Sooke reports - August 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I got Wolf's back.

The reason I went out with Wolf on Saturday.

The first time I went to Sooke, I went with a buddy last year(who's a damn good fisherman), we fished first light til 1600 without a bite. Earlier this year, I got lost in the fog for awhile (skunked again).

I've been reading Wolf's posts, thinking he was being pretty damn generous with advice for a guide who doesn't really need to be generous with advice.

I've learned a lot from Wolf's posts and learned a hell of a lot more from hiring him as a guide.

I know guys that guide with Wolf up Knight Inlet way. They all agree, Wolf is a hell of a good fisherman.

Next time I take my own boat down to Sooke, I'll sure feel a hell of a lot more confident about what I'm doing and won't get all skitterish and start panicking and changing tactics because it ain't working.

I split the charter with a buddy - $300 each. I landed the 35# and a 22#. I got 40# of fillets getting vacuum sealed at St. Jeans. My buddy got about the same. That's about $7 a pound - for a great day on the water with my son.

I don't know what your guys salmon runs per pound, but I know mine has been working out to a hell of a lot more than $7. With the amount I've spent the last couple of years (new motor, kicker, downriggers, every new lure made in the last 2 years), I could have probably chartered out with wolf a half dozen times a year, caught more fish, and still saved money.

Ken.

Yes just one big treble is all I use seems to work for me. thanks cutlassglad you rnjoyed the time out on my boat.

Good luck Wolf

never really tried to calculate cost per pound, hmmm....
bet it's more than that.
But, to me it's the challenge of using your own gear,tying your
own leaders, and finding the fish.
Then if you're doing everything right, and you hit fish,
there is a feeling of acomplishment !
i have been on several guided charter's and tried to learn from
each one, but for me there's nothing like catching fish
on your own boat [8D]

Hey Craven,

I agree, there's nothing like catching fish from your own boat. You make the call on where, when and how to fish.

Hell, I don't even really consider the tyee I landed with wolf to be official. Sure I landed him, with guidance from Wolf, but really the work was done by wolf to get that hook in his mouth. In my boat I probably would have lost him - I only use 9' rods (though will now use at least 10'6". Just what I learned about getting a big fish to the boat without losing him was very valuable.

There's alot of really good sport fishers here, who don't need a guide. This is only my third season doing it, so there's one heck of a lot of learning for me to do. That's why I always try to fish with guys who know more than me - because truthfully, I don't know a lot.

I could flail away out at Secretary and Otter for a couple years, getting in everyones way, fouling gear and losing fish - or learn some solid fundamentals from a pro, and by reading these forums.

Yup, been there for sure. More of my cannon balls and gear decorating a few choice reef's than you could imagine.
it's a big learning curve that never ends, but if you love the sport
it's all worth while ;)

Has there ever been a post with over 13000 hits?! or over 200 responses?!

All started from "any reports from Otter?"
LOL!!!

Maybe I finally got a record for something to do with fishing!!:D

Get out there hot as hell again today we were done before 10:00 with our limit socks showed up again today lots of fun, you all know where I was!!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

" Tubber how can you say disappointing you obvious were not at the cleaning station on those days at around 3 pm we had to wait in line to clean fish and i think sat I saw the most fish caught in a long time My guests all got tons of salmon on sat another forum member hired me and he got a 35 and 3 more in the 20s it was anything but slow out there, its been fantastic you just have to know how to fish it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Wolf "

Hey Wolf,
I haven't been on for a few days. I didn't mean to imply that the fishing or the area was dissapointing. I should have been clearer. I was dissapointed in my own results, not in the quality/quantity of the fish that were available to be caught. I'll be back again to get it right next year.
Cheers

when i added up the money ive spent on stuff to go fishing buying boat 3K+ truck 5K plus gear and accessories 1.5K and gas .5k and the big total of 3 fish caught so far thats $3333 a fish! and like $600 can get you 4 fish when u hire a guide. lol

I totally agree with Craven, its the whole experience that makes all the money spent worth every penny. There's alot worse things to be throwing money away at.
I hadnt fished for prolly 10 years till I bought my boat last year. Since then I've fished basically every weekend. Catching the fish myself is what its all about IMHO.

I must be the only 1 that doesnt know where wolf is or has been[:p]

i guess it is "priceless" and i can take the boat water skiing and tubing aways fun.

22' foot boat $40,000, Operating expenses for the year $5,000+ Standing at the back of the boat with two hogs on screaming line off the reels at the same time and limiting out by 8am. With 6 hogs & 2 sockey and be back home in time for breakfast!... Price less..

quote:Originally posted by Hurston

Since then I've fished basically every weekend. [:p]

Does anyone else notice a direct connection with fishing every weekend and the state of your yard. [:p]

quote:Does anyone else notice a direct connection with fishing every weekend and the state of your yard.
You've been talking to my significant other...
T2

Yup , thats why I have had to come home and spend 5 whole friggin days getting it back into shape looked like the "Munsters " driveway when we came back , the missus was not impressed or overly excited on my comment that of practicing conservation and allowing the natural flora to flow over the landscape ............didn't know that she knew words like that , that followed me out to the garden shed.
Back at her again on Tuesday to Friday , then 12th to the 15th at REnfrew and to finish up a good September back to Otter Point from 18th to the 25th ............luverly !!!!

AL

Cancelled Reny last minute and booked Sooke for three days starting manana. Someone once told me, "you gotta go where the fish ARE."

Muir Creek, 75', Spring Fever flasher dragging a chovie crammed into a purple/gold Special...

See you all there and good luck!

hurston ive got a new ride look for a big glasply (22 ft) with a pod on the back with a 225 optimax on it its the only one in sooke im on channel 6 call for bluewolf see you out there!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back