SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished today at the Trap Shack. One sping and one sockeye. The spring was 44lbs:D:D. Saw very few fish caught. Couldn't find any sockeye out deep. Picked ours up by chance at the Trap as well.

Dave

Great going Adrianna3. I am still looking for my first 40 plus.
The slow Spring fishing out front appears to be improving. Picked up two 22 lb Chinook both of which were white and one of which was clipped. We also got a 14 lb Chinook and lost another good fish and had some heavy strikes. The Killer though was an 11lb hatchery Coho which I released because it was only half clipped, (a quarter inch wide rectangle sticking up about three quarters of an inch). I never know what to do with those and what kind of reception you would get from a DFO enforcement guy who was in a bad mood. On the plus side, it was in good shape when released, so not a floater. This happened to me last year also. Has anyone ever got a ruling on partially clipped Salmon from the DFO guys?

Right on Rockfish! I think they would give you the benefits of doubt. Anyone who has done the clipping knows that it's not always possible to remove 100% of the fin.

Yeah, that was a huge slab. It was a white spring. The guy I took out today had never fished springs before. I told him he should quit now, as he just got the fish of a lifetime. That fish ran like a bat out of hell, almost spooling us. We got it at 7:30am, 50ft, green haze flasher and teaser head.

And yes, I wish we tickets in the Alberni derby.

Dave

quote:Originally posted by adrianna3

Yeah, that was a huge slab. It was a white spring. The guy I took out today had never fished springs before. I told him he should quit now, as he just got the fish of a lifetime. That fish ran like a bat out of hell, almost spooling us. We got it at 7:30am, 50ft, green haze flasher and teaser head.

And yes, I wish we tickets in the Alberni derby.

Dave

well, I suppose $7000 in the PA festival would have been nice, but I probably wouldn't have minded the $100k that fish would have won in the salmon classic [:p]

Congrats Adrianna.I think I saw you land it- were you in the aluminum? If so I got a 17 in pretty much the exact same spot about a half hour after you got yours.Picked up a 29 on Friday in the same area.Both red and both fairly shallow.Gonna see if theres any socks still around today.

There are a lot of feeder Chinooks out there from 4 to 16 lbs. Think of it as winter spring fishing. We picked up a 24, 20, 16 and 12 lber today and had to come in as there were only two of us. Also got one sockeye deep on anchovy and had a nice coho spit the hook when it was a foot or so out of the water doing aerials. Got the lines in the water around 9:00 am and caught the tail end of the morning bite inshore and then went offshore and deep. Anchovies were good today but herring also worked for us yesterday.

I was in the blue Malibu.Dropped the gear at 730 this morning in about 350 feet. Lost 3 sockeye? then landed a 25 lb Spring in about 30 minutes. Then nothing till I left at 1200.Seemed pretty slow out there..didnt see another fish caught.Pink squirt at 55 feet.First white Spring for me in a while.

Took the wife out for the first time today off otter in the rain after my night shift at work. The water was great, but the rain was cold... thank god for the hard top... kids were crabby from the start. Started at 10:30... 10:45 BANG! My wife had her first fish on... long story short, she looked like a pro (after the first knuckle bang) and got a 31.5 white in the boat. What a fight! Sad to say that i might have to start taking her with me a bit more... ;) Kids were done at 11:30 so we went home... All in all a great trip i'd say....

Red Hot was ice cold today. :( Two small springs early morning, one more hit that didn't stick and that was it besides LOTS OF WATER.

Wolf, did you see that thing jump twice at Otter around 1 PM today? It was about 150' in front of my boat and you turned for it right away. I saw it jump twice but am still unsure what I saw there. Either it was a monstrous spring already a bit dark coloured or the greyest porpoise I have ever seen. [?]

Congrats, Pac! I guess you can even do it without the smoke plume typically arising from you boat :D!

yes I saw it it was a weird colored porpose following that one boat all around it a newer grady, good bite from first light then poof gone very weird, but ill have to say on here that, thats about it for the big springs im thinking they are done, its really going to taper off now especially with all this rain coming.
Was a great summer all in all especially with the soxs we were able to keep and the amount of springs that did come in later.

