Sooke Report -- 2008 season

quote:Originally posted by Kramer

Total of 6 rods each fishing for 10 hours and only one strike.

You fish 6 rods?

Highliner
Fish2-2.gif

Finally, some big smiles at the wharf,all this doom and gloom was getting contagious,good job Roy.Keep the pictures and reports coming.I really enjoy them.Thanks,Dan

Got out yesterday with chris73...good day for us all in all - chris had a screamer on early that broke the leader after a minute or so..lost one other smaller one later on, but I landed a 18, 16, and he pulled a 16.5 as well. All around Trap 65-85 on anchovy. Not going to see much better conditions out there. Saw which I assume was the 39 that came in at Trap..they were happy as hell. But yes, not too much else out there.

foggy017Medium.jpg

Nice fish deewar25 sounds like lady luck was on your side today,, thx for sharin..

IMG_1021-1.jpg

I just got back from Tofino and the fishing up there is insane. 4 hour charters are limiting out with 6-8 springs each. Every boat is coming back with limits of big fish.It is like fishing was 20 years ago. My question is how can the fishing up there be so different from what we are seeing down here? Can the hattchery program up there be that much better?

I would have to say they just haven't made it around the corner yet.. Lets just give them some time... "I hope"

IMG_1021-1.jpg

Nice photo, Deewar25. Wonder which excellent photographer shot this :D
Yeah, was a good day for a change out at Sooke yesterday - for us. Not much luck involved - pure skill! After all it was BC's birthday - it better had a good fishing party going for us! ;)

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

I just got back from Tofino and the fishing up there is insane... My question is how can the fishing up there be so different from what we are seeing down here? Can the hattchery program up there be that much better?

Not sure if there's any truth to this but the last few days I've been out water temps have only been 48.5-49F. Seems kind of cold for this time of year. All the bait I've seen lately has been real small too, not sure if that's a water temp thing or not.

yeah chris, good thing that kind gentleman on the next boat was willing to take a picture for me since you didn't know how to! JK

On a side note...not often you get awesome mornings like yesterday was, so here are a couple of scenaries to go with it. The 2nd one was something I've never seen before - rainbow out of fog..

foggy006Medium.jpg

foggy013Medium.jpg

Good for the crew today saw a few fish caught got mine downn deeper today at 90 ft the green/blue chrome head seems to be hot right now.
man was it nice bit of a SE came up but still nice heres the pic.

Sookesalmon2009020.jpg

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Was out twice on the weekend and didn't even get a hit.. Talked to lots of top rods out there with the same answer.. nada.

Tournament Proven !

Was out today for a few hours. Worked the Bechey-Secretary tack. Only used one piece of bait and it looked better after the 4 hours in the water than it did before I put it down. Did not see a single fish caught. Maybe tomorrow....sob sob.

What a nice day to be on the water killer whales every where by 7:30 am sunny and warm got lucky and got a 24 lber but I was scraping gravel to get it!!!!! saw a few caught but not very many still see guys going out to the tide lines WTF I thoght sockeye were closed??????????
Hopefully better tommorow and no whales!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Good for the crew today saw a few fish caught got mine downn deeper today at 90 ft the green/blue chrome head seems to be hot right now.

Pretty cool whan a guide shares that kind of info.

Wolf, if even you have to scrape gravel to catch something what do we normalos have to scrape to get something, he? 6' below bottom?

Good one chris LOL ill explain from what I have learned regarding the killer whales the springs scatter to kelp and go deep thats why I get right near the bottom and see what happens it worked for me today not always but sometimes

good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:You might even snag a flattie. Ya never know
I remember the last time I snagged a fattie by accident. I was in a bar in Port Hardy, it was almost closing time, I was drunk and really lonely and well one thing led to another....oh wait you said flattie. Never mind!

Back