SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a great day on the water yesterday.Twin 27's and released one about 12.Got one big one at about 1030 and could only get one rod back down before his brother hit.
While playing one it started to run towards a steadily approaching boat so I tried to wave them off.They waved back and were like whateverbuddy.Suddenly it jumped clear out of the water about 3 feet away from their downrigger.That got things moving:D.Thanks guys for pulling your riggers.

Was out yesterday and we managed to grab about a 26 pound white spring, another small spring and a hatchery coho. We also encountered the most amazing whale show near race. approximatly 40+ whales sky hopping and slapping the water with the tails. Never seen anything like that in my life

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work"

So here’s the thing. I enjoy reading these posts about everyone else’s success. Sometimes informative, but it is depressing at the same time. The reason is as follows. I am an inexperienced ocean salmon fisherman, because until this June I have never owned a boat. Done my share of river and lake fishing, but other than renting a boat a couple of times from Pedder last year (and many years ago at Campbell River) I am a beginner on the ocean. So now I have been out 6 times in my boat. In those past rental trips I have caught Coho, Pinks, and in recent weeks Sockeye. But I have never caught a single Chinook!!. So for the six trips this summer in my boat I figure I have trolled for over 40 hours at a variety of depths with various lures and teaser heads and I have not had a single Chinook or Coho!! Sockeye yes, but nothing else. Don’t know what you experts do that I am not, but I hope one day to figure out the secret. Meanwhile the possible combinations of lure type, colours, trolling speed, tide, depth and location are so enormous I think I have a formidable challenge. Just keep plugging away I suppose, and try not to get too discouraged.

Go with your friend who fishes for chinooks regularly..(highly recommended), will show you the ropes to catch a chinook salmon or coho.

Pedder Bay? good place for jiggin' for chinooks...stingers, zingers, buzz bombs, macdeeps.

quote:Originally posted by Englishman

So here’s the thing. I enjoy reading these posts about everyone else’s success. Sometimes informative, but it is depressing at the same time. The reason is as follows. I am an inexperienced ocean salmon fisherman, because until this June I have never owned a boat. Done my share of river and lake fishing, but other than renting a boat a couple of times from Pedder last year (and many years ago at Campbell River) I am a beginner on the ocean. So now I have been out 6 times in my boat. In those past rental trips I have caught Coho, Pinks, and in recent weeks Sockeye. But I have never caught a single Chinook!!. So for the six trips this summer in my boat I figure I have trolled for over 40 hours at a variety of depths with various lures and teaser heads and I have not had a single Chinook or Coho!! Sockeye yes, but nothing else. Don’t know what you experts do that I am not, but I hope one day to figure out the secret. Meanwhile the possible combinations of lure type, colours, trolling speed, tide, depth and location are so enormous I think I have a formidable challenge. Just keep plugging away I suppose, and try not to get too discouraged.

Englishman....are you plugging your nose with your left hand while trolling and tapping your right foot....all the while singing "God Save the Salmon"?? That is one of the kickers right there...ha ha.;)

Welcome to the forum....and I am just saying that in a VERY sarcastic manner.

A LOT of the guys who post in this thread are guides who have YEARS upon YEARS of experience out off the south island. Don't get discouraged.....it's all part of the learning process. I live in Vancouver and bailed out of Manitoba about 18 years ago....I played A LOT of "hmmmm...let's try this" and also learned a TON from these guys on here. I am not to the level these guys are who are on the water daily but I like to think I am have got fairly good at the "catching"; not to mention the "fishing" part.

As for springs....they can be finicky....you can go up and down at huge depths....vary your speed based on what kind of 'lure/bait' you are fishing....and the length of your leader behind a flasher can also make a notable difference.

Why don't you start a thread on your own....kind of a "newbie how to" type thread in the salt forum. There is TONS of info people can get you but you are already WELL ahead of the game in that you have a boat and have caught some salmon.

Over on another BC forum myself and a few others have thrown in a ton of info for "newbs" to salt fishing period...be it running boats in the salt to "what the frick do I fish with and how" tips.

It may be a good thread to start up. One post from someone replying to you is not gonna sum it all up but it may be a well worthwhile thread to get people pointed in the right direction.....without giving GPS coordinates. ;) ;) ;)

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

So for the six trips this summer in my boat I figure I have trolled for over 40 hours at a variety of depths with various lures and teaser heads and I have not had a single Chinook or Coho!!

Just be patient, wait for a nice calm day in dec/jan
and troll a glow squirt behind a white or green/glow flasher right on the bottom.
Try Whirl bay,Constance bank, Victoria waterfront anywhere from Trial island to the harbour mouth and you will catch winter springs.
they are smaller,6-12 lbs average but more agressive feeders
trust me, they will show up and you will catch them if you keep
your gear right on the bottom. ;)

We sure did have an amazing whale show, te little one loved it... A great way to end the day.

