Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

ouch - Gene from our office had a ticket for the derby, but gave it up to another guy and ended up fishing out of the waterfront - would have been able to weigh in the winner if he didn't pull that stunt! 32 lbs

photo1.jpg

Wolf you have the guys at cheanuha wondering, everyone has been coming in and asking about the 49lber.

went out tonight for a few hours came in before slack , very choppy, didnt head out to far, nothing on the sounder, nothing but the biggest kelp on my dr line, i was like hmm that is a weird angle. then the other side caught one after in a turn and started to pull line under the boat, called it a night that was enough excitement lol

Guested a couple of people in the Consultant's Derby today. No chinook at all and just a few coho to around 6lbs. Nowhere near the crazy day that we had on Thursday. Ended with 3 hatchery. Don't know how or where people were catching the 10 and 12 lb fish posted on here. Been out four times for Coho now and never saw one bigger than 7lbs and must have brought well over 50 to the boat in these trips. Some folks on here must have very special tricks!! LOL

The Consultant's Derby did get a few chinook from Possession and Trap area but everyone I spoke to got their fish early between 5am and 7am. We got there around 7:30am and did not see any action and I don't think much was caught after 7am . The early birds got all the worms today!!

I was out fishin' near Possession Point the other day with buddies in his boat. My buddy caught and released a good sized wild coho salmon in about 8 to 10 lb, wishin' it was a hatch fish. I had a spring on at after 7 am but that fish split the hook.

Guested a couple of people in the Consultant's Derby today. No chinook at all and just a few coho to around 6lbs. Nowhere near the crazy day that we had on Thursday. Ended with 3 hatchery. Don't know how or where people were catching the 10 and 12 lb fish posted on here. Been out four times for Coho now and never saw one bigger than 7lbs and must have brought well over 50 to the boat in these trips. Some folks on here must have very special tricks!! LOL

The Consultant's Derby did get a few chinook from Possession and Trap area but everyone I spoke to got their fish early between 5am and 7am. We got there around 7:30am and did not see any action and I don't think much was caught after 7am . The early birds got all the worms today!!

I was out fishin' near Possession Point the other day with buddies in his boat. My buddy caught and released a good sized wild coho salmon in about 8 to 10 lb, wishin' it was a hatch fish. I had a spring on at after 7 but that fish split the hook.

Consultant’s Invitational Fishing Derby http://www.fishingderbyonline.com/DerbyPage?derbyID=54
Not to many springs....

1. 22.60 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Brendan Sterling - (#117) 14
2. 22.50 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Kevin Smitten - (#112) 17
3. 16.80 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Tristan Smith - (#119) 5
4. 15.10 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Dennis Mccallum - (#115) 5
5. 13.20 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Christoph Moch - (#110) 11
6. 9.80 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Mark Miard - (#120) 2
7. 9.70 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Christian Madsen - (#103) 5
8. 6.50 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Al Fontes - (#105)

Damn, we would have won if we were in the derby - way she goes! Damn did I see a 32 come from the breakwall?

Don't know how or where people were catching the 10 and 12 lb fish posted on here. Been out four times for Coho now and never saw one bigger than 7lbs and must have brought well over 50 to the boat in these trips.

Don't worry its not you, people just have a tough time estimating weight in that 5-15lb range, those 10-12lb fish are actually 4-7lbs.

There are a few out there English. I released a large wild coho about a week ago that was easily 10. That was down deeper. 80'.

YES deewar 1 oz shy LOL LOL shiat happens musy say very good derby well runned you guys did a great job.... thanks

