Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you laid a good beating on the one on the left ....:)
we sat on anchor for a long time before our only bite of the day
taped out at 54" , about 75 lbs.

Looks like you laid a good beating on the one on the left ....:)

tumblr_ldni49UOxN1qcnueyo1_500.jpg

Beauty Halis! Planning to get out tomorrow, was there any fog to deal with around Vic/Constance today?

what the hell are you guys keeping a ratfish for??

Good eye! never smoked a ratter before? yum!:p

Brought up the line and on the front single hook was the rat and the big guy was on the treble. Funny thing was no bait. Perhaps it came off in the struggle on the way up, but it was squid and pretty tough to get off the hook. Wondering if the hali was maybe going for the rat? :eek:There was nothing in the gut so it was hungry enough. Certainly was big enough. not out of the realm....

Beauty Halis! Planning to get out tomorrow, was there any fog to deal with around Vic/Constance today?

No fog. Had a couple of heavy hits on for a short time from likely the same Butt and also a little pingpong size thing that was so small we made jokes about getting the harpon before letting it go. Came home with nothing.

Was out yesterday. Had the bait cleaned off a couple of times but no fish in the boat. Did get to see a nice 92 lber at the cleaning table though. Beautiful fish.

Out today from 7am - 11:30. Misread the current charts and all but swamped the Scotsman off Peddar/Race first thing. Moved to Albert Head and grinded one 20ish pounder just before we decided to pull the lines. Bit of a slower day for us. Was awesome though when two big sea lions followed the Hali right to the boat!

trolled constance today. Had one nice spring probably around a dozen lbs. Seal grabbed it 40 ft off the boat. After that nothing.

out yesterday at the bank anchored up. watching the rods and one slowly starts to lean towards the water then come back up. check to make sure I wasn't hanging up on bottom. couple of minutes later the rod tip slowly goes down into the water and I figure that I got fish'n'chips. grunted the line up to the surface and had an octopuss laying beside the boat-4.5 - 5' long. thought about the bait for future trips and grilled octopuss, but didn't know how to get it into the boat and deal with it. end of story is while I was getting the gaff it inked and let go of the salmon belly and headed for Davey jones locker. any one know what to do the next time this happens. later on had one more good hit, but came in empty.

Octopus

Don't bring it near the boat. I saw one guy off the 27 last year with the octopus around the prop and another tentacle attached to his buddies head. It went on for 30 minutes. Let sit beneath the boat, don't **** it off and hope it lets go.

Went out from Esquimalt today. First time in almost a year. Had some motor problems for the first couple hours. 225 yam 4 stroke wouldnt drop the rpms below 2000. Took it into the little bay behind albert head and anchored to screw with the motor. Found the throttle linkage on the motor to be seizing up. Thank god for fluid film. After an eternity of screwing with it, got it somewhat loosened up and went fishing. Dropped the anchor just west of the big white circle and was finnaly fishing. Had nothing for the first hour but the second hour was quite a bit better. Got 3. Nothing big. Around 30 was the biggest and 20 the small guy. Loads of action for the last while though. I made a sort of herring/anchovie soup for some extra stink that i think was the ticket.

P.s. I need a new blender...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364183696461.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364183696461.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 489
Went out from Esquimalt today. First time in almost a year. Had some motor problems for the first couple hours. 225 yam 4 stroke wouldnt drop the rpms below 2000. Took it into the little bay behind albert head and anchored to screw with the motor. Found the throttle linkage on the motor to be seizing up. Thank god for fluid film. After an eternity of screwing with it, got it somewhat loosened up and went fishing. Dropped the anchor just west of the big white circle and was finnaly fishing. Had nothing for the first hour but the second hour was quite a bit better. Got 3. Nothing big. Around 30 was the biggest and 20 the small guy. Loads of action for the last while though. I made a sort of herring/anchovie soup for some extra stink that i think was the ticket.

P.s. I need a new blender...
:) Very Nice to See..

As for Octopus NET it then pop it into the boat flip it over get a sharp knife cut around the beak in a circle get it in about 4 to 5 inches kills em best thing then is to tie it up VERY tight around the base of mantle and hang it over board its gonna squirm for a while then its simple cleaning out the mantle (head) of the little bit thats in there,
If you try and gaff them all they do is stick to the side of the boat and you wont win that tug of war.

good luck Wolf

Anyone been salmon fishing off the waterfront lately ?
Strong currents this weekend might mean limited halibut effort.

Trolled the flats today.....no sign of bait...no hits. Tried drifting with mudrackers...one quick tap but no hookup....nice weather though...

There is a commercial fishboat that has been fishing around and just off the tip of Trial island and its kelp beds every morning for the last week or so. I thought that this was a resricted area for commercial boats :confused:, does anyone know what they might be doing there? The water is pretty shallow where they are making lazy circles??? Could they be seining for baitfish??
Sij

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back