Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Awesome DVL always good to see people taking out kids as they are the future most kids just want to play video games....

Had a challenging crew today LOL an ALL woman group they kept me on my toes thats for sure had a Blast with them 3 of them never been on the west coast or salmon fishing and they all go to play a fish got into a few of them but only managed to land 3 as the fish didnt want to cooperate, The woman did a great job with them landing a nice 25 16,9 lber weather was beautiful all day only hiccup was the fog rolling in by mid morning but other than that epic day for sooke......

Was about to leave as time was up and WHAP a huge hit off a reef I like didn't stick eeerrrr so said to them "I HAVE to make one more pass "reset bait made the same pass again and glad we did WHAP AGAIN !!!!!. The woman was the keener who wanted to fish so she was VERY happy with her first salmon being the biggest of the day

Attachments

• 7569.jpg
    7569.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 631
Well done Wolfie!

Tough morning today seemed the were short hitting.Missed 3. Had one big one come 3 times for the bait just mouthing it before grabbing on just long enough for me to know it was REAL heavy. 60ft Betsy anchovy. Had a nice one on at 6:30 off aldrige on my Longstone center rod with just a 4 ounce weight and anchovy at 23 pulls. What a rush it is when you hook into a spring like that!

Cheers KK

KK--you and Wolf are making me feel better and better although he has an excuse with the inexperienced charter guests. We had 10 fish on and only 2 made it all the way into the boat. 2 of the missed ones were my fault as I was trying a new knot on some of the gear (I will never use that one again) and they broke at the knot but the rest just seemed to spit the hook and vamonos amigos. Still I had great company and it was a great way to spend Canada Day.
T2

Put the boat in the marina this morning, for the first trip of year. We headed out of the harbour at about 6:30, fished across the bluffs, trailer park and around otter. A few tacks back and forth between the point and 3rd rock and nothing; lots of boats and saw zero hook ups! So we decided to go back around the point and troll back through the trailer park, while we decided where to go next. Finally saw a net come out around 10, then a few more, so decided to ‘stick and stay…’. Crossed over the hump, at otter, about 11:00 and the rod tip started tapping away; I jumped on it (though my partner may respond there were elbows and hip checks involved!) Fish took 3 great runs, one after another, until it was just about right under two guys in a tinny; it surfaced right away so I think they got a good look at it. A few minutes later it came to the boat for the first time, my partner had cleared all the other gear, and one swoop with the net and first fish of the year, was boated! Anchovy with green head and flasher, one other strike and that was it, packed it in at noon. Slow day but nice to put one decent one board, for the first trip of the year! It weighed in at ~23lb (…though…!!!). Thanks Casper, always a great day!

Attachments

• Sooke July 1 cleaning table.jpg
    Sooke July 1 cleaning table.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 456
Fished secretary got a 26lb spring at 86ft on rigger

Attachments

• IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 435
Last edited by a moderator:
I jumped on it (though my partner may respond there were elbows and hip checks involved!)
Just home from hospital and they asked what happened to me? Told them I was fishing with a guy that wanted his first fish of the year. LOL. By the way nice coho. Good first trip 007. Good to see that your record of never been skunked on the first trip is still intact. Hopefully many more big ones to come.

Launched at 6ish. Went straight to Otter, and trolled around there for a few hours. No luck, no hits. Went around the corner towards the trailer park at 1030ish. Still no action, so we packed up and went home. I saw lots of boats, but no nets out. I lost my net though, I forgot to bring it in.
Sounds like I should have stuck around a little longer, I guess I left before the bite came on....

I have to admit it was "DEAD" from 6-10 never saw or heard a fish caught, and there was a ton of boats out there. Longest time I have seem in a long time that no one had a fish. About 11 there was the odd net out and fish being caught. Didn't see anything big but a least there was signs of life. Was presently surprised at the dock and saw about 6-8 nice size springs.

Good reports folks, thanks. I'm glad I was lazy and slept in, had breakfast, sipped my coffee, and mozied on out to Otter around 12. Put the gear down and had a solid fish on within 5 minutes but lost it after it's second run away from the boat. Caught a few smaller guys after that, one that could've been a coho or sockeye but I couldn't quite tell before I released it.

Set up for halibut and caught dogfish, pacific cod (big enough for the cooler), a couple juvenile black cod, and some sort of sole. No hali.

