SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey roy tks for the response this morning , i missed it as i was on the road already
the fire was still smoking today, we were wondering what was going on

I was out today with my buddies and we got 4 sockeye at about 500 feet of water in front of the trap shack. I am what you guys would consider a newb. Been fishing for many years but usually only catch fish if there are lots around. It is much more difficult now than 10-15 years ago. In fact I have never seen so many boats on the beecher bay / secretary island strip. I guess I got cut off but after awhile I don't care. As long as my lines don't get tangled and people give enough room when I have a fish on. Some guys are not giving a boat enough room when they have a fish on.

For the most part guys are good and concientous. Of course there are that 5% who refuse to acknowledge the rules of the road and refuse to give right of way, and change direction willy nilly. Oh well I caught fish today with a couple of old buds and had a great day. Hang in there you old timers, we need the tips!

had my cousin out today years had passed since he last fished started out 300ft off trap (in close looked like a shriners convention) off the bat cous hooked into one that seemed to run for 5 min.after much chase & steady reeling we finally get it to the boat realize his tagged a trophy pink hooked in the tail boy was he stoked me not so much played a gagle of socks landed 4 finally making it back to no brian pt. 130ft.mark hit a double header me a nice slab sockeye & cousin dave a 26.8lb spring taken @ 72 ft.on nose bleed 4ft. leader&chovy now were both:D:D

nice.
thanks for the updates.
3 more days with my nose to the stone then day off.....

My fishing partner for today just bailed on me. Too much hot sun and I suspect beer yesterday. I am debating going out alone as the fishing is really good but would prefer not to. So if there is anyone without a boat who wants to go today, send me a quick e-mail with your phone #. It would be a bonus if you have any experience with Scotty electric downriggers etc.

anyone hear the gong go off on the Striper this morning

out with Justin and the young lad

2hours 12 sockeye

4rods going off makes for busy times

fished off secretary this morning with a fishing buddy. 10:45 am we had our limit of sockeye. Last fish turned out to be a nice 12 lb spring , what a blast. Usual gear, dummy flashers, little pink squirts, all rods going off when you go through a school. I hope they stick around for a few more weeks.

Hey Sean that was a blast yesterday. Jen's a pretty damn good fisherman.
I thought your reel was going to explode when that spring took off, man he was outa there.
Out again this morning limit by 8:30, remember that trick I showed you yesterday? modified it a bit today and holy crap, lit it right up in no time. Give me a call later in the week might be able to squeeze something in.
Dan

quote:Originally posted by striperjack

anyone hear the gong go off on the Striper

out with Justin and the young lad

2hours 12 sockeye

4rods going off makes for busy times

same for you yesterday Jack? Sure is fun as hell once you find those schools. Wish I had more days out there right now as you can stock up nicely on them.

had 7 sockeye and 1 hatch coho yesterday.by 1030..as good as pink fishing but quality fish....time to get canning and smoking

no luck on springs...gave them a try for the first few hours

junior is having a blast

No spring action for us today. Lots of Sox as bycatch though and then once we targeted them it was doubles for everyone. We got some descent 12 lb sox on choves

Wow what a hot flat day!

Went out for the evening bite. unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any sox for what ever reason. I was off of Secretary looking and just not finding. I ended up at possession and had a screamer ( 1st for me this year) and unfortunately it bent the hook and let it self go. No I wasn't yarding on it either. trolled all the way down to the head and found a very large bait ball. Lost two more screamers due to rookie errors. Oh well, I had a lot of fun out there learning.[:eek:)]

As I mentioned earlier my fishing partner bailed on me today, too much sun yesterday and possibly too much beer. So I humed and hawed about going out by myself or phoning friends early in the morning and seeing if I could dig up someone. Instead I asked on this blog if anyone was interested and got a response from a form member who said he would be at my place in half an hour. Nice guy, we got out on the water by 10:30 and fished for Sockeye off Sooke. Got three and lost three ( I had limited out the day before on Sockeye). Around 2:00 pm I decided to try for Chinook so we went inshore. Left down one Sockeye squirt and put a Chovey on the other rod. At 3:00 pm the red squirt goes off and we pull in a nice non-clipped Coho but before we could release it the anchovie starts pounding. We release the coho and I haul in a 31 lb Chinook. We put down two anchovies and go back around on the same tac. This time my new fishing partner gets a 32 lb Chinook. So we fish the same tac again and one rod goes off and I am playing a good Chinook. When the other rod goes off, now its a double header, I got in a 21 lber this time, but it’s not a perfect story as my partner’s fish (which was a real screamer) manages to break off the leader on him. What was fun was that by 3:00pm there was very few boats fishing off the Sooke harbour but a few going in from Otter and Sheringham and some going out right past us on the way to Sheringham or Otter for the evening bit and not realizing they are going right passed us while we a sitting on top of a feeding school of large Chinook (lots of good arches on the sounder) . Only one other boat stopped and also picked up a good fish. So a day I was dejected and thinking about not going out at all, turned into one of my best Sooke fishing day and a new fishing partner. So I took over the 21 lber and a couple of Sockeye to my boss’s house and now I have tomorrow off to go fishing again. It does not get any better.

and too think i was about to change my plans and email you rockfish, lol, my loss
good for u
and i think everyone owes wolfy .25 cents;)

Thanks dohboy. I think I remember you from clipping coho at the Sooke hatchery. I was stoked when I got home, I can tell from all the spelling and grammar errors in my post.

Took a buddy of mine out today for his birthday. Had intentions of going out for Socks, but he's not to stable on his feet with bum knees. It was kinda windy/foggy so stayed in Becher Bay. Turned out to be a good decision. He picked up a 19 off Creyke Point at 9am, bloody nose/red hotspot/ 45'. Just as we about to head in at 2pm off Fraser Island I saw a little tug and when I started to reel in thinking it was a shaker, took off like a freight train screamming. Prit near spooled my reel so had to chase it. Thought it was the fish of a lifetime, but was surpised at only 23 lb. Never had a fish that size run that far. By far the best fight I've ever had. Purple haze/100' Lots of Springs being cleaned at Cheanuh.Sounded like the Trap was productive today.

Slept in and finally got out on the water around 10:30 am but we still managed a 28 and 20 lb Chinook and released a non-clipped Coho, If this keeps up it is going to kill my motivation to get up early. There has been some good bites in the afternoon lately after a lot of the early risers have gone home. Nice to be playing some fish with lots of space and no one close to you.

Well done Rockfish, a good gesture turns into a rewarding experience - and good fish to boot!

Did today out of Cheanuh, couple of wild coho released, missed a few strikes, and one 18 pound spring in the boat late afternoon.

Well done Rockfish, a good gesture turns into a rewarding experience - and good fish to boot!

Did today out of Cheanuh, couple of wild coho released, missed a few strikes, and one 18 pound spring in the boat late afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back