Sooke Report -- 2008 season

hey poe (or anyone that knows),

does sooke harbour marina still have their launch? Thought I would ask as I can see where you are in your pic. I used to go there all the time until all the condos were built...

Hey guys, get out if you can now! It probably doesn't get any better this year anymore in Sooke. And the weather coorperates now too. 4 salmon bites (countless dogfish), 3 hooked, 2 landed: 20# and 17#, trap between 70 and 85'. I seem to hit fish pretty consistent now and have seen several others landing fish. I even could have outfished Wolf today if I had landed that third beast...damn! :D He had two in the boat today and even got to fish himself as he told me - who would have thought that, he's not just a good teacher...:D

quote:Originally posted by Trowser

hey poe (or anyone that knows),

does sooke harbour marina still have their launch? Thought I would ask as I can see where you are in your pic. I used to go there all the time until all the condos were built...

That is Sooke harbour marina but you cannot launch from there. Jox Docks next door has a decent launch site ever since they dredged it last year. $10 per launch includes water and parking for your boat and tailer.

Chris was that you in the truck who I chatted to???? if it was why didnt you introduce your self???? did you see that big boston whaler??? in the yard???
Apperentlly they were coming back from renny at 4 pm last night and didnt slow down for that swith back at sombrio and it flipped over the imbankment and took out the back of his chev(2500) as well that truck seemed a little light for a 3 axle trailer with a whaler with twin power he said the boat comes in at 12000 lbs loaded???
it was a wreck thats for sure a real shame thank god the people were ok!!!!!

For the fishing

yes it has been good out there but you do have to work for them the whales kinda screwed up the rest of the morning for us the boys west didnt get much as it was very slow as the whales really worked the area bad.As for depths I am still getting them a bit deeper.

It was a well deserved day off to spend with a buddy had a nice sooke coffee and a bevie by 8 am to celebrate our first fish LOL LOL almost a year since I personally got to land a fish low 20s but still fun and nice weather compared to friday!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Yes, that was me Roy. You seemed in a rush - will chat another time! Boy oh boy, I saw that Boston Whaler - probably a 26', broke a chunk fibreglass on one side, heavy cracking on the underside from what I could see, one of the twin 200hp (?) mercs looked pretty bad, the hard top and steel posts completely broken, the trailer had fenders missing - that must have been a desaster! If that was my boat I probably would have just kept on driving to not look at the mess... What did they want in Sunny Shores though? And if it came off the trailer during the accident, how on earth did they get it back on? They must have called a crane!

BTW, what has come of the once so nice and neat Sunny Shores Campground and Marina? I haven't spent any time there for years and now I took the family out camping for the weekend. Looks and feels run down and some really weird looking and smelling people run around there at 2 AM... And the marina floats have seen way better days too. Too bad because I had this place in good memory...

Jim at SS and his big truck with a crane and 2 tow trucks hauled it onto jims trailer then they put it back on the other guys trailer it was a 28 ft with twin 225 optis on it.

As for the marina I think they are looking to sell and not putting too much effort into fixing it up I wouldnt if you know your hard work isnt going to last seemes kinda pointless and dont blame them moorage sure went up though.

wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Fished tonight from 4 pm until 7 30 pm, landed a 31,25, and 23 # off Possesion, saw 3 other fish caught. Word on the street was that there was an awesome bite on Sat. night between 5 30pm and 6 30pm. We got our fish on a red hot spot and blue green chrome head, 6.5 ft leader at 78 ft.

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Boy oh boy, I saw that Boston Whaler

We passed by that boat on route to Renfrew Sat night. Came around the corner, cops, tow truck, couple of dazed looking guys. As Wolf says, they couldn't stop on the big hill, brakes locked, four wheel slide, with trailer pushing them down hill. Truck slid sideways, trailer turned, boat came off, rolled twice I believe before landing on the side of the road, over the concrete divider. 10 feet further, and it would have been over the cliff (20'?) to road below, then a cliff again below that. So, I guess they are lucky it didn't roll further...and probably even more lucky that it came off the trailer off the road, rather than onto them or pushing them off the road. My friend has pics, will post them tomorrow. Scary stuff.

Road was closed for a while after, we got lucky to get through.

Fishing Sunday was awesome, first trip out to the Bank in my Campion...great day.

thanks Poe, yeah I've been to Jock's once a couple years ago.. didn't go back because the launch was so shallow... we have an 18' and it was pretty bad to launch it back then.

trap shack was on fire this morning. 23#,28#, lost another. lots of fish being taken. water was like glass out there. good start to holidays :D:D

Fished the trap this am, by myself. Hit a true screamer. Fish spooled me out. No fun playing tug of war when your down to to the knot. I tried to turn the boat but with the second line dangling off the second downrigger it made its way into the kicker prop hence the tug of war. Note to self throw away the 2000 Gt and reload the 4000 Gt. Good to see alot of fish being hooked up today almost like a was a few years ago. Cheers Fc

So there's a fish out there with a flasher and 300yds of line hanging off his mouth? Wouldn't that be something getting it.
BTW where you throwing that 2000gt :D:D:D
cheers
quote:Originally posted by fah cups

Fished the trap this am, by myself. Hit a true screamer. Fish spooled me out. No fun playing tug of war when your down to to the knot. I tried to turn the boat but with the second line dangling off the second downrigger it made its way into the kicker prop hence the tug of war. Note to self throw away the 2000 Gt and reload the 4000 Gt. Good to see alot of fish being hooked up today almost like a was a few years ago. Cheers Fc

gonefishingsign.gif

What boat were you in Gypseas? I was in the Boston whaler...Lost a fish to a rookie mistake..forgot to re=tie after a dogfish [:p]

The evening at Sooke was rather incredible.

Pictuesofme290.jpg

anyone been out in the last couple days? hopefully the fish havent left already[:p], heading out in the morning

Was out last night and worked Church and the Bedfords. Not a bite and did not see anyone else getting anything. Not sure if the Trap was any better.

Was at otter from 2 pm to dusk. Seen one caught, heard of anouther, Had couple strikes leaving half a choive but they were clean bites so maybe doggies.

Nice afternoon any ways in the sun.

Back