Sooke Report -- 2008 season

that's always the case isn't it - would have beat out the winner by a couple of pounds....not huge prizes, but he took a longarm electric downrigger. Nice work on the 30...I fished Secretary/Possession with Fah Cups most of the day and we just had 1 in, no other bites...was definitely tough plugging out there.

that's always the case isn't it - would have beat out the winner by a couple of pounds....not huge prizes, but he took a longarm electric downrigger. Nice work on the 30...I fished Secretary/Possession with Fah Cups most of the day and we just had 1 in, no other bites...was definitely tough plugging out there.

Sounds like we got lucky today. We took the whole family out today, 5 of us in the boat. 22lb, possessed white spring, fought unbelieveable and then we lost a good one right after that (thought we were going to have to chases it). It all happened at around 2 at Otter, just a short snap, we saw 3 other fish caught right around the same time.

Sounds like we got lucky today. We took the whole family out today, 5 of us in the boat. 22lb, possessed white spring, fought unbelieveable and then we lost a good one right after that (thought we were going to have to chases it). It all happened at around 2 at Otter, just a short snap, we saw 3 other fish caught right around the same time.

Nice to see the forum back up quick.. damn hackers...

Was out yesterday (Sunday) fished Possession/Sec. first light.. saw 3-4 fish landed in the first 30 min. one looked to be a big one right in tight to Possession. That was all over when the super pod of killer whales came through, they put on a show right be side our boat I got some great pictures.. not good for fishing though.. we stuck it out there and waited till 9:30am for one big rod pumper that just never stuck.. and that was it for us.. no other hits..

Had to battle with some rookie fishermen on Sunday there.. going around the Possession reef, being the out side boat to the reef another boat right be side us kept pinching us into the reef, he had lots of room to the right of him, no need to push me out into the reef..... I could see he did not have a chart plotter of any kind.. just a tiny little depth sounder that I could see.. so I leaned over towards him and told him that you are pinching me over into the reef and to veer to the right.. he did not like my comment.. and in disrespect he came even closer pretty much right in front/beside our boat ! he goes to put his near side line down.. and I was in disbelief cause his flasher and chovie rig is right behind my Scotty line !! literally 5 feet from my boat!!in between my Scotty wire line and my rod line !! LOL... duuu! he proceeds to drop his line !! I'm like you got to be kidding me..!! so now he had successfully pushed me into 40ft of water right over the reef..!! I had to bring all my rods up...! I had to give him an ear full for that stunt... motoring away from him.. I see his rod that he just put down pumping..! he thinks he has a fish on !! he picks it up and sets the hook, line peeling off his reel.! LOL.. and starts laughing and mocking me !! Iam like I seriously I need a video camera here !! cause he has just snagged my line obviously !! So I am like.. okay, this is just to good !! so I proceed to re bait my other rod and slowly put that down, laughing my head off at this guy who still thinks he's got a fish on from right under me! LOL... his line slowly comes around and is now pointing directly to my rod !! LOL... he is not laughing any more ! LOL... Heheheheh.. so I pick up the rod, reel it in, had to snip every thing.. it was a big ball of mess... re tie every thing back onto his main line and flasher and tossed it back at him and yelled ! " Hey NICE BARBED HOOK BUDDY!!"

Now for idiot #2.... Iam trolling straight into the flood tide up the tack from Possession.. I look up and there is this boat with two young guys in it trolling very fast down the current in the opposite direction passing right by us literally 10feet from our side of the boat !! They had no idea how strong the current was and that it was pushing them side ways into my boat as well !!!.. this happened very fast.. I look up and there practically drifted right into us and pass by us.. sure enough... our two inside canon balls snag up !! wire line screaming off my Scotty !! I had to quickly run back to the kicker and turn it right down and make a sharp 90 degree turn... wishing with 4 lines and now 3 are all now straight up and down underneath the boat the current just pushed them all into one big ball !!!... in untangling the canon balls... his other rod some how got tangled under my boat and was caught up in the kicker prop !!! to the point where the kicker just died out !!! LOL.. So I had a 6 rod tangle !!, behind my boat and caught up in the kicker prop with a canon ball hook up all at the same time !! This was my worst tangle I have ever had in my life !!!! I literally had to snip every swivel and hook off of every thing !!... These two young guys ended up loosing there canon ball, a lot of wire line, a flasher and chovie rig and a fare bit of line off his reel !.. wow.. a big lesson learned for them..! took me over 30 min. to re group after that mess...

