SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

JuanDeOne
Where abouts were you finding the sox thick?
They were slower east of Secretary from what I saw yesterday.

Thanks,
Tips

We marked a nice school full of **** and vinegar a little west of Secretary in about 540'.

Few passes and we were done (16 or so hookups).

Interesting side note though is only had action trolling west with the ebb but against the wind.

May have exaggerated a little overall but we certainly found them in short order.

All gear from 55-65' was working with multiple hookups.

Fingers crossed for one more go on Thursday before heady to Renny for the weekend in search of big "whites."

West is best for sox. (so I've been told)
My uncle is a former Commercial Troller. When we were fishing sox in Reny a couple of weeks ago he said to go where you found them last and troll west. Back in commercial days they would do this and then pick everthing up, run back to the start and do it again.
Makes no sence to me because he said it did not matter what the tide was doing but seemed to work that day as we could not keep them off.
Also the 3 S's to sox fishing. Slow (speed), straight (tack) and small (gear)
Last week it did not matter what you did they were everywhere in every direction. This weekend small schools as everyone has stated. Less biters also I think.

Thanks for the info.
I'll giver again tomorrow.

Tips

Simply putt you just have to find them..
As soon as we see them come on the sounder the rods would go..
we got most of our Socs trolling fast.. slow or fast it did not matter, I rather troll faster and cover more ground and bump into schools.. trolling with the tide you travel faster and cover more ground.. troll against the current your not moving very fast and not covering much ground.. zig zag troll quick cover as much water as you can till you bump into them.. once you do try getting back onto them.. if you can'nt find it again.. get moving and find a new school.. Sat. we picked up the gear and motored 3 times to different areas to find them.. we finished off of Secretary in about 400 feet of water and found several schools picked up 5 more before we had to head in..

Yes have been out resecnetly as well. I noticed that I picked more fish up going rather quickly. With all my gear up I scoot around on half plane looking for signs of fish. Once I bump into a school it's mayhem. Once that subsides it's gear up again and I'm on the move once again looking for signs until I drop the gear. Each time I have been out it's been fast and furious for the duration of my day.

I am running up 6 rods as well just to note.

Good luck

Sox on fire yesterday. Had our 8 limit within 1.5 hours. One 17# spring. All off of the head. Sox on white squirt and spring on chovy.

quote:Originally posted by calmsea

Sox on fire yesterday. Had our 8 limit within 1.5 hours. One 17# spring. All off of the head. Sox on white squirt and spring on chovy.

Guessing you may have been overlimit ??
4 salmon per day per person ;)

Got a 20lb white spring on the sockeye gear out at 450ft yesterday. One mad whitey. Ripped out a ton of line and could not be slowed down. If we had not boated it I would have been telling the story of the 40lber that got away. Super scrappy fish!

Tips

Got a 20lb white spring on the sockeye gear out at 450ft yesterday. One mad whitey. Ripped out a ton of line and could not be slowed down. If we had not boated it I would have been telling the story of the 40lber that got away. Super scrappy fish!

Tips

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

Tips

NICE!

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

I spoke with a creel surevey person earlier this week who said that some people thought that you could keep 4 sockeyes per angler and that springs were a seprate limit. I guess thay did not understand that it was an aggregate limit.

Sorry, should have said that we had 8 salmon altogether within 1.5 hours that is 7 sox and 1 spring. Don't worry I know the game.

Sockeye fishing was very, very slow yesterday. Rain must have got them moving. Spring fishing was slow as well.

Quiet out front other than the occasional Sockeye, but there seems to be a lot less of them. I don’t think the Killer Whales helped on Wed.

We were out at Otter this am, 7-11 for 1 10 lb coho and a sockeye. Very few springs from what I saw.
T2

Im thinkin and hoping that Monday/Tuesday are going to be good. Judging by the weather.
I think it might be good to look down deep??
.....just my .25

We were out fishing Thursday at Otter/Muir very slow, two very very small springs and one hatchery coho. Out Yesterday again tried Otter and did not see one spring landed all morning, released a 12lb. wild Coho. Very discouraging..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back