Thanks to all who introduced themselves and said "HI" on the water. nice to meet you all. still looking for my 2 bits fish fly LOL LOL

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

It was one of those head banger days where nothing seems to go right but it worked out OK in the end. Fished out of the harbour both in close and out around the 200 foot depth. We got 4 feeder Chinook from 4 to 7 pounds and released them and also one nice unclipped Coho around 7 or 8 lbs and released it. We also lost two good fish after the initial run or two and some head shaking, - so no fish in the boat. Then I turn around to see my fishing partner for the day letting the downrigger down fast but not noticing that the drag is tight and the reel spool is binding on the transom rod holder and can’t turn. In a second the rod bends right over, the rod guard snaps of the rod holder and the whole rod and reel is deep sixed off the back of the boat. Luckily it is only the Shimano 4000, and not the Islanders and Loomis Rods which for some instinctual reason I had decided to leave safely stored in the rocket launchers today. So very carefully I bring up the rigger and the line is still in the release clip and we start hand lining it in and actually manage to retrieve the Rod and Reel. I guess moving to 40lb main line from 30 was a good Idea. In the late afternoon another bit comes on and my partner is playing a slab when he manages to get some wide line loops on the reel and a loop slips over the reel lip into the housing. So now we have to take the reel apart, get the line out of it and back on the spool while playing the now wide awake32lb white Chinook. At one point I am reaching for the drag nob which is bouncing around on the wet deck while using three fingers to keep the spool held against the reel housing so it can spin as this monster has decided to take yet another run. So I manage to get the drag knob screwed back on the reel and the drag set while he plays the fish, then bring up all the gear, get the riggers in, keep the boat from not running into anybody and net the fish. Like I said it worked out OK in the end. So tell me, does this kind of stuff ever happen to anybody else or are you just smart enough not to talk about it.

quote:So tell me, does this kind of stuff ever happen to anybody else or are you just smart enough not to talk about it.
Everybody, Rocky! It happens to everybody! A week ago I was out with my fishing partner and a fish jumps on but doesn't pop the pin. He grabs the rod and heaves on it, doesn't come off. So he REALLY heaves on it, instead of bringing it up on the rigger, and the line breaks. He's mad at himself and tosses the rod in the corner of the boat. I tell him all might not be lost, maybe the fish is still there on the broken line. He brings it up on the rigger and there is the flasher, hootchie and a nice sockeye which he hand lines in. I tell him we buy these reels for a reason. He didn't think it was as funny as I did.
T2

good on ya for sticking with it out there RF...we wondered the story about the reel and how it happened. Ouch! As for silly things happening, personally nothing big like that, my extents seen or done is losing the stacked release clip because of no stopper as discussed on another thread, losing something important (ie flasher) because you let go of the wrong hand (and however chris73 did it yesterday!), and my most painful day, not once, but twice up in Campbell River getting my cannonballs wrapped around my motor some 180' down and having to lean over in a 12' aluminum in the chop trying to unwind with weight still attached...ouch - learned my lesson by the 2nd time and just ran one rod on the side the current was pushing too.

I think we all get those days also but that's a pretty impressive day - usually they don't end with a tyee though for the guilty parties.

quote:Originally posted by wolf

yes I saw it it was a weird colored porpose following that one boat all around it a newer grady, good bite from first light then poof gone very weird, but ill have to say on here that, thats about it for the big springs im thinking they are done, its really going to taper off now especially with all this rain coming.
Was a great summer all in all especially with the soxs we were able to keep and the amount of springs that did come in later.

Thanks to all who introduced themselves and said "HI" on the water. nice to meet you all. still looking for my 2 bits fish fly LOL LOL

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I would have chucked one at ya If I had one..... dont think the sockeyes make up for the 2 bits tho:D:D
As for the porpose.... I had one last night on the old school tach off possesion that wouldnt leave the bow of the Rienellasarus for about 2 hours...it was pretty cool. Maybe he liked the orange suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back