Went out yesterday Late morning to limit out on Clipped Coho in an hour or so. Fun! Right out from the harbour just past secretary anywhere from bucktails up top to 45 ft on the rigger, spoons, army truck hoochy, flies, If it mooved, It was good to go! Got two on my 6wt fly rod. After the first epic battle with a little guy, (4 pounds Maby...) I wanted more! Unfortunitly the second fish on my fly rod felt like a freaking seal! after a arm numbing battle, finally got to to the back of the boat to find a 8ish lbs fish snagged right on its side! No wonder I couldnt get it to the boat!!
Felt bad for the fish, but lotsa fun! Speaking about feeling bad for the fish, We saw one coho swin past the boat with a flasher following it. Check your knots guys!! Kept 6 clipped, released ONLY 2 Wild! Yeahoo! Lost half a dozen.
After the Coho bonanza we got serious and powed up the big motor to take us to otter in search for some knuckle busters!
We fished tight to the bottom from about 12-2pm, anywhere from 60-150 ft of water. Around 1ish we picked up a Great spring Right off the point right after a turn around. Im thinking high teens? after it was landed, we circled around to the same spot, and got another one on, but never got to see it. And that was our day! AWSOME!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 107
Was out yesterday, trolled from Beechy Head to Secretary / Possession Point. Was out for 4 hrs. 5am-9am, Had about 20 fish to the boat. Got a 27lber, 10lb spring and two hatchery coho. Great day out there.

Is anyone encountering these hordes of Coho near Pedder bay anywhere?

After hearing all these crazy reports, I put my tinny in there today and went for a peek. I saw not one Coho.

Got into some off church on Saturday. Not hot and heavy but decent action with about a dozen hits in 3-4 hours trolling. Mostly small ones I think our biggest was 7 pounds.

Is anyone encountering these hordes of Coho near Pedder bay anywhere?

After hearing all these crazy reports, I put my tinny in there today and went for a peek. I saw not one Coho.

how far out did you go?

i assume near the tide line would be best.. might make a trip out tonight and see.

Tonight will be to windy I think out there kildonan if you were to try again I would go out of beecher not peddar and go the route the poster above you said. We caught our first one as soon as you pass the little island. Morning is best I wouldnt go out past 4 tides and wind not great past then from what ive seen the past week.. We will be out tomorrow morning. I can let ya know for tuesday.

Tonight will be to windy I think out there kildonan if you were to try again I would go out of beecher not peddar and go the route the poster above you said. We caught our first one as soon as you pass the little island. Morning is best I wouldnt go out past 4 tides and wind not great past then from what ive seen the past week.. We will be out tomorrow morning. I can let ya know for tuesday.

my boats moored in pedder currently so i dont really have a choice

the race rocks cam looks good. is whirl bay / church producing any decent number of coho? or better to follow our the tide lines behind race rocks?

cam might look good but says its 21 kn winds gusting more and 30 expected. not sure about your boat but not good for a small tinny

not sure on the whirl bay/church reports

the rook and i slept in a little today,,got to the marina at 9:30am,directly to the trap shack,,the rook caught a 20lb chinook before i got my line in the water,,caught one clipped coho after 3 trips past the shack with no luck then trolled over to secretary about 2pm,got nothing there so we trolled back towards the head,,when we got to the head it was on fire with wild coho,,we caught 5 more clipped ,but released 2 because we had our limit of coho,had a hog on my top line that we fish with a 6 oz weight and played that for 1/2 hour before i lost it,,peeled a ton of line and was a great battle but this time the fish won,,but that's okay it was the thrill of the fight,,all in all it was a great day on the water concidering that big wave dave had it blowing a bit more then what it did,,tight lines boys

oh yeah,,you don't have to go out to the tide lines for the coho,,thay are in closer to the shore,,that's great,safer for you guys with the smaller boats

Plenty of Coho and some decent (teenager) springs coming in from Church\|Whirl\Bedfords based on what I saw yesterday and today at the cleaning tables. Probably not as crazy for Coho as what the folks Beechy to Secretary are seeing but most anglers seem to have no problem getting their fish. The Coho appear to be more out in front of Church on the flood, and either in Whirl or towards and past the Bedfords on the ebb.

That being said, with the recent forecasts there's no way I'd head out there from Pedder in a smaller tinny in anything more than about 10 kn of wind, especially on an ebb.

Rumour has it that there has been a decent evening (top of flood) bite in Pedder Bay for springs. Haven't done it myself lately, but the info comes from what I consider to be a credible source. Try that, and live to fish another day...

CP

Back