Then got into a couple more nice chinook on the way back past Otter around 8 or 9pm before the Orcas went by. One of the chinook I let flip itself out of the net and get away but we managed to bring the other one into the boat. 15.4lbs.

edit: I forgot to mention; for the first time this year I noticed a fish launching itself across the surface, making multiple leaps like it was shaking lice off (landing on it's side). Is this behaviour indicative of coho or sockeye more so than chinook?

Also, while swearing at the tide-line of weeds fouling my halibut gear I noticed a tubesnout in the mix. Great day for species.

Good reports folks, thanks. I'm glad I was lazy and slept in, had breakfast, sipped my coffee, and mozied on out to Otter around 12. Put the gear down and had a solid fish on within 5 minutes but lost it after it's second run away from the boat. Caught a few smaller guys after that, one that could've been a coho or sockeye but I couldn't quite tell before I released it.

Set up for halibut and caught dogfish, pacific cod (big enough for the cooler), a couple juvenile black cod, and some sort of sole. No hali.

Then got into a couple more nice chinook on the way back past Otter around 8 or 9pm before the Orcas went by. One of the chinook I let flip itself out of the net and get away but we managed to bring the other one into the boat. 15.4lbs.

edit: I forgot to mention; for the first time this year I noticed a fish launching itself across the surface, making multiple leaps like it was shaking lice off (landing on it's side). Is this behaviour indicative of coho or sockeye more so than chinook?

Also, while swearing at the tide-line of weeds fouling my halibut gear I noticed a tubesnout in the mix. Great day for species.

I saw you out there from my buddy s little dinghy boat...yeah...pretty good view of whales...truly impressive...we had a fish strike at 7 30ish, lost it. will try it again soon.

Out Monday night for a quick fish with one of my boys ,6-9 pm. Beachy head, aldrige point. He lost the first one mid teens then a double header at 8:30 I tried to set the hook on the first one lost it while second one hit he picks up rod and plays for 15 min right into net #19 pounds and 85 cm.
He's caught lots of salmon but this is the first one off any size ,and and he did it all Set the roll on the anchovey let the rigger out , set the drag , set the hook and was driveing the boat when it hit . He aways loved fishing before but now he's really pumped !!

Seagirt that sounds like the first sign of sockeye!!!! WHOOP I sure hope so!!!! Must admit funky weather last couple of day from fog to yesterdays SE wind and now today GALES west glad i have the day off!!!! SO had a group from south of us yesterday the owman has never been salmon fishing so away we go make our first couple of passes bam fish on the husband reels it in to "show" the wife how to do it as soon as we get it in the hook snaps of wow LUCKY!!!#0 mins later bam fish on again and this one is another pissed of angry fish like the first one first time ver using knuckle busters.... and well lets say she got a lil dusted and reel had a "tiny" nest which i was able to get undone....whew the whole time it was running and into prop wash one angry fish finally landed.
2 awesome clean springs 23,24.....when we cleaned them BOTH were pure white springs.....here is a picture

On another note one of the guides out there kept saying on the VHF he had a fish well over 40 lbs clients were WOW thats a nice fish for these waters I said YES it is but who knows ... well heard it was a 30 ber on the fitters scale oooopppppsssss

Attachments

• 7840.jpg
    7840.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 583
edit: I forgot to mention; for the first time this year I noticed a fish launching itself across the surface, making multiple leaps like it was shaking lice off (landing on it's side). Is this behaviour indicative of coho or sockeye more so than chinook?QUOTE]

sounds like a sockeye. sometimes they sort of surf on their sides as they re-enter the water.

The early Sockeye through the strait are typically The Lake Washington runs. Not a large run and no openings in them.

Hey Wolf I'm the only Sooke guide that can say I have a fish over 40 this year so far. I just have to be careful as to how I say it...such as...I'm the only guide to pick up a 40 plus....or I'm the only guide to have a 40 plus in the boat this summer....then hope they don't ask any questions!!! LOL

LOL LOL yup.... also every fish we lose is at least close to a 40 ya know you never here a guy say the fish I lost was small.... its always it was fricken huge!!!!

edit: I forgot to mention; for the first time this year I noticed a fish launching itself across the surface, making multiple leaps like it was shaking lice off (landing on it's side). Is this behaviour indicative of coho or sockeye more so than chinook?QUOTE]

sounds like a sockeye. sometimes they sort of surf on their sides as they re-enter the water.

i've noticed the coho up in the rupert area do this quite often... wouldn't be suprised if the pinks do it as well....

Back