Two boat hook ups into my boat in one day was more than enough for me... was just one of those days !

Hey Rock, get away from the crowds - it's just not worth all the hazzle. I'd rather not catch a fish than dealing with BS like this...

Out today 27lb , 18lb and two wild Coho about 6lb secratary and the Trap all 40 to 55 ft green on green.

Rick

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Hey Rock, get away from the crowds - it's just not worth all the hazzle. I'd rather not catch a fish than dealing with BS like this...

I usually never fish there, not the spot I always fish.. Sunday was a very good reminder why I don't fish there... lol..

wkends always seem to be worse there, but there is one guy out there in a big striper, always seems to be by himself and is constantly pushing you off your tack, i guess he figures bigger gets the right of way, well i got a couple big rocks i dont need in my boat, lol, just kidding i would never do that, but the swear jar is getting really full

Couple weeks ago, or maybe more? I usually fish kone zone with 6ft of leader behind DR line. This guy comes like 10ft from out boat... cost him flasher and all.
Oh well

gonefishingsign.gif

Some guys just don't get it. You really have to anticipate the other guys line of travel. I got caught up in a ball of boats where nobody was giving any way. I needed to make a move and quickly or I was going to end up on the reef. I just did a 90 and tucked in behind another smaller boat. Boy did he look worried. Oh well. Like was said before. If your going to fish the crowd then you'd better be ready to jocky for position.

I don't enjoy it out there anymore and would rather drive a couple of hours to stay away from the crowds. I would rather cathc less fish than fish amongst these guys. They just don't know anything better is what I figure. Maybe a couple of suggestions would help - 1. stick to a tack trolling (e.g. commit to a direction/course of travel and don't decide last minute to move from it), 2. don't run full trottle 25 ft from a boat. It used to be if you take off from a fishing hole you do it away from other boats and run outside a good distance. If you come into a hole near shore you stop before coming into boats. I see guides now running full trottle close by others. Before I know it I will be fishing Lucy island in Rupert to stay away from the masses.

You mean I shouldn't come into the crowd like this?

striperfront.jpg

Some as@#$hole buzzed me the other day off Church. He was no more than 15' off my port side.

People just don't get it. He had a big sh$%^t eating grin on too. I really think they just don't get it.:(

If not for some sort of etiquette , you'd think they would have some sence of safety.

IMHO

thanks for the awesome day out there!they had a lot of fun and can't wait to come back next year and do it again with ya! going out tommorrow and give it another go.

Landed a nice 22 pound spring early on Monday at Church but no other encounters. Broke a recent bad luck streak.

Rock just be thank ful you are only out there a bit I have to deal with that crap every fricken day!!!!!!!!!!!!this is the first year I have had 2 fish cut off by idiots who gave me no room to move one guy trolled right past me and cut it off on his downrigger, when I asked him at the dock what the heck he was doing as he day lauched his brand new 26 ft boat he replied I didnt know you had a fish on "all I saw was the rod high in the air bouncing" WTF do you think maybe it was a fish!!!!!!

As for fishing this week friday great sat sat was a right off and sunday was ok monday was awsome the pics below are from friday and monday.

This was a big group charter with 3 boats 2 over 30
Sookesalmon2009060.jpg

this was mondays fish biggest is a 32,28,24,18
Sookesalmon2009064.jpg

Out to get them again today

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by TheRock

Nice to see the forum back up quick.. damn hackers...