IMG_6692.jpg

A thick chubby white Spring.
IMG_6662-1.jpg

www.tailspincharters.com

quote:Don’t know what you experts do that I am not, but I hope one day to figure out the secret. Meanwhile the possible combinations of lure type, colours, trolling speed, tide, depth and location are so enormous I think I have a formidable challenge.

Ok ill bite for a first time fisherman the only thing I can say is wait till next year as this one is almost over save a few bucks and hire a local guide who is Reputable on here anyone Tailspin,LC, no bananas or myself and see what we do and ask questions your basically paying for a lesson or you can spend more time pulling out your hair "wondering" once you see how and what is done you will pick up things you never knew. how much for that "PRICELESS" LOL LOL

I personally have taken many out from this forum Danthewire for one was all but giving up hope on catching big springs until I showed him a few tricks now he has the confidence, even now we still have our yearly trip and we laugh and have a ton of fun LOL LOL

Do what you want but this will help you in the long run...

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by Englishman

I wouldn't sweat it too much. This has been generally a slow summer for spring fishing with only a couple days a week showing a decent run of fish. With that said it can be hit and miss.

As for Roy's comment, I totally agree this day and age, to save up some money with a couple friends and get a charter. Ask a million questions and do your best to understand their set ups, trolling patterns and locations etc.

If you imitate their tips and tactics, specifically anchovy rolls, you will be 75% there. The other 25% comes from good old experience, hardwork and timing (right place at the right time).

Good luck and stick with it.

Hey English man, don't fret. I've got 5 decades of fishing in Sooke under my belt.
I was never taught anything except the wrong way by my Dad. It took me years to figure most of it out....un learn it all, and learn it properly.It was all self taught, no internet, figure it out on your own. I can catch sockeye, coho, pinks and chum like crazy.
The springs, oh man hit or miss.
Was never consistent.
Went out with Roy 5 or so years ago,
He patiently coached me, try this, do this, why do you think that works? Think this way etc.
Dan WTF are you up to? Think diffrent. Shaking his head.
I went through countless packs of bait experimenting.
I do okay now, but still have a long way to go.
I learn something every year, and more important to me have made a good friend from the experience.
Hire one of the guides on here they are a pretty good bunch, you'll learn the right way at the start.
Dan.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the advice, suggestions and encouragement.
Pippen: Yes I had realised that several of the guys on this blog were fishing guides (aka fishing gods), so I have no illusions about ever getting to post my daily catch on here like them. Your suggestion of starting a newbie blog thread is a good one and I may well do that (Apologies if I violated protocol by putting my beginner post on here among the experts.) Will try varying the leader length a bit more too…..
R.S Craven: Sounds good. A winter feeder Chinook of that size would suit me just fine. I have glow hootchies but no glow flashers so I will get me some of them and go for the bottom. (I guess that could be expensive on hung up downrigger balls though; I’ve already lost two of them 8-(
Wolf: Thanks for the suggestion of going out with a guide. Probably the quickest way to learn. Like you say it might save a lot of my (grey) hair. Have to see if I can organise a couple of buddies or my family members for next season.
Juandeone : Appreciate the encouragement. Local charter sounds like the way to go to learn faster…..
Danthewire : Thanks for the personal story. Again, looks like the local charter set you on the right road. Looks like you have learnt a lot the hard way by yourself as well. I shall probably have to grit my teeth and accept it might be a very long hit and miss process for myself as well…….although I have way less than 5 decades left on this planet!!..….LOL LOL

well we might as well put aplug in for Trotac marine "The fisherman's candy store" super friendly, knowlegable staff &great prices.They deal every day with the pros & ardent anglers and are a great source of info & current trends they are located on Dallas rd

I like trotac better then outfitters due to the fact they don't push stuff on you treat you like your retarded when you ask questions about new gear and don't bother you until you ask for help

Sounds good. A winter feeder Chinook of that size would suit me just fine. I have glow hootchies but no glow flashers so I will get me some of them and go for the bottom. (I guess that could be expensive on hung up downrigger balls though; I’ve already lost two of them

you need to fish areas that have a flat sand/mud bottom.
get a chart and you will figure out which places look promising.
you will be fishing approx 150-200'deep most of the time, so electric
riggers are best suited.
12 or even 15lb balls will keep you in the zone.
they usually start to show up after middle of november.
hope this helps
:)

p.s don't buy your balls at a tackle shop, you'll pay way more !

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/12-pound-downrigger-cannon-balls_13041508

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back