Sooke Report -- 2008 season

Nice go round Wolf looks great bunch of happy campers by the looks of it.

IMG_1021-1.jpg

Well got back from good old Sooke this weekend and as usual we enjoyed ourselves very much. As everyone is saying she is a little slow this summer but the fish are there if you work for them and pay attention to detail it definitely separates the boaters from the fishermen that’s for sure lolol. Anyways we did pretty good we came home with 9 nice Chinook not bad for 11 mornings of fishing nothing to big with 24# being the biggest and 10# being the smallest so we have our Salmon for the year now its smoking and canning time with a few saved for the Bar-B. The weather treated us great with only one morning of wind but the little “lake boat†(hey Wolf) handled it not bad.

Once again I would like to thank Wolf for all his help and info you are the man and thx for the loaner flasher buddy got us a couple for sure. And next year we are going to have to do the day trip with Yourself, Colin and Jim and I we just better bring lots oh pop for that one lololo. Anyways thx again Roy it was a blast.

And yah I also saw Gypseas out there one day and tact past reel addiction a few times so good to see some of the boys out there.

Here are just a couple pics from the trip.

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

Sooke038.jpg

Sooke042.jpg

And heres one for you Roy,, thx for the lucky hat bro..
IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1021-1.jpg

Nice pics walleyes ..but... the pic of the 2 boys holding up their fish, well is it just me or does it look like the younger one is holding up a wild coho [?]

Yah it is a tricky one I had to look very hard at it myself when we boated it but I can asure you the mouth was all Chinook. The DFO boys were actually at the cleaning table that day when I was cleaning it so all is well boys no worries. It especially looks like it in the pic I think mainly because of the way the sun light is hitting it.

P.S. I made that mistake once in my life and I let me tell you I make damn sure now before bonking one...

IMG_1021-1.jpg

That's a coho......at least it looks like one to me.
I trolled commercially for 10 yrs and have seined for 6 and it looks like all the other coho i have caught.

Oh well.....Nice fish!

Cheers

Its a spring if you say its a spring but from sitting here it looks like a Coho,8 years on commercial trollers tells me that it is a male coho also. But then again maybe I'm wrong. Either way.... nice fish.

Gentlemen, I believe what we have here is a very rare ChinookHo...........;);) SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Coho. Definitely. Square tail. Silver in it with no spotting. Hooked nose white gums. And if you want to get really technical count the rays throughout the anal fin. I have caught hundreds of these big northerns. To the untrained eye you could confuse it for a chinook for it's mere size.

Chinook for sure. The scale pattern is all wrong for a coho & it does have a lot of spots on its back. The poor lighting makes it hard to see the spots, but they are there. Check the pic of my up close coho. note the difference in the scale size.
100_0311.jpg

quote:Originally posted by netski

BUDDY, YOU ARE A FRIGGIN CLOWN.AFTER NEARLY 30 YEARS OF FISHING IN THE SOOKE REGION I THINK WE KNOW THE DIFFENCE BETWEEN A FISH OR A
F$%#&N IDIOT AT THE OTHER END OF OUR LINE!!! PERHAPS YOU SHOULD GET A NEW DRIVER (SOMEONE OTHER THAN YOUR 90 YR. OLD POP????)PROBABLY DON'T HAVE ANYONE..... IF YOU'RE HAVING SO MANY RUN INS ON THE WATER PERHAPS YOU NEED TO TAKE ANOTHER LOOK AT YOUR NAVIGATIONAL SKILLS...OH...THAT'S
B-O-A-T-I-N-G FROM THE CORNER OF THE EARTH YOU ARE FROM.

Relax man,take a happy pill and enjoy the fish pictures...;)

ASummersteel didnt know coho were open on the sss yet???Looks like fun!

Just Bring it!

Fished secratary with dano for a few hours tonight,picked up a beauty wildcoho'Fishing was very slow,saw a few fish boated but not many,Was a beautiful eveningso decided to move to otter where apon arriving we wittnessed a double header withbuddylosing both,we dropped the lines and were rewarded with a beauty teenager,then the rains soaked us out and we headed home for more beer.Nice tofinally met ya hallilama,,,how did you guys make out????

All set up and ready to rumble some Sooke Waters. Some good fish out Point no Point, saw the Blue Wolf up there in his secret spot

My buddy has some half days available early September if anyone in interested. Great prices!

www.vipfishing.ca

Back