Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Didn't get out till after 10:30 this morning and went out between Aldrige and Church and hit a couple of nice hatch's at 125 and 95ft (trying to get below the coho) and released another wild at the side of the boat. Pulled up and ran to the Trap when I got tired of bucking the tide at the Head and got a teenager before I got my buddies line on the other downrigger. Good day, 4 hits, 4 fish, got to bring 3 home. Used bait and a cop car spoon.

We were out from 630 till about 230-3. We worked aldridge, the head and the trap pretty hard. Lots of hits, but only a few to the boat. Brought home 2 hatchery coho. Beautiful day after the fog lifted. As always, we had a lot of fun.

Hey Striperjack, don't know if that was Possesion you were at, but i watched a sealion shredd 4 fish this morning. It was a tough go for me today, managed 1 small spring and watch the locals put some numbers up.

Great Afternoon in Sooke we landed 5 spring and 2 of them were 32lbs and 36lbs. Looks like things are heating up up west and should be good for us.:eek:

Watched DFO put the marker on Possession Point, so no more fishing for springs on the inside of the point for this season

Great Afternoon in Sooke we landed 5 spring and 2 of them were 32lbs and 36lbs. Looks like things are heating up up west and should be good for us.:eek:

Nice job....

You in the derby this weekend? Should I be bringing water balloons if you happen to be at the dock?

went out to fish the trap shack for the night bite last night,rods in the water at about 4pm,landed a 20lb spring at the shack,then a nice 9lb clipped coho,,trolled down to the head and caught a 10 lb spring and a 8lb clipped coho,,then when i got closer to the head lost a monster in very rough seas,,he ran forever then of course flipped off my line,,i have to find myself some good hooks that will stick,,the ones that i am using are the red comacausee hooks and they seem to only last one trip then they start to bend,,that is the treble hooks,,i am going to try the larger single red comacausee next,,i will try those on thursday night

x2 on the owner hooks. One hook last year landed about 100lbs of salmon and I still have it tied up and ready to go.BTW, dont try to sharpen them, the points are toast as soon as you do.

Anyone targeting hali west of Sheringham lately? Would like to have the old lady pick one up this weekend, seeing that she's going to be my fishing partner this weekend.

Anyone targeting hali west of Sheringham lately? Would like to have the old lady pick one up this weekend, seeing that she's going to be my fishing partner this weekend.
My advice would be "the old lady" has a name, you may find the phrase appropriate, but you might also find that by using her name you would get lucky more often!
Do you introduce her as "the old lady" when meeting friends?
To get back on topic, he hali hole off Jordon River can be hot, but a long way to go, especially with your lovely partner.

Last edited by a moderator:
bringing the boat down and hoping to hit the water on sunday, gonna use a couple fly rods on the surface for the coho and put one down for a crack at a spring, looking forward to finally getting in on the action, tying some big green flies tonight!

Out at 10:30 took a shot at the springs around Possession. No nets, no talk on the VHF. Hung out for 3 hours then decided to head out to the 430ft mark. Hit coho right away. 90 ft was a couple wilds, top line picked up a beauty hatchery. brought up the other lines and limited out in 1/2 hour. FUN!! anchovy, hootchie and coho killer worked today. Maybe try it tomorrow too!! Xena

Back