Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Not sure I buy it either...because you can't compress a liquid..

A cubic foot of air down deep will be reduced in size the deeper you go......a cubic foot of water stays the same size no matter what depth.

Any air chamber will be affected by pressure as you go down ...so you have to equalize the pressure with more air......but if the air chamber is equalized to the surrounding water pressure then there is no pressure problem.

Fish with swim bladders will have to contend with that.....

ironically.......the area where you will notice the greatest degree of pressure fluctuations is in the first 50 feet....

Well after the weekend of slow fishing last 2 days were a bit better manged a few in the box a day with a few lost as well sucks when BANG off the rigger runs for a bit then poof gone??? but oh well thats fishing got 2 larger yesterday but man were they beat up both fish had older wounds from a seal or whale fish is on the left and this was the "good" side the other side was way worse, this is a few ive seen this year???? with the tea color water and banged up fish starting to be a weird year already???
hopefully this is the start of better things to come sounds like more and more are showing up....

Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• 6140.jpg
    6140.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 532
**** sorry guys dont know how to make bigger....

Well after the weekend of slow fishing last 2 days were a bit better manged a few in the box a day with a few lost as well sucks when BANG off the rigger runs for a bit then poof gone??? but oh well thats fishing got 2 larger yesterday but man were they beat up both fish had older wounds from a seal or whale fish is on the left and this was the "good" side the other side was way worse, this is a few ive seen this year???? with the tea color water and banged up fish starting to be a weird year already???
hopefully this is the start of better things to come sounds like more and more are showing up....

Good luck Wolf

Normally when I see beat up fish they are the tail end of a run/push of fish, they're the runty stragglers. Needs another big full moon to get fish moving again, but heard it's not exactly hot up in renfrew either, so who knows?

I did end up getting out last night, picked up two, 11lbs each. 75ft on rigger/bait/90ft water between bluffs and otter. very long leaders.

Had a pretty good solo fish off beechie yesterday. When i arrived, there were 4 guys cleaning 4 great salmon from 15-27 lbs. the only little bite happened at about 3:30, with the boat next to me getting one, me getting an 11 lb'r, and then loosing a mid-teens after a great fight (6 jumps or so). That all happened within a half hour or so, then nothing for anyone i saw or heard until i left at 8.

So here's a theory: Perhaps the tea coloured algae bloom was a Chaetoceros (http://www.eos.ubc.ca/research/phytoplankton/diatoms/centric/chaetoceros/chaetoceros_genus.html ), and because it is an irritant it is generally keeping the fish off feeding? The fish i cleaned had absolutely nothing in the stomach. No bones, nada. The bite was really brief, so they are just coming back to feed. If so, my predicition is that the fish are there and just coming back to actively feeding, and today and tomorrow will be good days. What do you think?

What tide was that at 3:30pm ?

I fished a slack the other day where the bite lasted 45 minutes and that was it......

Last edited by a moderator:
So here's a theory: Perhaps the tea coloured algae bloom was a Chaetoceros (http://www.eos.ubc.ca/research/phytoplankton/diatoms/centric/chaetoceros/chaetoceros_genus.html ), and because it is an irritant it is generally keeping the fish off feeding? The fish i cleaned had absolutely nothing in the stomach. No bones, nada. The bite was really brief, so they are just coming back to feed. If so, my predicition is that the fish are there and just coming back to actively feeding, and today and tomorrow will be good days. What do you think?

Very interesting theory. A 16lb that I picked up last night off Esquimalt also had absolutely nothing in it's stomach.

The bite was pretty much at high-slack.

Andrew, I was speaking with a biologist fishing buddy about the bloom and dead water. He suggested that Chaetoceros is a brown algae, like the bloom. I believe it's fairly rare in the ocean.

ahh 3:30 we just missed the bite. I figure we saw the gambler with his 4 nice fish as we were going out at noon. Got excited that fishing had picked up. fished 12-3 I had a feeling it was just going to be one of those quick bite on days. ran 5ft leader on spoon on one side bait on 3ft on the other. ran gear at 50-80. heard someone on the radio saying there was a orca actually in the bay, didn't see anything. finally our first trip out, was nice just to get out. fish would have been bonus but I'm patient (sort of). :)

We fished 7:00am until noon and had an absolutely splendid day! Decided to avoid the shallow reef spots and the dozens of associated boats once more and carry on with our “winter fishing in summer” sorta thing out front and along bluffs that worked for us last week. Glad we did! Got a very nice hatchery 11 lbder that popped the pin after about an hour, trolling against the ebb. That thing fought like it was twice the size and kept sounding straight down near the boat. Around 10:30am got another pin popper and I handed the rod to my wife since it was on the rod we designate as “hers”. As soon as I did that it took off and after long runs and some give and take she got tired and handed the rod back to me and eventually she netted a lovely 21 lbder for us both. Later on we got another 11lb fish, unclipped this time, which hit as I was retrieving after I had bounced bottom a few times and erroneously suspected there was a rock fish there. By now the flood was really pushing so we quit.
All fish came to anchovy at 92’ on the rigger in about 90 feet of water.

Below is my wife with the 21 lb fish.
..21lbChinook.jpg

Way to go,englishman!That's a great day of fishing right there.Bet it helps the confidence as well. I predict your first
tyee in the boat this year.No one deserves it more.Keep doing what your doing and it will come.Congrats!

yep nice!......

you call 90ft deep?...

I know what you mean SF. That is why I used the term "winter sorta' thing" in my description. I am not fishing at 50' over reefs in close to shore like traditional summer fishing in Sooke, nor am I fishing in 150'+ of water. However, I am fishing right on the bottom of a flat area normally thought of as a winter fishing spot....... don't know how best to describe it really. The best part is there is are very few boats there!!

Way to go,englishman!That's a great day of fishing right there.Bet it helps the confidence as well. I predict your first
tyee in the boat this year.No one deserves it more.Keep doing what your doing and it will come.Congrats!

Thx fshnfnatic. Don't know when tyee will happen but I am sure it will come as a big surprise!! Much appreciated.

Nice fish Roland. You did better then My old man and I. We ended up with a 15 and a 17 at the head 90 and 60ft. Anchovy in a bloodynose.

How many of you are catching fish that are empty inside? With the amount of bait around this comes seems strange to me. I used to look at the contents often but havent caught a fish with food inside for over a month. Anyone else findig this?

-KK

Yep Steve, same observation here. Last week's fish was empty and both 11 lbders yesterday's were also empty. The big fish had one three inch herring only. Does seem odd, although the fish seem healthy, especially the hatchery ones, which seem to fight very hard, unless I am imagining it.........

Need to start checking the stomach's for sure for contents as I haven't really noticed them being empty or full... but caught a nice wild 18 last trip in the evening bite around 630 and it was the slimy-ist fish I had ever caught.. nice red inside, outside appearance was good but still dangerous to walk on the boat deck after a couple rinses.

Back