Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Fished Possession from 6-12, 2 spring hits before 8. Watched 1 boat do very well with 4 boated springs in the teens to low 20's. Headed out off of Secretary at noon and boated a Spring about 15. Trolled back to the point and hit another 15. Long
grinding day but results were worth it. The forecasted/reported winds were just not there this AM, glad we took the chance.

Went out for an afternoon from Pedder Bay. Headed around the corner up to Beecher. Not much going on there but once we got around Christopher point, we found a hatch coho. Stuck around for the "night bite" and got a high teen white spring. Missed another one. I let my buddy take all the hook ups. He needed the practice and he doesn't get out much. Great night on the water. Few photos for ya.........

DSC_0323.JPG

DSC_0328.JPG

DSC_0318.JPG

Went out for an afternoon from Pedder Bay. Headed around the corner up to Beecher. Not much going on there but once we got around Christopher point, we found a hatch coho. Stuck around for the "night bite" and got a high teen white spring. Missed another one. I let my buddy take all the hook ups. He needed the practice and he doesn't get out much. Great night on the water. Few photos for ya.........

DSC_0323.JPG

DSC_0328.JPG

DSC_0318.JPG

Nice pics dave!

slow this morning....worked around Church Rock and Trap Shack.....Released a decent beauty wild coho salmon and also small hatch king salmon. beautiful day out there, indeed!

Fished Church Rock to Sooke from 630 am to noon picked up a 12 lb hatch spring, released 4 wild coho , 1 keeper about 4 lbs and released 4 real nice sockeye. All caught on Green Splatterback Needle Fish hochey 50 to 70 ft. Great day on the water.

Took some buddies out today and tried Otter from 7:45 till 10:30 am. Got one hit at 85 feet when we first arrived which was probably a chinook but turned into a long distance release. So have had 10-12 visits to Otter over the past 2 years but never caught a summer chinook there. Sheringham has been much kinder to us. (2 for 3) Got a hatch coho before we departed Otter and then we went way the hell out to 400-470 feet of water and started to hit more coho out there (85 feet). Ended with 3 hatch (about 5lbs average) and released about 6 wild. Several missed hits too. However, the coho are definately moving on and are nowhere near the numbers they were even last week. Beauty day on the water and with less fish there is more time to get a sun tan.....LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
10-2:00 pm today off Secretary. 4 hatchery coho, shaker, numerous wild. No springs. Saw a couple springs from Otter when we arrived. No crab for us? Where are they in Harbour? 50-65 feet. skunked on Jughead. Need more practice, I guess.

Finally a 19 lb Spring off the Trap tonight at 7pm. A few other pin poppers. Nice night on the water.

What a difference a week makes. Last 3 weeks been red hot for coho but today super slow. Fished 7 - 1:00 from bedfords, Church, the head, offshore and in Becher Bay and only 2 coho, one got off beside the boat and the other a small wild. First time skunked in months. Beauty day and tons of boats out, didn't see one net out and only a couple small fish at the dock. Full moon? Scooped an entire bait ball which almost took my net but they were only little 3" so back they went. If they were a little bigger would have been enough bait for a year, and at the price of bait.....

was out yesterday fished from 6.30 a.m. to1.30 off secretary and towards otter tried for springs ... no luck..went out t 400 plus feet releasted 2 wild coho 3 more to long range releases ....saw a sea lion grab one guys salmon as he was bringing it in... that was it for us nice day out there...

full moon and clear skies = sh*tty fishing during the day

But I think I saw there was a 43lb weighed in?
Yep, this is a good reason to go all in..party it up all night..sleep in..lick your wounds :D then re-group for a later start

did a night fish on tuesday and thursday evening this past week,,,got a 20lb chinook booth nights and 2 clipped coho on tuesday and one clipped on thursday night,,
therook and i were out at the head by 6am this morning,,trolled there a bit,,down to the trap shack a few loops then picked up the grear and headed to otter,,lots of boats there as well,,the rook caught a nice 10lb chinook,released one nice wild coho,headed to our crab traps,,nothing,, going to turn that around tomorrow,,,

Started at 5, had 5 fish to the boat by 8, nothing huge, 15,16,18,19,13. Out west early bite, glow gear 40-90ft... Good Day Driller P.s that 43.90 is a hog. :)

One 19 lb Spring after 8 hours of fishing today. Not real productive, but, at least one nice fish. Tons of boats off the Head and Secretary. Hot day out there at least till wind picked up.

full moon and clear skies = sh*tty fishing during the day

But I think I saw there was a 43lb weighed in?

43 weighed in at 8am........

17,20,27 in the shipping lanes..

First day back on the water after two weeks away. Launched at 3pm, out of Flemming, only 25 mins to Possesion Pt. with calm seas. Got 14 hook ups , all coho. When we hit them they came in bunches 3 double headers. The real trick for us was to be at 80ft, we tried other depths atempting to coax up a spring with no luck. Not sure if it was the bright sun or what, but the fish were concentrated right at 80ft. Will be launching at 5am and heading back to Possesion Pt. I hope that 40lber that was mentioned had some school mates still kicking about.

Cheers
Rich

Headed out for another afternoon off the head. Coho first for a couple hours of great action. Bucktails and spoons sans flasher. Fun times! Got our limit of hatch then headed in to the trap and found a nice spring mid teens. Couple photos.....
DSC_0355.JPG

DSC_0336.JPG

DSC_0359.JPG

Back