Was out yesterday (Sunday) fished Possession/Sec. first light.. saw 3-4 fish landed in the first 30 min. one looked to be a big one right in tight to Possession. That was all over when the super pod of killer whales came through, they put on a show right be side our boat I got some great pictures.. not good for fishing though.. we stuck it out there and waited till 9:30am for one big rod pumper that just never stuck.. and that was it for us.. no other hits..

Had to battle with some rookie fishermen on Sunday there.. going around the Possession reef, being the out side boat to the reef another boat right be side us kept pinching us into the reef, he had lots of room to the right of him, no need to push me out into the reef..... I could see he did not have a chart plotter of any kind.. just a tiny little depth sounder that I could see.. so I leaned over towards him and told him that you are pinching me over into the reef and to veer to the right.. he did not like my comment.. and in disrespect he came even closer pretty much right in front/beside our boat ! he goes to put his near side line down.. and I was in disbelief cause his flasher and chovie rig is right behind my Scotty line !! literally 5 feet from my boat!!in between my Scotty wire line and my rod line !! LOL... duuu! he proceeds to drop his line !! I'm like you got to be kidding me..!! so now he had successfully pushed me into 40ft of water right over the reef..!! I had to bring all my rods up...! I had to give him an ear full for that stunt... motoring away from him.. I see his rod that he just put down pumping..! he thinks he has a fish on !! he picks it up and sets the hook, line peeling off his reel.! LOL.. and starts laughing and mocking me !! Iam like I seriously I need a video camera here !! cause he has just snagged my line obviously !! So I am like.. okay, this is just to good !! so I proceed to re bait my other rod and slowly put that down, laughing my head off at this guy who still thinks he's got a fish on from right under me! LOL... his line slowly comes around and is now pointing directly to my rod !! LOL... he is not laughing any more ! LOL... Heheheheh.. so I pick up the rod, reel it in, had to snip every thing.. it was a big ball of mess... re tie every thing back onto his main line and flasher and tossed it back at him and yelled ! " Hey NICE BARBED HOOK BUDDY!!"

Now for idiot #2.... Iam trolling straight into the flood tide up the tack from Possession.. I look up and there is this boat with two young guys in it trolling very fast down the current in the opposite direction passing right by us literally 10feet from our side of the boat !! They had no idea how strong the current was and that it was pushing them side ways into my boat as well !!!.. this happened very fast.. I look up and there practically drifted right into us and pass by us.. sure enough... our two inside canon balls snag up !! wire line screaming off my Scotty !! I had to quickly run back to the kicker and turn it right down and make a sharp 90 degree turn... wishing with 4 lines and now 3 are all now straight up and down underneath the boat the current just pushed them all into one big ball !!!... in untangling the canon balls... his other rod some how got tangled under my boat and was caught up in the kicker prop !!! to the point where the kicker just died out !!! LOL.. So I had a 6 rod tangle !!, behind my boat and caught up in the kicker prop with a canon ball hook up all at the same time !! This was my worst tangle I have ever had in my life !!!! I literally had to snip every swivel and hook off of every thing !!... These two young guys ended up loosing there canon ball, a lot of wire line, a flasher and chovie rig and a fare bit of line off his reel !.. wow.. a big lesson learned for them..! took me over 30 min. to re group after that mess...

Two boat hook ups into my boat in one day was more than enough for me... was just one of those days !
[:o)]

BUDDY, YOU ARE A FRIGGIN CLOWN.AFTER NEARLY 30 YEARS OF FISHING IN THE SOOKE REGION I THINK WE KNOW THE DIFFENCE BETWEEN A FISH OR A
F$%#&N IDIOT AT THE OTHER END OF OUR LINE!!! PERHAPS YOU SHOULD GET A NEW DRIVER (SOMEONE OTHER THAN YOUR 90 YR. OLD POP????)PROBABLY DON'T HAVE ANYONE..... IF YOU'RE HAVING SO MANY RUN INS ON THE WATER PERHAPS YOU NEED TO TAKE ANOTHER LOOK AT YOUR NAVIGATIONAL SKILLS...OH...THAT'S
B-O-A-T-I-N-G FROM THE CORNER OF THE EARTH YOU ARE FROM.

Back