Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Broke the streak of bad luck yesterday finally and got a couple of fish in the boat. Fished 11-6 checking in at Possesion in the fog but eventually deciding to go to Otter. I had never fished Otter, I usually go left, so fun to fish a new spot for me, although both my fishing buddies have done time there. The fishing wasn't super hot, but we were getting action, so better than the last few trips out. We managed to hook up a couple of decent teens that didn't didn't stick, lost them both during good fights...so frustrating, but OK. Picked up 8 pounder to keep us going. We also picked up a smallish mystery salmon...maybe a sockeye, that was a healthy release.

Near the end of the day we got a serious strike, popping the pin and moving with mass on the end of the line. The fish was taking good runs and taking lots of line, finally coming up 200 feet behind the boat. The chop on the water and wind made it so we couldn't really get an idea of the size of the fish, but we could tell it was decent. Another 5 minutes of play time and it was time to get this fish in the boat, it was done fighting. Omar put the boat where it needed to be, and Jon (with big gangly arms could have probably netted it three boat lengths away) netted it perfectly.

Turned out to be a nice 22 pound male red spring, had nothing in its stomach. We caught it in over a hundred feet of water on anchovie, with a purple glow jellyfish flasher.

Awesome day on the water, awesome fish, such a good time on the water with buddies...and if you saw us whooping and hi-five'n each other...don't judge us...been awhile since we landed such beautiful fish.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Out last night for evening fishing with the wife. One nice 12 lbr at 6:30 just past the head (trap side) at 77ft on chovie. Stomach was full of 5'' anchovie, not sure where this guy was planning on putting one more. :eek:

Absolutely deadly morning at the head. Thick fog, but once the bite turned on it was 5 fish on in a few hours. 24 was the largest and one we lost (had to choose between the fish and being on the rocks) must have been 20. Lots of boats catching fish. Our magic number was 85...all 5 fish were at that depth.

I stand by my earlier hypothesis that the algae bloom irritated and kept the fish off feeding, so they are making up for lost time now!

Absolutely deadly morning at the head. Thick fog, but once the bite turned on it was 5 fish on in a few hours. 24 was the largest and one we lost (had to choose between the fish and being on the rocks) must have been 20. Lots of boats catching fish. Our magic number was 85...all 5 fish were at that depth.

I stand by my earlier hypothesis that the algae bloom irritated and kept the fish off feeding, so they are making up for lost time now!

That is an awesome news! Where did you go?

Thanks for sharing your info.

Out this AM 3 12 pound springs first pass. Got to watch the first two of them come right on the depthsounder and take the bait off the downrigger. So cool.

Second pass I got a solid fish on at 45ft and it sulked and held deep for a bit before charging the boat and showing itself about 20 ft away and spitting the hook back at me. Fish was around 30. Then around 10am my old man nailed a nice 20 pounder at 70ft we sent back healthy. All on chovies.

Never kept a fish so no idea if they had food.

Talked to 6 different anglers today who said they havent cleaned a fish with bait in it for a few weeks.

-KK

Have not been out since last Sunday, but it sounds like the more typical fishing patterns and larger Chinook being caught in numbers is returning.

Interesting theory on the Algae Bloom and Dirty Water from all the wind and waves we had had for a few weeks washing the shore and stirring up the bottom in shallows effecting the salmon feeding and thus fishing. Unusual to see the kicker wash being a constant brown color and Salmon empty.

First time out in the boat in three weeks, fished solo out at the head. Water condition were windy, foggy and rough!! Started at 7-11am first hit came at 10, reel was screaming off the clip managed to get close to the boat three times only to run out line every time and finally spit the hook. Lots of fight in the fish 20 lbs plus. Trolled back to the same spot and had a hit that didn't stick. Tide was really pushing at the end with the wind. Bait had the hits today. Good to back on the water from surgery.

Hey dvl, was out out for a quick eve fish with a buddy @ otter yesterday. We headed towards you guys when we heard the whooping, we were a long ways away but we picked up our only fish (teener) as you were playing that one. I didn't clean it as I was tying up boat so not sure what it was eating, took chovey. Sure was a nice evening on the water.

WAS a lot better today but a bit rough but the guys on the wolf manged to get into them very well, after the last week, 100% turn around first limit of the year biggest was 21 lbs all on chovies mid water.
out again tomorrow..
Good luck Wolf

Hey dvl, was out out for a quick eve fish with a buddy @ otter yesterday. We headed towards you guys when we heard the whooping.

Yeah...we got a little carried away in the moment, and it was a great fighter...and first one in awhile. Nice to see the fishing picking up!

Was out today from 7:30-noon, was foggy windy so stayed in Becher Bay with lots of other boats. Had a double header near Bedford at 9, partner lost his, mine was around 15. Back at the dock saw 6 other similar size fish being cleaned. Seems Aldridge and head were good today.

Another FINE day out on the water seen quite a few fish caught crew on the boat got 4 today all teeners and a halibut to boot in mid water???? 60 ft on rigger in 100 ft of water...
seemed the green combo was working today where purple was on yesterday....

good luck Wolf

Took my brother out today and caught 3 springs. 2 wild and 1 hatchery. All in 100ft+ water on spoons. Around otter In the tide rip. forgot bait didn't really matter still got enough for meimage.jpg

Another FINE day out on the water seen quite a few fish caught crew on the boat got 4 today all teeners and a halibut to boot in mid water???? 60 ft on rigger in 100 ft of water...
seemed the green combo was working today where purple was on yesterday....

good luck Wolf

purple was on today I found.... Was that you u I saw at trap say around mid morning... Turn your radio in skinny guy LOL... Tried to call you on CH6...

We had some fish today as well ...Weird one though went out Yamaha T8 kicker would not shift...Found the screw that attached the shift cable housing rattled off...Apparently this a known issue... What **** off one screw and the thing is totally useless...

Was Ok today just trolled with main so whatever...

No i wasnt at Trap i was west
sort of....

Fished 5-12 today, one small one early and then nothing till about 11. Was at the Trap Shack and was forced to make a sharp turn and hammered the throttle to bring the gear up and BAM. Thought I had hooked bottom. Nope double header in the middle of a bunch of boats. Thanks to some good skippers everyone gave us room and we landed these beauties. Kind of a mixed bag as far as weather goes dark, then sunny then foggy bright sunshine then rain.

Attachments

• IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 460
Fished the Can today in depths of 45' using Anchovy as we were watching bait boil on the surface. Managed to land a 12lbs, 10lbs and 8lbs Springs this afternoon. All 3 caught within a half hour window CAM03430.jpgCAM03429.jpgCAM03425.jpg

Casper , I was right behind you - nice fish. I went back through that spot a couple times hoping to find another after you pulled in those two. Didn't see much more than your fish coming up.

Fished 6-1 today with only one to show for it. Nice 12 1/2 pounder, but for us not crazy busy in the fish department.

Had that bite you in the butt comment last week when I told a friend we never lose our rigger weights...lost three today! One I brought it up for the second time and popped off my terminal gear, one my son hung on a reef when he was busy playing with the radio instead of watching the chart plotter, and one was after losing one on a reef...my fishing buddy forgot to see how much line was left...apparently not more than 115 feet. Time to break out the mould

Got to use the new kill bag...and have some serious doubts about getting my tyee in there this year...not sure what I will do then...LOL.

Back