SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good story Dan, hope you had time for a few pop's between all that action :)
Great to hear some forum guys having a good time on the water.

LOL LOL YES indeed was a fun day always is thanks..
While reading this I was laughing so hard you have a knack for storytelling that for sure.

Always a pleasure taking you out very glad you had fun I sure did especially the look on your face when I splashed the net on your fish LOL LOL

Thanks

Roy

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Fished Secretary and Possesson etc. Not a bad day but it could have been a lot better. Had a good reminder today about swapping out your anchovy rig/leader. Seems like I have got lazy and was reusing anchovie rigs way too much before retying them, what with all the springs, coho and sockeye around hitting them. Had 6 chinook on today. The first was a 6 lber which was very badly hooked so we kept it. The next was a screamer which ran one long run, stopped and spit out the hook. The third and 4th were an 9 and 13 pounder which we kept. Then there was another screamer which made a good run and broke the leader. The last was a slab which we played for 15 minutes or so and got a look at a few times before it sawed through the leader. So I am here retying a lot of anchovy rigs with 40 lb test instead of the 30 lb I was using and will check them and swap them out frequently, especially after every big fish. Some of us have to learn the hard way. Also released two coho and keep one sockeye which hit an anchovy. Probably about time to swap out the main reel lines as well.

quote:Originally posted by Rockfish

40 lb test instead of the 30 lb
40 and + is for hootchies..... I would stay with the 30 on chovs

The 'But Pirate should be floating tomorrow. Shake down then out Sunday. Wolf(if I see ya), I aint gunna come in close and start a ***** fest on SFBC.... So hope you can catch a "Coming in hot!" toonie [:p]

:D:D

I was wondering about that. Is the issue that 40 can affect the action/rotation and cut down on the strike ratio or is it that it is just more visible to the fish. I may give it a try anyway and see what happens.

Well I run 45 lb test for my chovie leaders im thinking it works ok:D:D:D I found lighter seems to break from the shock to the flasher to the fish is huge so I went bigger no problrm now,
Some of the guides up where I used to work ive even seen oki flasher snap in half and poof fish gone then all the have is a chunk of flasher left.
You have all seen it fish going on a weird angle and you are fighting flasher and fish till he turns you got lots of stretch on your main but 5 to 7 ft of leader with a pissed off fish on the other end there isnt much. hence why I went bigger many years ago.

As for a report fishing is still good got the boats limit but had to work for it all day and a bonus fish a 32 lb halibut and nope wasnt dragging bottom hit on my shallower rod 69 in 120 ft of water guy who got it had never seen one laughed when it said Damn they stink!!! LOL and are they ever ugly, how come something that ugly can taste so good !!!!!! then the jokes came flying you can all use your imagination LOL LOL

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Out by myself today 7-10:15 at Otter. Ended up with 2 springs--not big, and 2 sockeye. Did a Boomer for the last spring--80 ft trolling east back to the harbour in 230 ft of water. wonderbread spoon at 80 ft for a nice teenager.
T2

NICE, to hear you get the last spring at 80. sockeye were thick at the trap,boated 16, two hours just from obrian to just outside securty 40 to 70 feet ,four tripleheaders. lots of boat had fish on at 700 am to 900am. good luck boomer.

The socks were thick, but so were the fishermen! I have not seen so many boats in tight to each other like that since the days of powermooching in amongst the Painters Lodge whalers at the lighthouse in Campbell River. It was nutz! Nice to see so many socks though.

They were thick all right off Secretary Isl. we started fishing at 7am. by 10am. limited out with 16. Had a few Triple and Quadruple headers..

CAM_0053.jpg

More good news. Sounds again like the SFAB sockeye management conference call this Tuesday night is cancelled. That means no changes on the horizon and sockeye fishing stays open.:D

The test fisheries are showing an increase in total numbers which tends to imply there are even more fish than were predicted. Nice to have some good salmon news for a change!!

Get 'em while you can!

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

OK even fish fly should be able to get these !!! there not coho but damn close cmon where the 25 cents!!!! you cant say it hasnt picked up now?????;);)LOL LOL.
Its been better this past week for sure for sox springs seems to be a bit slower still getting them but slower.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Yup. Sox everywhere this weekend. Lots of boats on the water and lots of smiles at the cleaning dock. Very few springs to be had from what I saw Sunday.
Many of the sox have large scars on them. You can see them in the picture above. Any ideas on the cause? Whales? Seals? Gill nets?

Tips

Tips Up: I have caught quite a few Sockeye with the fresh sharp cuts as well (mostly near the tail). I suspect they are net cuts. The seine boats were working off Renfrew last week Mon to Thurs which I suspect is the source. Had one as well with a definite seal bite as well.

...Rob

I've been getting springs, sockeye and coho on a white hootchie with fluorescent red stripes going across the body--20 inch tail. 3 springs in the last 3 days plus socks and some beautiful teenage coho--although the coho were wild.
T2

Regarding the scars on Sockeye salmon ~ I used to work on a commercial troller (MANY years ago) and noticed a surprisingly high number of lateral scars on sockeye but not on other salmon species. I did a little investigating and found that the high frequency of lateral slash marks on the sides of high-seas salmon is caused by the attack of daggertooth. A deep sea predator of sockeye salmon that grows to almost 5 feet long. They don't make them much meaner than this guy. [}:)]

800px-Daggertooth.png

Dissection of freshly eaten prey suggests that the North Pacific daggertooth Anotopterus nikparini sever the spine of small prey with a single slashing blow. The bite marks indicate that the immobilized prey is manipulated and swallowed head first. Frequent evidence suggests daggertooth wound prey which are too large to consume whole by cutting off strips of flesh. In either case the wounds consist of a single prominent slash mark on one side and a series of inconspicuous marks on the opposite side. Retinal morphology provides supporting evidence that daggertooths are visual ambush predators that attack prey from below, and should be considered as epipelagic rather than mesopelagic fish. Visual acuity appears to be high, suggesting that frequent attacks on prey too large to be killed immediately is not error, but a well-defined feeding behaviour. The daggertooth may be a significant source of mortality for economically important fish such as all sizes of salmon.
REFERENCE: . W. Welch, P. M. Pankhurst, Visual morphology and feeding behaviour of the daggertooth, 2001, Journal of Fish Biology, Vol 58, Issue 5, pp 1427-1437

A little more info…..Daggertooth is a species that has been recently noticed as a predator of offshore salmon (Welch et al. 1991; Radchenko and Semenchenko 1996). Current Russian surface trawl surveys indicate that the abundance of daggertooth is not low in the western North Pacific and that it feeds on large numbers of salmon (Melnikov 1997). Slash marks from daggertooths are not frequently but sometimes found on salmon from high seas and coastal waters. The incidence of slash marks on salmon is usually low, ranging from less than 1% to 4 or 5%, in offshore waters (Ishida et al. 1991) but slightly higher (up to 12%) in coastal waters (Gilhousen 1989; Henderson et al. 1990). The species is widely distributed in offshore waters of the North Pacific Ocean (Nagasawa 1992), and its abundance seems to have been increasing since the early 1990’s. Based on this information, we can regard daggertooth as significant salmon predators as well as the salmon shark. Recent studies indicate that increases in salmon shark abundance in the whole region of the North Pacific has increased mortality of salmon during the high-seas phase of the life history.

What the %^&. I lost a 1000 posts to my user name. ???????? Looks like I am a junior member again[B)]

Anyone know whats going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back