SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two days at Otter produced nada for us. The blooper was hooking onto a partially submerged float for a commercial crab trap off Muir. What a mess and with the current running hard ended up circling it half dozen times trying to keep the boat on top of it. Good news, got all my gear back plus a bonus Betsy flasher and teaser that someone else must have snagged earlier.

Good to see your getting some good use out of the boat RF guess its still fishing good,must still have some good karma left on it LOL LOL.
That boat got me my biggest springs ever in sooke so just maybe...... you will get that 40 plus.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Smiley
When I am hali fishing I use the line and clips from my downrigger ball retreivers as a safety to my rods.
Never know when a rod holder will break on a fish. (right tailout?;))

Tips

quote:Originally posted by kayladog

Two days at Otter produced nada for us. The blooper was hooking onto a partially submerged float for a commercial crab trap off Muir. What a mess and with the current running hard ended up circling it half dozen times trying to keep the boat on top of it. Good news, got all my gear back plus a bonus Betsy flasher and teaser that someone else must have snagged earlier.

Hey kalladog-enjoy the flasher it was a good one. I got both my riggers caught on that friggin trap. Thought I was going to lose my riggers. With both on it and the tide rippin it was hard to turn into the trap to try and get free...Lost a 12 lb ball got the other one back.. joys of fishing

quote:Originally posted by dehood

quote:Originally posted by kayladog

Hey kalladog-enjoy the flasher it was a good one. I got both my riggers caught on that friggin trap. Thought I was going to lose my riggers. With both on it and the tide rippin it was hard to turn into the trap to try and get free...Lost a 12 lb ball got the other one back.. joys of fishing

YUP ! we got snagged up on that trap as well about a month ago..
One rigger hit it but did not get caught, the other rigger got caught, lost every thing, ball,100ft. of cable, flasher. That trap line must look like a Christmas tree of gear hanging off of it..
We need to post a way point here for the hazard ! That snag will be down there for years... Found a similar snag in Oak bay last year by Brotchie, we posted a chart and point where the snag was on the forum here.. we should do the same for this snag.. Next time I am at the boat I will try to see our old track lines and get a way point for it and post it here. If any one of you have the way point for the snag, post it or message it to me and I can plot it on the chart and post a picture of the chart here with the hazard on it..

If you get a way point I can get one of the Sooke crabbers to try and grapple hook it up.

That would be great to get that snag out.
We hit the snag between Otter and Muir, we were trolling down from Muir to Otter when we got hung up on it.. Just looking at the chart here at home, I generally know where it was, best I get the way point for it next time I am at the boat.. though we never had a chance to turn and circle back on the snag, it happened so fast. Track line on the gps won't show much where we snagged it really...
kayladog.. you said you circled back on it.. your track lines will show exactly where you circled on it.. maybe you will have a more accurate way point??

moto_0158.jpg
off o'brian

rob

Yup if its the same one as last year. Its a green and white float about 6 -10 feet down. I lost a besty flashe, teaser head and 12lb ball last year. Its in about 96 Feet of water but closer to Otter than muir. I did mark it on my GPS but I am not at the boat for a bit. Sorry. Its a *****.

cby

[Good to see your getting some good use out of the boat RF guess its still fishing good,must still have some good karma left on it LOL LOL.
That boat got me my biggest springs ever in sooke so just maybe...... you will get that 40 plus.
Good luck Wolf

Thanks Wolf. I definitely think you left some karma on the boat. Did you charge me extra for that? It is definitely a very fishy boat and set up great for fishing, especially the transom mounted 2nd hydraulic steering station. I have been joking with people that it’s not the boat, it’s the ugly old magic yellow hat you left on it. I think some of them may be taking me seriously and I may have to watch no one walks off with “the hat”. Going out tomorrow to see if I can dig up a couple of 20lbers plus for the old guy who’s boat I use to fish on as he could not fish much this year. They have to be red though as his wife wants them made into lox and lately most of the 20 plus seem to be whites. I hope you are wrong about it being just about over for the year for big Chinook, but unfortunately you are usually right about things like that.

quote:Originally posted by cby

Yup if its the same one as last year. Its a green and white float about 6 -10 feet down. I lost a besty flashe, teaser head and 12lb ball last year. Its in about 96 Feet of water but closer to Otter than muir. I did mark it on my GPS but I am not at the boat for a bit. Sorry. Its a *****.

cby

Yup that's the one! Yes we were closer to Otter than Muir also when we hit it. That's awesome you got it on your gps, post it here when you get it..

By the way NIce fish !

You know the old saying about catching the big one being the most fun you can have without taking your pants down? Some people obviously disagree! :D
T2

broken rod holder storey took a father & son out go in the cabin to grab something come out to see the two with an amazed look on their faces looking at my sheared off & my new $600 set up gone no the kid (Keenan)has the precence of mind to reach up & snag the rod with a clutch grab sure glad he was a great ball player[8)]

The float I hooked onto was orange (closer to otter), so I think we're talkin about two different snags. It was bobbing just below the surface with the tide running. If the tide was slack I'm sure it would be more visible. There's bound to be a whole bunch of squiggly track lines at this spot on my gps, I'll have a look.

Yep still a few fish around got 2 today nothing real big a 21 and a a 12 feeder white... only kept him cause he was a bleeder seems to be a lot more feeders showing up already good sign ...

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Any reports on how the fishing is in the Sooke area, have a friend coming out from outta town and just wanna get him into some fish either coho or even feeder springs? anyone having any success lately? any info will help I know it isn;t the best time of year! thanx

It is getting harder to find them. We fished hard today to get one 20 lb white Chinook and an 8 lb clipped Coho. Also released a couple of feeder Springs. Interestingly there were two large round wounds about an inch across in the Coho a couple of inches back of the head, like something with very large canines had bit it head first but it then got away. We have seen a fair number of sea lions out there – makes you wonder.
Trophy 2005 -- I would suggest you fish the usual locations and depths in the morning and then go out and fish deep in 180 to 240 feet of water for the midday. There are still a few Sockeye down there with the Feeders and they will hit on bait.

Coho should also start coming in and a few straglers of springs as well. ive gotten some very nice spring in sept in the past most of the real big ones so you just never know.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back