SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just talked to my neighbor about that 54 lber--his nephew took a buddy out who had been sick for a year or so. They were off Beechey and his nephew handed a rod to his buddy--"Hold this for a sec": boom--54 lber on. That's a tonic for what ails you! Good for him--nice to see someone catch a slug like that who needed the boost.
T2

was looking at big wave dave, saturday looks like SE winds or ESE, i hope the fish dont notice[:0]

hey guys. heres the story of the fish--i'm sure my crazy uncle jim was drinking when he told the nephew story..i haven't even told him yet. three of us (john kirkendale, travis hansen, paul kowalayk) left esquimalt anglers 5:30--fog at race, dropped in at obrien/trap area around 6:15. stacked one side chovy and glow hootchie, other side blood nose 7ft leader, purple haze flasher, tandem 4strong hooks @ 55 ft in about 120ft of water. rod hit i grabbed the rod, said to paul hey paul take this fish (he hasn't fished this year and travis and i have) he didn't want it but took it with some pressure. took alot of line intitial run, came to the boat, surfaced 50 ft away, travis and i saw the full tail out of the water and looked at each other "holy ****...big fish". we knew it was going to take another big run before coming to the boat which it did. came near the boat travis joked salmon shark...net came out and in the boat. very excited. travis and i knew we had to run this in quick without bleeding it to have a shot in top 3 so off we went and waited at outfitters for elliot. thats it. lucky enough to be in the right spot at the right time...

i value the information on this site and have no issues with sharing what we had on. we are all out there to enjoy the coast and put fish in the boat...all the best go get'em this weekend.

i'll post photos once i can figure it out here.

oh nice one Johnny! Gets me pumped for the weekend. Say hi to Travis.

Now that's a friggin report!!!!

Cheers,
Brett M

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab171/johnkirk1/IMG_2871.jpg
[[IMG]http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab171/johnkirk1/IMG_2870.jpg

here John, a little edit for you - wtg

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab171/johnkirk1/IMG_2870.jpg[/IMG]img]img][/img]

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab171/johnkirk1/IMG_2871.jpg[/IMG]

quote:Originally posted by dohboy

highlights
yes i did make the connection, but back to truck school for you it was a ford you were looking at[:I], i was kinda laughing seeing you come out of there towing your boat, that parking lot can be tight at the best of times

LOL, Ford? .... $%^. Parking lot, yeah but you should see me paralell park that thing downtown:D

John , nice one ! Haven't seen you guys out for some time. Maybe get together yet this summer with the kids over at Sher and Sterls.

Have a good summer man. Nice fish[8D]

CAUTION IN THE FOG....Heard from a friend who was out in the fog in Sooke yesterday trolling along, and out of the fog a big boat running very quickly runs into them. They are very lucky for the quick response of the fella driving the smaller boat to swing his boat around to avoid a direct hit. Still did some damage to his boat, rigger and rod.

Thankfully no one was hurt.

Use your head out there!

Nice work guy.Jonh saw your boat speeding off i was right beside you gays .thought you where going out for sox ,travis was pump at work.

TailoutFishingAventures
www.Tailoutfishing.com

Wasnt yesterday sean and I doubt today if you want just call me on my cel and ill tell you what its doing out there for you....

Last night we were out and you could see a forest fire happen it was up past sheringham pt way inland on the west side of the mountain started out small but grew quick in time fast..

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

holy gong show batman - from obrien, looking towards secretary from the tip of the island to the border, I roughly counted 120 boats. MOST of them I assume were out for sockeye as they were spread way out in the deeps. A few biggee springs were caught from the buzz we heard but only saw a few apparent teens landed and the 29.5 that weighed in for the bite me. Fished trap for a while, nothing for us but a small spring we released, headed out for sockeye as it was only a morning fish we had time for - very hit and miss, but damn, when it was hit, it was bam bam bam...1 rod goes, few seconds later the next one goes. Think we had 3 double headers, i had 6 on landed 5, buddy was 2 for 4, several hits as well. Look for the last one and the ebb pushed us too far from the school we had just found and we had no luck and dragged flashers for 1/2 hour. Headed in for cleanup. Batch of 5lbs, batch of 8lbs. Ran red hotspot with red squirt, sooke special with pink, mostly 50ft, but anywhere from 45 to 65 - even one at 20 in the middle of stacking.

Find the schools and its a gong show of a good kind - better schools were around 520 - I assume must have been huge schools right at Secretary given the cluster.

Good stuff Deewar.

And I know it's more about the sport than the meat, but those sockeye filets are sure nice. I was in the supermarket this evening, $30/kg for sockeye, one 2 pound filet was $29. So do the math there!

I am heading out with a friend in the am tomorrow. Today he said they had 16 on, landed 9.

Fished Sockeye today out off Sooke harbour in 350 to 550 feet of water from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm when we limited out. Any flasher seems to work as long as you have a small orange/pink/red squirt attached to it.

Was out today with danthewire and my gf Jen , we went straight out to sheringham (dan is getting older and cranky , so staying as far away as possible from the other boats the better) morning starting interesting at sunny shores with a jack azz at the dock, but that is another story

Jen hooked into a smallish spring which was released, followed by a hit and miss, i then got into a nice one (20ish) which i lost, damn fish cut my line (brand new leader this morning) fish thought he was a freight train on the last run, if i hadnt of seen it before that run i would have been saying i lost a monster

Jen picks up the action with a nice 22.5lber ( outfishes me again), after that we had a couple more hits and i kept 1 small spring.

Then Dan opened beginners class to catching sockeye, and i can say that he is a good teacher, we started late and still got 3 in the boat and lost about 10 more, if we had the time to stay out there we could have filled the boat, not that we would

Have to say a big thanks to Dan for a great day out there

DSC00248Medium-2.jpg

DSC00244Medium.jpg

Nice work Sean. And congrats to Jen for her slab. Sounds like you guys had a great day on the water. Good to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back