg
    Em Hali.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 825
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I took a buddy out from work this morning. Incredibly gorgeous morning on the water. We were on the water by 6 and hung off the hook from 630 until the buzzer went at 10 and we had to head to work. We were between Constance and Oak Bay and had a great spot picked out...as confirmed by the two other boats that showed up within a half hour of us(who seemed to know more of what they are doing than us), one of which was Island Outfitters I believe. Well, we only managed to hook up 2 dog fish and no hali....the outfitter had some slapping going on on the deck but the other boat hadn't got anything by the time we left.

The bait that didn't work for us today was pilchard and octopus. What are you guys catching them on?

So, a little bumbed about another skunking on the hali hunt, but how can you beat a morning like that?!

67565_10151424789992428_1490955047_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Craven. I usually use herring and have done well with it, but ran through my supply that I jigged up last year.

The skunking only makes me want to try harder.

a single herring is tough to beat - they don't always want a huge chunk of meat.

I got a few on pilchards last year so I wouldn't worry too much about your bait. They take almost anything you throw at them.

Great day on the water yesterday fishing Halibut off the Victoria waterfront with Wolf. A few weeks back when Roy offered up some special rate charters for members of the forum, myself and Bent-Tip talked it over and thought we'd take Roy up on his offer. ...and what a good idea that turned out to be. Who knew it could be so much fun to sit back and let somebody else do all the work except for the fun part. LOL

First off, a beauty start to the day with a ride to the fishing grounds.

IMG_1266_zps93b15aca.jpg

After a wee bit of a slow start to the action, the tides quickly changed. (pun intended). :p Here's my buddy Andy battling the first one... his second ever halibut.
IMG_1269_zps70cc6b6b.jpg

The action came fast after the first fish landed and limits were achieved in short order.

IMG_1275_zps0469ae5f.jpg

Looking good, halibut feast to follow after this day for sure.

IMG_1276_zpsf5e46568.jpg

And lastly, four happy campers after a fine morning on the water. Thanks Roy, that was good fun. Great fishing, some good laughs and riding poor Andy like a rented mule. LOL :cool:

IMG_1283_zps79169b2b.jpg

Good day on the water yesterday. Stayed out of the wind in Haro Straight and picked up a nice flatty -- lost a second. Watched the big squall build over the island and got back to the dock just as the winds and rain opened up. Fish and boat all cleaned as it started to pour buckets.

Picked up a great deal on an anchor/scotchman/retriever at the Ogden Point yard sale Saturday along with a pile of plugs and hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back